UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less! in Cadillac SRX Forums; Thanks for this tip!!! Just did mine and think it was so easy and looks so great that I did ...
    RickUSAF is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX Performance

Re: FUG-UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less!

Thanks for this tip!!! Just did mine and think it was so easy and looks so great that I did my 2012 Camaro also... both look Great now. Thanks again!!!
    Smaller after shot.jpgAfter both done.JPG
    Marc NY likes this.

crump13 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony

I love the look of the blacked out muffler. I will definitely be doing this mod when I get my SRX back from service. Thanks for the suggestion

~Tina~

JBG1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX Performance - Graphite/Titanium

If you notice on the "build your own" site, it would appear if Cadillac has also made this modification. Just expand the graphic. Also the same in the '14 brochure. I haven't checked to see if this is a change for '14, but it's interesting.

Movinon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance

My 2014 SRX, Performance was built in Nov. It is bare metal as far as the exhaust and other parts you can see under it at the rear.
    Tom

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    Yeah it looks like the pictures on the web are just photo shopped to black out the muffler. The 2013 and 2014 pictures look the same to me from the back anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by srochwerg View Post
    I've noticed some have the muffler showing and some don't even for 2012 and 13. Is it possible the sport suspension or 4x4 requires a different muffler? Even some 3.6 motors seem to have different mufflers, some protrude lower and some don't. Any thoughts?
    As far as the 2012 & 2013 SRXs having different size mufflers I would tend to believe you might have been comparing 2010s or 2011 SRXs for I have not seen any 3.6 L SRXs having varing muffler sizes. As you know the 2010 & 2011 had smaller mufflers sized for the 3.0 L engine. When the larger 3.6L engine came out in 2012 the mufflers were increased in size to accommodate for the larger engine and to also helped achieve added HP too.

Quote Originally Posted by RickUSAF View Post
    Thanks for this tip!!! Just did mine and think it was so easy and looks so great that I did my 2012 Camaro also... both look great now. Thanks again!!!
    Attachment 150313Attachment 150321
    Looks a whole lot nicer now and really blends in great!

I just painted my muffler and the 2 trailing arms. I used a quart of BBQ Black Rust-oleum in the can. When I opened the can the paint really looked thin. so I stirred it quite a bit making sure there were no deposits at the bottom.
    When I started to paint, it still went on very thin leaving numerous brush marks on the muffler. I looked on the can to see how long to wait for the second coat, it stated that a second coat was not recommended. I put on a second coat and it looks like it could use one more coat. The trailing arms took the paint a lot better.
    Tom

I got my SRX back from service yesterday and I have this on my agenda to do this weekend. :-)

~Tina~
    Maxplot likes this.

I painted mine in the garage, but I should have done it outside. The garage really smells, even the next day.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Movinon View Post
    I painted mine in the garage, but I should have done it outside. The garage really smells, even the next day.
    Tom
    I will keep that in mind.

~Tina~

Gold Mist 08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-4 V6, 1995 Eldorado

Marc,

Great job, and I'm glad to hear that it just isn't me that thought the same thing about the silver look. I do the same thing with my 1998 Corvette and I will do the same with my wife's 2011 SRX.
    Thanks for posting your results.

Bill

Re: UGLY to Beautiful in 15 Min or Less!

Quick question to anyone that has done this. The can of paint indicates to wait 24 hours before heat should be applied to the painted area. Did y'all wait the full 24 hours before driving your vehicle?

I have been wanting to do this for a few weeks now but I can't seem to find a 24 hour window of time where I won't need to drive my SRX.

~Tina~

I painted it in the afternoon and drove it about 14 hours later. It took me 3 coats, 2 the first day and the 3rd coat the following day before all the brush marks were gone. The paint goes on really thin.
    The first coat I just painted the back and a little over half of the bottom going toward the front. When I pulled up behind it in my other car you could see where I stopped painting. I didn't realize you could see that much of the bottom of the muffler, so of course I painted the rest. It looks perfect now.

Mark Bo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac SRX

I will be doing this mod this weekend. Maybe we need to start a thread to show off your mods. The first post of this thread speaks to showing off your mods, but only addresses one mod throughout the thread.

That would be helpful. I have run out of ideas of reasonable things to do with my SRX. It would be nice to see some mods that other owner's have done. I had the front door windows tinted; hard wired & hard mounted my radar detector, under the mirror; painted the muffler & trailing arms with BBQ black rust-o-leum; put in Lloyd floor mats; had the dealer throw in the spare tire kit during the negotiating process and used my heat gun to remove the dealer name on the tailgate. I'm still thinking of installing a vertical package net at the aft end, of the cargo area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.