Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims in Cadillac SRX Forums; we have used a really good wheel repair guy locally for some years now and he says there's nothing that ...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Damage to my chrome tech wheel rims

we have used a really good wheel repair guy locally for some years now and he says there's nothing that can be done (since it's plastic)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    we have used a really good wheel repair guy locally for some years now and he says there's nothing that can be done (since it's plastic)
    Jim You would think that there be would be a process put in place to be able to remove the damaged chrome (cap) section and be able to then get a new chrome cap and press it back onto the rim?

Well since you can't buy a chrome cap to press back on the rim... so that's going to be a problem

and i would think the only way to get the chrome cap off is to melt it off the metal
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

I would think that it may be an issue because the adhesive and amount used if not pretty precise could make for balancing issues couldn't it?

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

You would be amazed at how out of wack alloy rims can be, even fresh out of the factory. Spend some time at a tire balancing place and they will be happy to share with you their horror stories, complete with vehicle brands where the wheels are worse than others!!!!

PJ

rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Even in the winter, as long as the temperature is above freezing, you'll find me hand washing my car in the driveway.
    Better still... We had our builder add a hose bib off of the garage with a shower controller for it on the inside of the garage. I can wash the car with hot or cold water (or anywhere in between). The neighbors know when I am washing my car in the winter - they can see the steam rising from the driveway!

Randy

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rtsittner View Post
    Better still... We had our builder add a hose bib off of the garage with a shower controller for it on the inside of the garage. I can wash the car with hot or cold water (or anywhere in between). The neighbors know when I am washing my car in the winter - they can see the steam rising from the driveway!

Randy

OK, now I'm officially jealous.

Sube

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    Once the wheel has been touched by either a car-wash or curbs it is over! You can't repair them only replace them. The cost is between $650-$700.00. The car-washes and our severe winters up north and tons of salt made me think twice on getting the Chrome wheels again. I choose the safer of the two options this time around.

No doubt those chrome wheels are very beautiful... you just can't touch them from any angle or you are done! I should know, I had GM replace all four due to pitting over the winter months (GM will only replace them once) and two more due to carwash damage ... That was enough to get me to change back over to the standard rims.
    I had a member ask me again about the Chrome Wheels and what were some of the concerns or issues I had and or a few of our other members had.

First, I want to restate that they are BEAUTIFUL wheels and for those who live in the warmer climates and don't mind spending the extra time in maintaining them and being careful with them they are GREAT wheels.

NOTE: A new member wanted me to post a photo of a pitted rim so here it is. Remembering those that have harsh winters (lots of salt) I believe it will be very difficult not to keep your wheels (pit free) clean. I washed my vehicle at least 3 times a week and still I got some pitting.

This photo is not my old 2010 SRX wheel but a friend of mine who lives near me. He had the same issues I had but has not taken them in to the dealer yet for an exchange. I think he is waiting until near the end of his warranty coverage.
    Attached Images

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

These are listed on the gmpartsdirect.com website for 2012 SRX's, could this be the answer?
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19258468
    Bill

#19258468 - that's actually a package of four part number ... just fyi - i think you'll have to buy four

not sure if they come with the center cap (although the picture does show it with center cap wheels rarely/never come with a center cap)

i'm very interested what GMPD want's for 'processing and handling' aka shipping charges

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

My only experience with GMPD was bad. They had a set of running boards for my HHR. Decent price, and decent shipping. I ordered them, and they came back saying they had the peice wrong and wanted another $150 or so. The old bait and switch. I emphatically told them to go H__L and got them from another source. A month or so later, another HHR owner on the HHR forum had the exact thing happen to her through GMPD. Down to the penny what they wanted extra over their listed price. Now wouldn't you think a reputable vendor would have corrected their pricing error after the first time. Assuming that my problem was the first time.

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

I have had poor experiences with GMPARTSDIRECT so I went on line to buy the wheels. Guess what it's a package of four wheels/covers at a Total:$1,328.29. Another rip off by GMPD. I ran the part number with several other GM parts sites and discovered them at 302 a piece with 20 dollars to ship. I'll have to call to see what this part really is; a cover or a wheel, does this mean the chrome part of the wheels can be separated and replaced?
    Bill

it's a wheel... but you have to buy the package ... their price is what each wheel costs inside that package

i can sell them individually (by their individual part numbers) but they cost a little bit more

GM's accessory wheels always have this weird two or three part number mess going on and just looking at a single part number is deceiving

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Another place to avoid is www.newgmparts.com. I ordered a rear fascia cover from these folks. I was emphatic when informing them of the specific part no. These idiots proceeded to send a rear fascia cover for a completely different vehicle. It wasn't even close in design or color. When I informed them of their error, they first accused me of ordering the wrong part. However, I shut them up quickly when I forwarded their own confirmation email listing the correct part no. Even the box it came in had the wrong part no. printed on the outside label. It was if somebody just picked up the first fascia cover they came across and decided to ship it to me. Stevie Wonder could have done a better job with my order! I returned the incorrect part with a lengthy detailed letter. I also enclosed a copy of the UPS receipt in the package. Based on their own policy from their website, I was entitled to a refund for my return shipping costs. After waiting several days after I confirmed their receipt of the package, I contacted them to ask about my refund. I was told it was coming. After more emails and phone calls, the original person I spoke to (Jason) mysteriously never seemed to be available. After being intentionally ignored for several weeks, I finally had to ask for Jason's supervisor. I explained the entire situation to him, whereupon he stated he'd have to confirm everything. After that was done, he finally agreed to credit my CC for the shipping cost......AFTER TWO WHOLE MONTHS OF HAGGLING!!! Imagine that. It took me $100 worth of effort to recoup $10.38. It was never about the money. It was the principle. I shouldn't have to pay for their mistake. Moral of the story? Avoid this place like the plague.

Sube

MnMs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
    These are listed on the gmpartsdirect.com website for 2012 SRX's, could this be the answer?
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19258468
    Bill
    It looks like the actual wheel, all four would cost $1,328.29 ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.