Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims in Cadillac SRX Forums; Unfortunately, I ran up against a curb and the chrome tech wheel rims on my 2012SRX got scratched and kinda ...
    SRX312 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims

Unfortunately, I ran up against a curb and the chrome tech wheel rims on my 2012SRX got scratched and kinda bruised in a spot. Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy one new wheel at the dealership or online? Do people normally replace a wheel when it gets damaged from the curb or does it happen so much that you just live with it? Can these things be repaired to look like new or is it just better to buy a new one? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims

Quote Originally Posted by SRX312 View Post
    Unfortunately, I ran up against a curb and the chrome tech wheel rims on my 2012SRX got scratched and kinda bruised in a spot. Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy one new wheel at the dealership or online? Do people normally replace a wheel when it gets damaged from the curb or does it happen so much that you just live with it? Can these things be repaired to look like new or is it just better to buy a new one? Thank you.
    Unfortunately, the answer is no. Chrome Tech wheels are comprised of a chrome plated plastic cap that's permanently bonded to an alloy wheel. The layer of chrome is too thin to be repairable.

I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds, nor am I being sarcastic, but I'm beginning to believe I'm the only one on here who tilts the exterior rear-view mirrors down when parallel parking. This allows you to see exactly where your wheels are in relation to the curb. I've been doing this for decades and have never even scraped a tire against the curb, let alone a chrome wheel. The SRX can even be programmed (via the Config Menu) to do this for you automatically. Might be a good habit for everyone to practice.

Sube

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Once the wheel has been touched by either a car-wash or curbs it is over! You can't repair them only replace them. The cost is between $650-$700.00. The car-washes and our severe winters up north and tons of salt made me think twice on getting the Chrome wheels again. I choose the safer of the two options this time around.

No doubt those chrome wheels are very beautiful... you just can't touch them from any angle or you are done! I should know, I had GM replace all four due to pitting over the winter months (GM will only replace them once) and two more due to carwash damage ... That was enough to get me to change back over to the standard rims.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

If we ever damage one, I will look at aftermarket chrome rims. You can get a set of four for not a whole lot more than one chrome tech. Thankfully here in the south we don't have to contend with salt on the roads. just wives that use the curb as a feeler.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

PM me with your email address, zipcode and VIN and I can get you a price quote with shipping

(You will need to get yourself up to 10 posts before you can use the PM system...)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Unfortunately, the answer is no. Chrome Tech wheels are comprised of a chrome plated plastic cap that's permanently bonded to an alloy wheel. The layer of chrome is too thin to be repairable.

I'm not trying to rub salt in your wounds, nor am I being sarcastic, but I'm beginning to believe I'm the only one on here who tilts the exterior rear-view mirrors down when parallel parking. This allows you to see exactly where your wheels are in relation to the curb. I've been doing this for decades and have never even scraped a tire against the curb, let alone a chrome wheel. The SRX can even be programmed (via the Config Menu) to do this for you automatically. Might be a good habit for everyone to practice.

Sube
    Just to chime in on what Ponyman said, when the wife has the SRX all bets are off, even with the tilting mirrors. My wife can scrape the rims going forwards or backwards. Backup sensors and cameras? Don't get me started. Parking in the tightest possible parking spot in the lots to cut down on the walk to the store door and insure carnage......

PJ

wag 42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 SRX4 2.8T Premium-Platinum Ice-Chrome Tech-RSE

Check ebay...

11RavenBlack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD Performance; 05 Harley-Davidson Road King

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    Once the wheel has been touched by either a car-wash or curbs it is over! You can't repair them only replace them. The cost is between $650-$700.00. The car-washes and our severe winters up north and tons of salt made me think twice on getting the Chrome wheels again. I choose the safer of the two options this time around.

No doubt those chrome wheels are very beautiful... you just can't touch them from any angle or you are done! I should know, I had GM replace all four due to pitting over the winter months (GM will only replace them once) and two more due to carwash damage ... That was enough to get me to change back over to the standard rims.
    Not to sound stupid, but how does a car wash damage rims? I use automatic car wash at least once a week and haven't noticed any damage.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

If it is touchless, then probably no. If it has brushes that touch your vehicle, or it is one of those that grab a wheel and pull the vehicle though, then very likely.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 11RavenBlack View Post
    Not to sound stupid, but how does a car wash damage rims? I use automatic car wash at least once a week and haven't noticed any damage.
    First there are NO stupid questions ...

As we all know most automatic car washes have a chain drive system. Those car washes will have padding on their rails and if you were to hit a rail hard enough it can cause permanent damage to a wheel especially if that wheel is made of chrome over plastic. How is that you say? Well If a vehicle approaches the rail system slightly off angle the chain-drive system will pull or yank a car into the proper guide path or alignment. I know because I have had that happen to me more than once.

The miss-alignment can happen when a driver gets temporary blinded by a soap covered windshield where one may not be able to see the proper rail guide path. That happens when a worker sprays your windshield with a soapy spray to help cut the grime and bugs off it (and you have to allow that soap to saturate the dirt and bugs long enough before you clear the windshield off). This process can block your view just long enough so that you will not be able to see how your approach is going. If that happens you will get caught going into the rail system off angle. The chain will then actually pull your vehicle into proper alignment which can cause the car's driver side wheel to hit the side guide rail very hard. If you hit the guide rail hard enough it can cause a fractured stress mark on your chrome over plastic covered wheel. Hitting a wheel that is made of chrome over plastic will be disastrous because any direct hard hit will crack or break the surface of the 20" chrome hubcap. I call it a hubcap because it is not one solid chrome piece wheel. If you look very closely you will see that the chrome over plastic portion is actually pressed onto the rim. You can see that it is actually a two step process if you were to look more closely at rim.

Yes one beautiful wheel ... but one very sensitive one!

This is precisely why I don't trust "ANY" automated car wash. And if you think the risk is limited to chrome wheels, you're mistaken. I've known people who have had regular alloy wheels damaged by car washes as well.

Solution? Hand washing. It's the only option that makes sense. Even in the winter, as long as the temperature is above freezing, you'll find me hand washing my car in the driveway. With a good pair of heavy duty insulated rubber gloves, you'll never know the difference.

Sube

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

lol reading the post above made me laugh at the sound of the words chrome over. sounds like comb over. Which is kinda what these chrome tech wheels they are basicall like a comb over to hide something else

11RavenBlack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD Performance; 05 Harley-Davidson Road King

Well, I just found a new job for my daughter - designated car washer.

Quote Originally Posted by 11RavenBlack View Post
    Well, I just found a new job for my daughter - designated car washer.
    Nothing wrong with that. I was my Dad's designated car washer throughout my teen years. He never could figure out why I was always so enthusiastic about washing his car. It was because I was secretly sneaking and driving it. Told him years later and we both had a good laugh about it.

Sube

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I find it hard to believe that the better wheel shops cannot repair these types of chrome tech rims. I need to call my local rim repair place I use and get their take on this. Their parking lot is always filled with upscale cars, original and modified. Local auto dealerships, including MB, BMW, Acura, Lexus, Infinity, etc.) all use this place as an outsource shop, even on new vehicles that arrive at the dealership with a wheel flaw. Cadillac rims cannot be unique in this regard, or are they?

PJ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.