Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wider Tire Size for 2012 SRX

13K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  rhhold 
#1 ·
I will be buying a 12' SRX Performance in August. The original equipment is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP size 235/55/20. I am thinking of getting a wider tire size 265/50/20 with the Chrome Tech Rims. The wider tire has more of an aggressive look which I like. Has anyone gotten a wider tire for your SRX, if so how is the ride.

#2 ·
going that much wider I believe it would stick out the fender walls and splash crud all over the lower door panels. Not only that the only real benefit for wider tires is traction and in an awd suv the srx doesnt make enough power to need that. Thinner tires perform better in inclimate conditions also

#3 ·
Duke, it has been my experience in other vehicles that wider tires don't make as much difference in the ride quality as does the profile. The thinner the sidewall, the worse the ride quality. I have not put wider tires on my SRX, but have done so, and put lower profile tires on other vehicles, and the thinner sidewall always made for a worse ride.

#4 ·
Hi. First off,in addition to the above posters comments, the sizes you quote yield an approx 9 1/2" width (for the OE tire) vs an approx 10 1/2 " for the upgrade tire. So the extra 1" will make the tire 1/2 " fatter on inside and outside. Last time I looked that was a very close tolerance on the SRX. I recall the outer front shock assembly being only 3/4 " away from the OE tire wall. You may have a clearance problem when turning, at speed when tires flex? Close call.

The sidewalls are only about 3 millimeters different wall height (advantage upgraded tire) and thus should be a tiny,tiny bit softer ride. However the overall height (diameter ) of tire will be about 6 millimeters taller. (1/4 ") Again not too much bigger and shouldn't be a clearance problem? Speedo will be off by about 1/2 MPH. No biggie there.

If the larger tire clears the side spaces, my guess is you will not notice any real ride change. I do know what you mean about the aggressive look though. Always admired the Mercedes truck's fat tires!

Let us know, and best wishes when that 2012 baby arrives! Bet she really moves with the 3.6 eng!

An excellent source of data on tire comparison specs can be had here: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

SS

#9 ·
Just put wider tires on your SRX....It will just ruin the ride, handling, fuel mileage, performance and appearance!!!!!Don't ruin your nice looking
vehicle with wider tires. Leave it like you ordered it from the factory or if you bought it off the dealers lot.......

Likely

#10 ·
I'd check with the guy's a Tire Rack. They can tell you if there is a clearance issue. As for ride quality, since you are not going really small with the aspect ratio the ride will not be that bad. You may want to talk with the Tire Rack guys and ask about ride quality with different tire brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.