Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Finally the "rollover" clause worked in someone's favor! As I have shared in many other threads . . . I ...
    Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

Re: Pissed off my OnStar Phone Minutes are going to expire.

Finally the "rollover" clause worked in someone's favor!

As I have shared in many other threads . . . I am a new owner of a 2010 AWD Prem, just 1 1/2 weeks ago. The previous owner had it for 10 months. Onstar gave me the remaining balance of their year free trial, and then added on a 6 month free trial to my vehicle.

The previous owner had 286 minutes on the balance of the Onstar Phone. They expire on the 9th of this month. I found it a bit confusing. Do I get to use those minutes? Do they belong to me or the previous owner?

Called Onstar. The agent told me that they were now mine, and they expire on the 9th, but if I purchase any minute plan, I can roll them over into the new plan for 12 more months.

So for $14.99 I purchased 100 minutes. . . which gained me a total of 386 minutes for $14.99

I find that to be a helluva deal!

Therefore, in this instance - the rollover factor was a nice surprise.

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

Earlier in this thread smokin' said verizon will let you add your onstar car phone to an existing plan for minute pooling / rollover. That got me thinking can you then import the srx cell # issued to any carrier if choice? or will it not funtion if not on verizon. If it only functions on verizon can you just open a new verizon zccount with the supplied # and cut onstar out of the profit? anyone tried this? Of course if your not on verizon now it would probably be cost prohibitive to change over, just curious.

FYI - regarding Verizon/Onstar.

When I logged into my Onstar account on line, I noticed there was a notice: The Verizon/Onstar plan was being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by cvettr/cts-v View Post
    Earlier in this thread smokin' said verizon will let you add your onstar car phone to an existing plan for minute pooling / rollover. That got me thinking can you then import the srx cell # issued to any carrier if choice? or will it not funtion if not on verizon. If it only functions on verizon can you just open a new verizon zccount with the supplied # and cut onstar out of the profit? anyone tried this? Of course if your not on verizon now it would probably be cost prohibitive to change over, just curious.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

This is unacceptable . They are a customer safety/service company. You are a LOYAL customer.

Press the Blue Button again. Ask to speak to a supervisor from the get go. Politely/firmly say you'd like to keep your Onstar phone as an enhancement to the whole Onstar security experience they stress. Admit you missed the email they send us, do to work load, etc. Ask what can be done. Be prepared to buy a small minute package ($10?) If you're told "Nothing" can be done, either ask for an appeal/review or if unavailable, call back next day and start again! You'll get something I'd bet!! Persistence/sincerity will pay.

SS

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I will never renew onstar just to get to buy more "EXPENSIVE" phone minutes. I got along just fine without onstar and as far as hands-free calling my cell phone with the BLUETOOTH feature works very well. Some people think you have to keep your onstar subscription to use your bluetooth but you do not have to.

Kuya, thx for HU on Verizon plan being dropped by Onstar. Hadn't heard that. I do not have Verizon, but was aware of the Verizon plan to share minutes.(I used AT&T as provider)

My last post was in ref to calling Onstar and insisting they do not drop any unused minutes at year end term. I have found them to be flexible, even on price, when I sincerely asked for a consideration. If not satisfied ask for a Supervisor, and if told NO, call back few hours later and try again. You are entitled to those minutes. You may have to buy a small minutes package ($12?) as Kuya did, and keep them all for another year. Your decision.

5 days ago, while on a 100 mile trip, my Onstar Virtual Advisor said ...."No traffic assistance available for your area". I traveled 15 more miles and asked again. Same all day. I pressed the Blue button and complained to a rep. They said "sorry, we're giving you 2 free months of Directions and Connections added to your service. That's a $50 bill. Free! Never hurts to politely, firmly, and sincerely ask.....

SS

Marc NY is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' SRX View Post
    ... while on a 100 mile trip, my Onstar Virtual Advisor said ...."No traffic assistance available for your area". I traveled 15 more miles and asked again. Same all day. I pressed the Blue button and complained to a rep. They said "sorry, we're giving you 2 free months of Directions and Connections added to your service. That's a $50 bill. Free! Never hurts to politely, firmly, and sincerely ask.....

SS
    SS has the right attitude!

As the old saying goes... You get a lot more with honey ... just bitchin, yelling and screaming usually won't get you anywhere fast!

If you don't succeed the first time ... try try (call call back) again!

KevinOpp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Peformance Turbo

interesting----i phoned OnStar last month to see about extending my minutes that expire in June. she advised me that they were starting a new "Unlimited Calling Plan" for $10/month, and i should just use up my minutes or let them expire and roll into the new plan.

as we live in a very rural area with no cellular except for what OnStar can do, it's a great deal for us. but i'm surprised that no one else here has heard mention of this new plan??

Never heard..... I spend about $75 a year I guess on Onstar phone minutes now, as a supplement to my reg cell service. (as a back-up to my everyday cell phone) $120 a year for UNLIMITED ain't bad, if ya forget/didn't charge/beyond service area your every day cell. Doesn't send a tingle down my leg, as I usually have cell service, and just use the Bluetooth connect feature while driving. But in your case KevinOpp, a good deal. Now if I could take my SRX into the restaurant/meeting with me, I'd dump my $75 a month cell plan fast!! SS

KevinOpp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Peformance Turbo

well, it's true----

my minutes expire tomorrow, so i called and asked about the "Monthly Minutes Plan" that i had heard about. she said yes, there was a new plan for unlimited calling each month, no contract, no roaming, free long distance. when i said i was told it was $9.99 she said that was a special that they had offered, but she would honor it since that's what i was quoted. $12.91/month after tax and other fees. charged monthly to my Visa, she said my rate would not change.

again, living in a rural area where handheld phones don't work but the SRX mostly does, it's a great deal for us. it's already started one hour later!!

i didn't see ANY mention of this plan anywhere on the OnStar site, nor have i gotten any emails about it. i would suggest calling for it if you use the phone much.

Tks again KEVINOPP for this data. I am considering.....

SS

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

I dropped XM and will be dropping Onstar and phone. Their rates are to high and don't need their grief. My bluetooth hands free phone works great and you don't need Onstar to use it.

Another confirmation . . . . if you call and ask for the $9.99 unlimited, they will tell you that it is now $14.99 but if you insist, they will give it to you.

I had 254 free minutes still existing on my account and I don't want to throw them away, so they locked in the $9.99/month for when I have used up these minutes. . . AWESOME.

Thanks KevinOpp, and everyone else for passing along this good deal.

cvettr/cts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Infrared CTS-V

I just called and got the $9.99 a month which is $12.91 a month unlimited minutes on the V while i renewed my onstar. They did try to charge $14.99 a month but as soon as I said I seen that on your web site for $9.99 plus tax they gave it to me. I'm probably way over paying as I hardly drive the car and in 5 years only used about 45 mins cell in it but with all the mobile phone useage laws changing I should probably change my cell habits while driving. I was just today infuriated when a mobile texter joined my lane while looking at their hand typing. Oh well I'll quit ranting point is for some it makes sense to use the hands free minutes and the package is still available for the asking.

crederer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts

I think there's a bit of confusion. Were you people on the trial version of onstar and you bought phone minutes? Because I'm pretty sure how it works is you have to be part of the subscription of onstar to buy minutes. So if most of your trial periods are over, you need to subscribe to the safe and sound or connections and directions package. and any unused minutes will be rolled over at that point.

It's like having a cell phone company give you a phone for free for a few months while you pay the plan. Then at end of trial you have to buy the phone to continue using it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is what is going on with most of you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.