Chrome Wheel Injured on my SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Chrome Wheel Injured on my SRX in Cadillac SRX Forums; Over the weekend I was driving through an ATM drive through when I took a corner short and scratched the ...
    Eagle19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Turbo Platinum Ice

Chrome Wheel Injured on my SRX

Over the weekend I was driving through an ATM drive through when I took a corner short and scratched the chrome wheel right down to the plastic (I didn't realize it's a plastic wheel with a chrome cover). A piece of the chrome, about the size of a dime fell off as I was looking at it. At the end of the day, its not a huge blemish, and not something that stands out unless I point it out.

That all said, I love this car more then any other car, and knowing that its there, bugs the crap out of me. So does anyone have any recommendations on fixing it? Who I need to buy a whole new rim? Is there a type of patch OR paint I can dab on it?

One word after I did it... ARGH!

Thanks in-advance!

A happy SRX owner!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Re: Chrome Wheel Injured on my SRX

I feel your pain!

I too had a damaged rim and I believe there is no real way you can fix your wheel it will only get worse over time. Chrome over aluminum looks so beautiful because of the freedom of designs that can be made. Again, once damaged I believe there is no repair that can help you out!

The wheel lists out at approx. $620.00 US and that is certainly a high price wheel. Remember that you will have to add in the cost of mounting and balancing the new wheel plus tax too. I too tried painting the damages but the damage only gets worse as time goes on.

I decided to order my new 2012 with the new 20" machined wheels because I know sooner or later either a car wash rail or something else will come in contact with one of those beautiful chrome wheels again. Up here in the WNY area we get a lot of snow and along with the snow a lot of salt too. All four of my rims started pitting in the upper inner corners and the dealer told me that GM will replace them only once. I know at least one friend of mine who has the chrome wheels also showed me his rims. Low and behold his were doing the exact same thing as mine had. BTW: These were his second set of wheels ... his dealer put on the first set of chrome rims on his Luxury SRX and get this. They damaged 3 out of 4 rims with their tire machine. Wow! That is what scares me the most is having a dealership replace the rims and do some physical damage to the rims in the process.

I hope your choice of options that you have will work out for you.

Lencarguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX AWD Premium, Platinum Ice/Ebony

This was from another post. Go to www.awrswheelrepair.com to find a franchise in your area. They will fix the wheel for less than $150.00. Good luck, I feel your pain.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Lencarguy View Post
    This was from another post. Go to www.awrswheelrepair.com to find a franchise in your area. They will fix the wheel for less than $150.00. Good luck, I feel your pain.
    What I saw in that short video was that process they use is not for fixing chrome over aluminum wheels.

I don't believe they can fix the damage(s) to the 20" Chrome wheels that we have on our SRXs.

Squiggly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT

I, being a spoiled brat, would just have all the wheels taken off stripped and re-chromed. It would probably last longer too considering GM does terrible chrome platings

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I doubt that would work on the plastic chrome covers. I would either try to find one that someone has taken off, or maybe invest in a set of aftemarket chrome wheels. They make some awesome aftermarket wheels, and some of them are priced right. Of course you would have to buy a complete set, but Ibet you could get two of them for the price of one replacement.

smiley47 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon Black Diamond Tri-Coat

I have 4 Chrome Techs I took off my 2010 SRX. Near perfect shape but no TPMS sensors. Sell all 4 for $600 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Scottsdale, AZ.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.