Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Anyone else upset their OnStar prepaid phone minutes expire? Oh, they will graciously rollover my minutes if I purchase new ...
    algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire.

Anyone else upset their OnStar prepaid phone minutes expire?

Oh, they will graciously rollover my minutes if I purchase new minutes. I don't need any more minutes, I already paid for 130m????/wtf

I keep those minutes in case of an emergency let's say I need to call someone and I FORGOT MY PHONE in an emergency.

Isn't that the whole point of OnStar?

I have the mind to Cancel OnStar if they cancel my minutes.

Grrrrrr.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Re: Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire.

I let the minutes expire on my v because I had an issue with them crediting the roll-over minutes upon last year renewel. They after complaining last year gave me a 2 month extension to onstar which then got the cell minute renewell date different than onstar. Upon the minutes expiration comming close this year called them and said either let me buy more minutes now and roll them in 2 months when onstar renews or correct the cell expire and onstar expire dates to the same date. Their answer was no...... to not loose any minutes I would have to buy before expiration then upon onstar renewell have to buy more to roll over or loose all my unused and 2 month old minutes. after several calls and e-mails with no budging on their part i let cell minutes expire and will not add them upon onstar renewell in a couple weeks. It's bad enough the rate per minute they charge but to acknowledge that it is wrong and refuse to help is stupid. The minutes in my opinion should never expire but if they want to have them expire they should only expire on the annual date onstar expires if it is going to be afactor in the calculation. It is bs they say they expire in 1 year or when onstar plan expires which ever is first... what a croc. At least you do not have to have minutes available to have onstar services.

That Sux.....I think I will have my dog make a few calls to OnStar customer service and use up my outstanding minutes that way....

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

The whole expiring minutes thing is a crock. I let mine expire and refuse to buy anymore. I'm letting XM Radio go as well. Too much money for songs that repeat all the time. I may even let OnStar go too. In all my life I have never needed anything like OnStar. I think it's expensive for the fact that I NEVER use it.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

algiorda, I'm sure you know that Verizon will add your Onstar phone as a second phone, but of course you pay Verizon their $10 a month for another phone#. Then you share the total minutes Verizon gives you. Only worth it if you then use the Onstar phone a lot, cause your cell phone has crummy reception, weak battery,etc Cheaper to just use you cell and Bluetooth to pair it.

Onstar is expensive but I get my money's worth with directions and restaurant reservations while driving. Of course they down load directions to the dash too. BUT......if you let the phone minutes expire, don't worry. In an emergency, hit the Red Onstar button and they'll call your spouse, job etc for the asking!

SS

doctormstein1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

My onstar expired the 30th of June and I call to extend it on a monthly payment. I asked if they could extend my minutes first they said that could extend it 6 months. Then I asked if they could extend it for one year and she said that she would be glad to do it at which time I agreed to renew my subscription. Their was really no problem, just asked. Maybe I was lucky

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    Anyone else upset their OnStar prepaid phone minutes expire?

Oh, they will graciously rollover my minutes if I purchase new minutes. I don't need any more minutes, I already paid for 130m????/wtf
    I keep those minutes in case of an emergency let's say I need to call someone and I FORGOT MY PHONE in an emergency.
    Isn't that the whole point of OnStar?

I have the mind to Cancel OnStar if they cancel my minutes.

Grrrrrr.
    Hmmm I never heard that you had to purchase extra minutes ... it is my understanding that OnStar lets you keep your remaining minutes if you renew your subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    The whole expiring minutes thing is a crock. I let mine expire and refuse to buy anymore. I'm letting XM Radio go as well. Too much money for songs that repeat all the time. I may even let OnStar go too. In all my life I have never needed anything like OnStar. I think it's expensive for the fact that I NEVER use it.
    I hope you will never need to use OnStar. I keep both features because I want and like them both ... I also feel the extra security is well worth the added cost of having it.

Don't we own a beautiful luxury car? If I wanted a striped down no frills go kart I would have bought one.

Marc, maybe you like getting nickel and dimed to death; I don't. How do you think I was able to afford the SRX?

REFILL YOUR MINUTES TODAY AND
    ROLL OVER ANY UNUSED MINUTES.
    Keep your unused minutes and don't let them expire. With OnStarŪ1 Hands-Free Calling, you get stronger reception and fewer dropped calls than with a regular cell phone, and there's nothing to hold while you're driving. Always keep enough minutes available to reach your family and friends. Your minutes are good for a full year or until your subscription ends, and now's your chance to roll over any unused minutes before they expire.
    Buy minutes online now. You can also order minutes by pushing your Onstar Hands-Free Calling button and saying "minutes."
    To learn more, check out our Hands-Free Calling Quick Guide.

Try again! I even bargained for the $299 yearly D&C service upgrade. Said I wanted to cancel as I couldn't afford 28 bucks a month and could maybe swing about $200 a year. They said take it for $240! I did.......

SS

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    Marc, maybe you like getting nickel and dimed to death; I don't. How do you think I was able to afford the SRX?
    I certainly can understand what you are saying... no one wants to be nickeled and dimed to death and it is awesome you were able to buy the car that you wanted to own. Life is too short and for me and I want to enjoy getting from point A to point B in comfort and style that I love and enjoy.

BTW: I believe we all want to get the best deal and try to negotiate the best price too. That being said I feel very strongly that if I were on a highway or a lonely country road and got into an accident and lost my cell phone or couldn't use it because I was hurt that badly I know I would want to have OnStar calling someone to come get me ASAP.

As far as XM prices go ... I too think they are high but to suggest Like Steve has above "to listen to the same old music over and over again" is a big waste of money, well one of the many reasons I like XM is because there are far too many damn commercials on FM and I am so sick and tired of hearing 1-2 songs and then 10 min of commercials... so that is why I love XM continuous music. If you are bored with the same ole same ole songs on XM I would suggest trying to listen to the many dozens of dozens of other great programs on XM instead of the same old music you seem to be listening to. Or put in your favorite collection of music on your CD or perhaps listen to your I-Tunes.

Hey... Life is too short ... ENJOY LIFE!

Best part is having the choice. If you cancel any service ( phone or Onstar) you just push the blue button and you can have it back in minutes for Onstar, hours (or less) for phone service ..

The Red button really works from: hitting an animal on the road to spotting/confronting a drunken/road rage driver...........very prompt, well trained advisors there.

Don't forget, use the Red Onstar button for even emergency phone calls. ( if you have to wait for new phone service to be activated) They'll help you!
    SS

cbramsey5898 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac SRX

<rant on>

I had a little under 300 minutes that I paid for that I lost May 9th. I went to Cades Cove over the Memorial Day weekend. I had no regular cell phone service so I went to use my OnStar phone. It was then I found out my minutes had expired.

I was very upset. If I had really read my OnStar vehicle diagnostics email I would have known my minutes would have expired.

I don't know about you but I am inundated with emails and just skimmed over that important tidbit of information.

<rant off>

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

came in handy on vacation two weeks ago in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. The cabin out in the middle of nowhere, while quiet and beautiful, didn't have ATT cell phone signal. We had to drive almost two miles for our cell phones to work. The satellite phone with onStar worked great. Definetly worth the money. Like Marc said, life is too short. A couple of extra dollar for OnStar, phone minutes, and XM are a very small price to pay for comfort and convenience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.