Onstar Mylink Rumor - Backwards Compatible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Onstar Mylink Rumor - Backwards Compatible? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Few days ago I was searching on line for information about OnStar's MyLink. I have a 2010, which is currently ...
    Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

Onstar Mylink Rumor - Backwards Compatible?

Few days ago I was searching on line for information about OnStar's MyLink.

I have a 2010, which is currently not compatible with MyLink, and not really understanding how exactly OnStar works, I was curious if it is possible to "upgrade" my OnStar system to work with MyLink. Turns out, this is not possible.

BUT . . when researching, I did find some interesting "rumors". (I say rumor because I can't confirm that the sources are legit).

On the MyLink Facebook pages, there are several postings that Onstar is working on making MyLink Backwards compatible. Sometimes mentioning that it will go back as far as 2007's.

Has anyone else heard, or able to confirm that this is true? I would LOVE to have mylink on my 2010 SRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Onstar Mylink Rumor - Backwards Compatible?

If you call OnStar, like I did, and voice your complaint then it would add some traction to getting this feature implemented.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    I was thinking of calling them for that purpose. I would pay for onstar just to get iPhone remote start on my 2009 enclave.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i know that onstar has said that they plan to make it at least backwards compatible with the 2010 models (but beyond that they have not committed to, as far as i know)

as i understand it, there is a certain year (around 2007 - but what really matters is the onstar version in your car) that it would be technically possible for them to make this mylink app work with

that's technically (at least as i understand it)

profitable? maybe not - depends on how much it will cost them to develop the apps for each onstar version

another angle is that not all the functions will be available since there have been added features since then, so that complicates things

so basically onstar has committed to developing the app backwards for one generation (where technically they could develop it back a few more generations)
    and if i had to guess there's probably a 50/50 chance that they'll go back one more generation (most 2009 models) and then very very small chance they'll go back further

but i could be totally wrong - i'm just basing this off of what i've learned about onstar from working in Parts ... i've never been a subscriber and i've never installed a VCIM module (aka onstar module)

:HTH:

PS: calling onstar (especially via the blue button) to request that they make more older versions compatable is a great idea
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I saw posted on another forum that the mylink app could work with just about any onstar equipped car. The problem is that very features would work. Features that they have advertised the hell out of

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Folks, when you call OnStar, some operator on the other end of the phone is working at a computer console and pushing some buttons to make things happen. This, in turn, causes signals to be sent to your car that operates the various OnStar features. There is simply no reason that an iPhone/Android app can't use a web service to connect with the software on the OnStar end to do the same thing.

Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

stevec, This is exactly what I had been thinking. They already CAN do this . . it just needs to be done via Application rather then computer.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    Folks, when you call OnStar, some operator on the other end of the phone is working at a computer console and pushing some buttons to make things happen. This, in turn, causes signals to be sent to your car that operates the various OnStar features. There is simply no reason that an iPhone/Android app can't use a web service to connect with the software on the OnStar end to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    sure there is. GM/onstar isn't allowing it. they claim there are certain things the app can't do. I don't get it. but that is what they say. all i want is the ability to remote start my enclave from my iphone. I suspect the onstar hardware in my enclave won't communicate with the remote start module. so in my case, this would be a broken feature. and I get that onstar would rather not offer the service than explain to irate customers why something they are paying for does not work.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

I am told my 2010 SRX will NOT be added to the list of MyLink cars. 2011 will be offered as a retro-fit.

Anybody done a 2010 SRX? I have it on my 2011 Yukon/love it and am ready to dance.

SS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.