New Brake Pad Composition
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SRXCool
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, New Brake Pad Composition in Cadillac SRX Forums; At 27500 miles, developed an occasional squeaking from rear wheels: diagnosed as brake pads - and will be replaced under ...
    SRXCool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance AWD 3.0

New Brake Pad Composition

At 27500 miles, developed an occasional squeaking from rear wheels: diagnosed as brake pads - and will be replaced under warranty with new composition pads - on order at the moment. Original pads have been redesigned, apparently. Anyone else hear of this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: New Brake Pad Composition

Quote Originally Posted by SRXCool View Post
    At 27500 miles, developed an occasional squeaking from rear wheels: diagnosed as brake pads - and will be replaced under warranty with new composition pads - on order at the moment. Original pads have been redesigned, apparently. Anyone else hear of this?
    That's the first I've heard of redesigned brake pads. I'm glad they're replacing them under warranty. This should help with your problem. However, personally for me I'm not sure if new composition brake pads are a good thing or bad thing. Mine make no noise whatsoever, stop smoothly and produce absolutely no brake dust. I can't ask for more than that. I just hope the new design is as "dustless" as the originals.

I always thought brakes "squeaking" was an intentional indicator that you need new brakes. At 27,500 miles that might be the case. Did they say how worn your brake pads were?

Sube

Sube
    I agree with you completely - I really like the dust-free and very smooth braking. I thought I needed new pads too - and was surprised when they said they were in good shape - just needed some new formulation. They said a TSB was out on it - but I couldn't find one. I will ask tomorrow when I go in for the work.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

They said they were in good shape - just needed some new formulation.
    I'm a little confused. I thought this was a newly formulated brake pad. What do you mean by "new formulation"? Is this some treatment done to the existing brake pads?

Sube

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

revising pads materials is not uncommon, especially for resolving squealing or corrosive brake dust (yes, chrome hates that dust!) Chrysler/Volvo have done it for years. Squealing when coasting, IS a warning of worn pads as SUBE states. I'm sure they are just replacing pads (maybe even with same exact same type, with a rotor cut!) to nicely accommodate the customer? Never heard of existing pads being tampered with, in any way. Just comm confusion I suspect..

Rear brakes on a FWD oriented sled should last 50K miles minimum, as the front brakes do 80% of the average braking on such vehicles. AWD makes little diff as the chassis engineering is same.

Interesting info though.... keep us up!

SS

Picked up car today. Here's what they did under warranty: "Replace rear brake caliper brackets and pads. Verified noise coming from rear brakes. Bulletin found to replace the rear pads and brackets. Rotors too thin to resurface. Replaced rear brake caliper brackets, pads and rotors."

The service manager told me that they had to order "the new, redesigned and reformulated brake pads along with the new caliper brackets". Mileage: 27,635 miles.

I'm happy it was under warranty. Love the car !!
    georule likes this.

So, after above repair, I now have what sounds like a couple of "clunks" coming from rear drive train area (differential, axle ??) upon starting from a stop. Happens during acceleration from stop - but not always. Seems worse in morning - seems to go away when warmed up. Feels like something is slipping - and then engages suddenly, maybe two or three times - then is quiet as speed goes above about 25 or 30. Also, noticed an occasional scuffing noise coming from rear when turning sharply at slow speeds, as when parking. Both of these new noises began at the same time, a day or so after brake work noted in previous post. Coincidence ? Related ? Any thoughts ?

otherresources is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

SRXCool,
    I am currently having the same problem you had & can't get the dealership to pin point the squeal. I have less than 26,000 miles, originally was told I needed my front rotor resurfaced. I did that to include new brake pads even though the metallic ones that was on it had 9mm of padding. This didn't fix the problem nor was it covered under warranty. Took it back & was told the back rotor need resurfacing. I made such a fuss that they resurfaced the back but I still have the squeaking when going down an incline and when lightly applying the brakes. By any chance do you have detailed info on the bulletin you mentioned?
    As far as the clunking, mine was also making that clunking sound. The dealership replaced my fuel tank per a bulletin.

adamjeeps is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Performance FWD

So, after above repair, I now have what sounds like a couple of "clunks" coming from rear drive train area (differential, axle ??) upon starting from a stop. Happens during acceleration from stop - but not always. Seems worse in morning - seems to go away when warmed up. Feels like something is slipping - and then engages suddenly, maybe two or three times - then is quiet as speed goes above about 25 or 30. Also, noticed an occasional scuffing noise coming from rear when turning sharply at slow speeds, as when parking. Both of these new noises began at the same time, a day or so after brake work noted in previous post. Coincidence ? Related ? Any thoughts ?
    Give everything a few days to settle/break in. IF it still happens after a week, take it back in.

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

I disagree with Adam about waiting, I would take it back and have it checked asap.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I see some of you are having problems with your brakes, if you would like me or my partner Laura to help work on any of these issues with you feel free to PM us and we would be happy to help!

Greg W.
    Cadillac Customer Service

otherresources is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Greg W.

Yes, I need your help! How do I "PM" you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.