DRL Out When Turn Signals On
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, DRL Out When Turn Signals On in Cadillac SRX Forums; OK, my DRLs turn off on whichever side the turn signals are activated. That DRL comes back on as soon ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

DRL Out When Turn Signals On

OK, my DRLs turn off on whichever side the turn signals are activated. That DRL comes back on as soon as the turn signal stops. I've seen this occur with a CTS on the road and just assumed it was normal. However, today I noticed a 2011 SRX in my rear view mirror. It was turning. Both DRLs stayed on while the turn signal was active. I know it was 2011 because it was Mocha Steel, a color that didn't come out until 2011. Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine, or if they changed this for 2011. Can everyone with a 2010 please check theirs and let me know if this is normal? If it's supposed to work like this, no biggie. I just need to know if I have to get this looked at. Thanks!

Sube

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: DRL Out When Turn Signals On

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    OK, my DRLs turn off on whichever side the turn signals are activated. That DRL comes back on as soon as the turn signal stops. I've seen this occur with a CTS on the road and just assumed it was normal. However, today I noticed a 2011 SRX in my rear view mirror. It was turning. Both DRLs stayed on while the turn signal was active. I know it was 2011 because it was Mocha Steel, a color that didn't come out until 2011. Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine, or if they changed this for 2011. Can everyone with a 2010 please check theirs and let me know if this is normal? If it's supposed to work like this, no biggie. I just need to know if I have to get this looked at. Thanks!

Sube
    My DRL on the same side turn signal goes off as well and I have a 2010.

Thanks for checking that, Steve. Either you and I coincidentally have the same defect, or they changed this for 2011. I'm leaning toward the latter. I'm trying to figure out if either design has an advantage, although it's nothing I plan on losing sleep over.

Sube

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

When I first noticed this I decided it was a "feature" designed to draw attention to the flashing turn signal since it would be the only light that was illuminated on that side of the car.

Wow! I thought the exact same thing, but dismissed that thought as rubbish. Thanks for reaffirming my original suspicion. Now that you mention it, the turn signal of the guy in my rear view mirror was harder to see with that DRL on.

Sube

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

My 2010 is same. Perhaps that 2011 guy did not have lights in Auto, but lights on manually?? I have to see if that is possible...... car locked up for the night!Any 2011 out there!?? LOL SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' SRX View Post
    Perhaps that 2011 guy did not have lights in Auto, but lights on manually??
    Nope, I don't think so. I'm referring specifically to the DRLs, not the regular headlights. The only option is to have them turn on automatically (Auto Setting), or to manually turn them off.

Sube

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Here's a link to a thread in the 2008+ CTS forum that discusses this item (i.e. same-side DRL turning off when turn signal is activated.. on vehicles equipped with the HID headlamp package). Post #5 explains it best. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-lights.html

It's puzzling why Cadillac would choose to change how DRL's operate on the 2011 SRX. Something seems to have been changed in body control computer software - either by intention or oversight.

Other: As an aside.. note that the DRL's on Cadillacs built for Canada cannot be manually turned off. The only way to kill the DRL's on newer Cadillacs built for Canada (and equipped with HID headlamps) is to:
    a. Manually turn on the headlamps (which is something I sometimes do, depending on the day and/or driving mission) ..or..
    b. Remove the fuse(s) for DRL operation at the underhood fuse block (something I've never tried.. and wouldn't be legal to do in Canada)

Good link, RAB! My guess is that it was by accident. The effects of changing a single command on any computer are manifold and often unanticipated in other systems. Still gotta look at mine today w/ headlites on/off, Auto/manual modes. fascinating tid-bit...........

daddie2k3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Performance

My 2011 drl turns off with blinker...

Quote Originally Posted by daddie2k3 View Post
    My 2011 drl turns off with blinker...
    OK, that tells me that the SRX I saw had a defect. I wonder how long it will take the 2011 owners who have this defect to discover it. Everyone should check theirs, especially if you have a 2011 model.

Sube

Thanks RAB and everyone else for clearing this up for me. It makes sense. I thinks the design team was ahead of the game on this one.

Sube

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

This is normal, as previously stated, to allow the turn signal to stand out. This is not GM only.

mm9351 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX AWD LUXURY

I believe this DRL off with blinkers effect is unique for the Premiums and above who have HIDs. Those with conventional headlamps systems (e.g. Luxury, base) have the DRLs up above at the 12:00 headlamp location; and the DRLs stay ON with blinkers. Is it possible Sube was looking at a 2011 Luxury SRX in Mocha??? This feature is even more dynamic on cars with LED DRLs (e.g. Audi A4) which takes out a row of lights to bring more attention to the turn signals. Those who have seen this; you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I think ya nailed it mm9351 . I've seen the Audis. I was about to guess the fellow had put an LED light upgrade into the turn signal or DRL and left out a diode or something which affects power direction flow. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Maybe some Lux owners will weigh in to confirm?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.