Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CarWash question . . .

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Smokin' SRX 
#1 ·
Someone else asked about this a while back, but it was not really clear for me. I just want to make sure I understood it correctly.

The FOB & the Carwash:

If I have one FOB, and I get out of the car . . . I assume the car will just keep running without any problems - and the carwash will go smooth.

But, if there are two of us in the car and we both have FOB's and we leave one in the car for the car wash crew, and we take the other with us . . the SRX will notice that one FOB has left, and it will lock the doors, correct?

And the way around this, is for me to hold down the 'unlock" button on the car's dash with a door open . . . this will instruct the SRX to NOT lock the doors when one FOB goes missing . . one time only . . correct?

I just don't want an embarrassing situation at the carwash where I need to call OnStar because my car is holding up the entire line with a "Lockout" lol

I usually keep my FOB in my pocket and so it will trigger the door lock when I get out. . . even when I did not intend.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK.........first sentence: "If I have one FOB, and I get out of the car . . . I assume the car will just keep running without any problems - and the carwash will go smooth." That sounds OK, BUT the car shuts OFF in about 10 minutes (some here have reported!) If your carwash is slow......problem.

Yes as you said, you could follow procedure you outline to disable the Auto-lock feature (one-time effect) when @ wash, or "permanently" disable the Auto-lock in menu, period. Then you must push remote (or console Lock button) to lock doors manually thereafter. (oh, the strain.....LOL)

Here is text fro Owners Man again: ( NOTE this is for small percentage of us that have Keyless Access feature....look for a small black pad on drivers door handle to confirm)

Keyless Locking:

If the vehicle has the keyless
access system, this feature allows
you to select whether the doors
automatically lock during normal
vehicle exit. When the vehicle is
turned off and all doors become
closed, the vehicle will determine
how many keyless access
transmitters remain in the vehicle
interior. If at least one keyless
access transmitter has been
removed from the interior of the
vehicle, the doors will lock after
eight seconds.
If there are two keyless access
transmitters in the vehicle and
one is removed, the other will be
locked in. A person approaching
the outside of the locked vehicle
without an authorized keyless
access transmitter will not be able
to open the door, even with the
transmitter in the vehicle.
You may temporarily disable the
keyless locking feature by pressing
and holding the power door unlock
button on the instrument panel for
several seconds with a door open.
Keyless locking will then remain
disabled until the door lock switch
is pressed, or until the vehicle is
turned on.
To customize whether the doors
automatically lock when you exit
the vehicle, see “Passive Locking”
under Vehicle Personalization on
page 5‑42.

Hmmm.... What if use the one-time gimmick, and the attendant dusts the dash and hits the door Lock button, then gets out, and 10 minutes have passed?? LOCKED! You will then have to approach vehicle with your remote, it will open, then hand him remote to enable a restart and don't let him re-close the doors with your remote in the car! Don't say it cannot happen!! I'd deactivate the feature if I had it..........I use carwashes alot. Also, it only takes a minute to de-activate the feature completely, from the Menu, each time you go, if you can't live w/o it on a daily basis....

Good luck! And keep a cell phone with you! LOL

SS

#3 ·
I totally agree in that "pushing the button" to lock the doors is not a strenuous activity hahaha. . . it's just that with the Cadillac, it's my very first lux vehicle and I am enjoying ALL of the perks that come with it. There is a coolness factor in just walking up to the car, FOB still in pocket, and reaching out for the door . . . and suddenly all doors unlock. It's just that coolness factor that I don't want to give up, at least not yet. Maybe in 6 months I will have disabled it for good - but I have only had the SRX for a week now and I am still in that "that's just so cool" phase :)

I guess I should learn how to disable it fully for the carwash and then enable it after. That's probably the safest bet. Otherwise I see myself on a first name basis with the OnStar folks.

Really, they should add a carwash button. Press it and the car goes into "carwash" mode . . it would make life easier with us SOB's . . I meant FOB's.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, turn it off when arriving at carwash. Avoid grief. Should take 15 seconds from center dash....... I know, I don't have, but it is cool!

Last year, my buddy had his floor mat jammed over accel pedal, at a car wash and when it came out of tunnel, eng was ruined (Toyota) from revving full bore, for 2 minutes.... Car wash paid but banned Toyotas for 5 weeks!! Then they pulled the mats and threw in back seat.........

Anything can happen at a carwash.... See Cvettr/CTS-V important post down below!!

SS

#6 ·
I also have seen this. I go to a professionally run place and I rationalize that at least the X will look cleaner, more often than if it waited for me to do it! No car wash is likely to do the safe job you would.
I try to stay with the No-Touch guys. They take a fine brush, by hand ,as you roll in, then just chemicals and water jets. At end, they have a supply of fresh soft towels for finishing the dry treatment that the blowers missed.

As with many things in life, a compromise for sure...

SS

#7 ·
One note to all of this, the spray of water weather at a regular car wash, touchless, or hand held wand car wash is that the spary can fool the lock touch pad on the outsied door handle into thinking it is a human finger trying to lock the door and that can not be disabled. I have only used the wand type and each time it has locked the doors and I have auto lock disabled. I have talked to the gm rep who trains the sales people how to program the vehicles and he has told me there is no way to dis-able that. So with all the prep in the world your door can still lock when you don't want or expect it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.