Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Hatch was OPEN all day long!

10K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Engreps 
#1 ·
So yesterday I came out of work and my hatch on my 2010 was wide open! I was SHOCKED to say the least! I have never had that happen before and I am always very careful handling the remote. Get out of the car, lock it and hear the horn toot and then walk away. I park at the far end of the lot where nobody else parks. Are there any vehicle door lock settings I can program so incase this happens again,the door will automatically shut after 5 min? I tried to check in the settings yesterday when I driving home but figured I would just come here to see what you all have to say.

I'm so glad the battery didn't drain or anything bad like that.....it was a hot sunny day....disaster if it would have been raining! I got LUCKY!

#2 ·
This happened to me too. I was at an outdoor concert. I glanced over and noticed the hatch was open. Luckily, the car was in sight. I was seated within range of the remote and was able to close it without leaving my seat. This had to have happened to you WHILE YOU WERE STILL WITHIN RANGE OF THE REMOTE. There's an easy way to prevent this in the future. If you're away from the car but within range of the remote, turn the hatch release button on the driver's door to the "Off" position. It's surprisingly easy to inadvertently press the hatch release button on the remote. For this reason, some car remotes require "two" consecutive presses of the button to open the hatch, as opposed to one 2-second press. It's almost impossible to accidentally press the button two times within a few seconds. By the way, leaving the hatch open does not drain the battery at all. Once it's open, there's no power being used.

Sube

#3 ·
my previous sled was an Enclave (Buick SUV). Some owners had to have the RF receiver replaced. It would short/reboot internally, and open the hatch by itself. If I recall, it was outside temp Dependant for some owners. One owner proved his dilemma by actually removing the remotes batts at nite, to find the hatch open in morning........Keep a close eye on it.

You can of course do as Sube recco's for a sure remedy, but then if you come back with your own cargo to load, it won't open for you either. Let's hope ya accidentally hit it, while within a boosted range. (like holding remote under chin for a boost range of 2-3 times or more, under some circumstances)

SS

#5 ·
Makes sense. Maybe try leaving the switch ON ( door) if ya park it nearby in your driveway or other open space, not near a wall or other car.... If it doesn't do it again in "10 tests" I'd carefully park it again, for controlled periods, with switch ON .

Good luck!

SS

#6 · (Edited)
Most likely the rear lift gate button was accidentally activated. I have come out once or twice to find my gate open and I just assumed it was accidentally activated by myself when I moved my keys around.

As far as the battery running down it should not happen. The interior lights should automatically shut off after approx. 10 min. that will help prevent your battery from draining. Another reason for that feature is for those that like to go camping and leave their rear hatches or doors open.

Note: My SSR rear tonneau (lid) has a light in it and I will keep my rear lid open for some car shows I go to and it goes off in 10 minutes which allows me to leave it open for hours at a time. :)

#7 ·
I think all the buttons on the remote are too sensitive. If for example you have something in your pocket press on the "unlock" button in your pocket ,the doors will unlock and all the windows will go down. What a surprise when I got back to my SRX and saw what had happen. I was lucky ,I was only got for a minute.. Try it by holding down the unlock button by hand and see what happens.

#8 ·
That feature is very handy indeed especially in very hot weather ... remember your windows won't go down accidentally or by merely pressing the unlock button. In order for that to happen you would need to hold the UNLOCK button down for at least 3-5 seconds.

To me, it would seem highly unlikely to happen by just merely bumping into or pushing the unlock button accidentally, again it would require direct and steady pressure to make that feature work.

Perhaps if you had your spouse or friend stand on you for awhile that might happen. LOL :D

Again just my 02.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
My hatch opened 3 times with ignition off and me sitting in the car keys in cupholder

The same thing happend to me. About 2 months ago, I was returning to my car after shoping for about 1 hr. I found my hatch wide open. I was sure that I had hit the door lock 2 times before I went into the shopping center. I also had the all door lock enabled on the car, becuase ocassionally I have the grand kids. Then, 1 month later I was sitting in my car at the golf course the hatch opended 3 times with me sitting in the car. My keys were laying in the cup holder. I thought my husband was nearby so I closed the hatch each time. But my husband did not return for another half hour. I took the car to heritage cadillac and was told that this never happends, they have never heard of this happening. I must have hit the hatch switch. They said or someone else was on the same frequency. Well today, I am sitting at work, my keys are on my desk, It is raining outside, there are only 2 cars in the parking lot. One of my co-workers drove by my car to circle the parking lot, as he came back around, he said he saw had opened. He said it was not opened when he initially drove by, it had opened in the 2-3 min it had taken him to circle the parkinglot. I am so glad I had a witness. Cadillac needs to own up to this. I too have a 2010 SRX.

Welcome to CF !!! Your account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct age, approximate location and car owned. Also, correct time zone.
Thanks, CF Staff (This thread had been dead for 3.3 years ...........)

#13 ·
I have had the hatch to open several times. Two of the times the remote was laying on a table. I have had the hatch to open when I was getting in
the car. The remote was in my hand, I know I didn't hit the hatch button. I heave also had the hatch to open when I opened a rear door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.