UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less! in Cadillac SRX Forums; I thought I would start a thread up to show your improvements made to enhance the look of your SRX. ...
    Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Cool UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less!

I thought I would start a thread up to show your improvements made to enhance the look of your SRX.

What do you see or notice in rear of the SRX photo below? (That drives me nuts)

Have you ever noticed or followed a SRX around town? Did you happen to see the silver lower rear axle arms and the large muffler under the bumper and wish it didn't stand out so much? If so ... you have noticed the same thing I have and wondered why GM doesn't have their muffler vendors paint all their mufflers to match the undercarriage!

A friend of mine and I were talking when he first bought his new SS Orange Camaro. We both stared at the rear of his beautiful Camaro and said why oh why didn't GM paint their mufflers a mat-black finish to hide the muffler???

Below you can see two examples of before and after that drove me to finally painting the mufflers! First one is my 2012 SRX and the second is my wife's 2011 GMC Terrain.

So.... what are your thoughts of the UN-painted mufflers and or rear axle areas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Re: FUG-UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less!

I always though the same to myself. I thought about doing it but wasnt sure. Now that I see it I will def do it, looks great ! what type of paint did you use ? high heat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    I always though the same to myself. I thought about doing it but wasnt sure. Now that I see it I will def do it, looks great ! what type of paint did you use ? high heat ?
    I used a small pint of "mat" black finish made by Rustoleum. The paint which is designed for painting the extreme heat of a charcoal grill so it should be able to withstand the high temps of a muffler too.

My friend with the SS Camaro says it is holding up very well and looks great even after he painted his a year and half ago.

I've used similar stuff/high heat out of a rattle can before on a downpipe on one of my previous cars and it held up great. You just have to heat treat it after you coat it so it "burns" in

Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

I love it . . . . so ummm. . .when can I come over so you can do mine? lol

duke11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red SRX Premium

Marc, I LOVE IT!! I will definitely paint the mufflers and rear axle areas of my 2012 SRX. Did you spray or brush the black paint. Also did you have a lift to raise to get under the car. I am not to handy so I will go to a local body shop. You said the paint is for charcoal grills, did you buy from Home Depot or Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I love it . . . . so ummm. . .when can I come over so you can do mine? lol
    Sure I would be glad to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by duke11 View Post
    Marc, I LOVE IT!! I will definitely paint the mufflers and rear axle areas of my 2012 SRX. Did you spray or brush the black paint. Also did you have a lift to raise to get under the car. I am not to handy so I will go to a local body shop. You said the paint is for charcoal grills, did you buy from Home Depot or Lowes.
    I hand brushed the mat black heat paint while on my sides and back. Good thing I have long arms. Use safety glasses and an old hat too. Lay a drop cloth underneath you so you don't drip paint on your garage floor or drivway... unless you have a black top driveway.

BTW: You can buy Rustoleum type paint at any hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes.

Hey, if you know someone who has a garage you can have them do an oil change and then ask them if you can paint the muffer and arms while he is changing your oil... opps forget that idea I forgot that Cadillac now changes your oil for free the first 4 years.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Great job Marc! That really improves & completes the look of the rear of the vehicle. I'd want to do the same when taking delivery of a new SRX.
    I can't imagine any future issues in painting these components. Did you happen to clear the job with your dealer prior to painting? I ask this only from a new vehicle warranty coverage point of view.

Actually I never thought of clearing it with the dealer but I guess it is too late now... To be honest with you I wouldn't think that coating a muffler with heat paint would cause any serious warranty issues.

However, I will ask the next time I am at the dealership.

*Just got off the phone with service guy and agreed that it would look much better painted. He said he didn't think there would be any problem with warranty unless the muffler failed do to the extra thin coating of paint.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I agree that it looks much better with the flat black paint on the black SRX. I have the Platinum Ice and am wondering if I should do the same or just leave it alone. The black on mine might stick out worse than the aluminum look. Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I agree that it looks much better with the flat black paint on the black SRX. I have the Platinum Ice and am wondering if I should do the same or just leave it alone. The black on mine might stick out worse than the aluminum look. Comments?
    Steve if you use a mat black finish on the muffler and lower control arm it will blend in very nicely with the lower trim molding on the SRX and IMO will not stick out. Even a gloss or flat black would be much better appearance than looking at the silver rear control arms and the silver (before it rusts) muffler that also shows up under the trim.

Again because the bottom molding is a semi mat black finish I believe no matter what color your SRX is... it will definitely look much better or cleaner looking with a mat-finish painted on those parts.

*The mufflers on the 2012 appear to be a lot lower and or bigger and thus shows up even "worse" than the 2010-2011 SRXs do.

**BTW: I have always liked my vehicles to have a nice clean looking (underneath) rear end!

***Take a good peek at my SSR rear end!

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Hey Marc, I did same when she was 2 mos old for same reasons. Sorry I too didn't share the idea. Just assumed anyone would see it themselves. My lapse. But you came thru and it sure looks great. I've done it in past also on other rides including my neighbors Honda Pilot, which has a HIDEOUS rear view under her skirt. Honda even ran the exhaust pipes UNDER the split axles! (watch that curb!!) Looks very mechanical and cheap ....until I painted it for him with Rustoleum Hi-Heat. Works great! Ever see a '05-09 GMC Envoy/Chevy Equinox tail? Big drum muffler hanging down.....until presto. It's "gone" with good ole Rusty! LOL New Nox/Rains are just as bad , if ya get the V-6. I guess they think nobody looks under the sheets LOL

Enjoy that new ride!

SS

Yikes I was just told by my contact at Cadillac that my concern or issue with the rear of the SRX being painted was the first that they have ever heard about. At the looks of some of our members here they seem to agree that the SRX would look so much nicer if GM would paint their mufflers and control arms semi mat black finish. This would help take ones eyes off of those parts and be able to focus on the true beauty of the SRX.

Here is what I heard back in my email.

Hey Marc,

... I appreciate your comments regarding the rear axle and certainly do not take them personally. Honestly, I have been on the SRX program since 2008 (about 1 year prior to launch) and you are the first person to bring forward this concern. I forwarded your comments to a few people on the team and even received the comment that "the SRX has beautiful aluminum that some may suggest looks good without paint." I think it's safe to say that this particular area is quite subjective and depends on individual tastes.

Anyway, it appears that overall you are very happy with your new 2012 SRX and I hope you will continue to have many happy miles in front of you.

All the best,

Tony

So what do you think? I think there are many SRX owners who feel the same as some of us do about the undercarriage of the SRX. I think we should conduct a poll and send GM a message that there are way more than one customer that thinks the SRX needs to have the undercarriage painted.

What do you think?

lol...i'm sure gm saved some money by NOT painting every single car in their lineup with exposed aluminum. Its all just cost savings

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Not to mention, usually when you have it undercoated, they usually hide some of that grey.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.