Navigation Question?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Navigation Question? in Cadillac SRX Forums; In my last year, I had an aftermarket in-dash Kenwood stereo with nav installed. The Nav was provided by Garmin. ...
    Kuya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Luxury, Black Raven with Nav

Navigation Question?

In my last year, I had an aftermarket in-dash Kenwood stereo with nav installed. The Nav was provided by Garmin.

For the most part, I prefer the Nav in the Cadillac, however there is one thing I really miss ALOT. With the Garmin, it did not matter what direction you were traveling, the map would always rotate so that you were going forward. It made it very very easy for me to figure things out. I have ZERO navigation skills, thus the Nav systems are fantastic for me.

I have read the Nav manual and looked through the Nav configuration, and I can't seem to find anywhere I can make the map rotate . . .

Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddybill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury w/nav

Re: Navigation Question?

Kuya,

I had the same situation, being used to a Garmin GPS. I found that just by touching the compass on the upper left of the nav screen, it will switch from a north only map to the map turning with the car always straight.
    I hope this helps you enjoy your SRX Nav system more.

THANK YOU!

And I am glad I am not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Caddybill View Post
    Kuya,

I had the same situation, being used to a Garmin GPS. I found that just by touching the compass on the upper left of the nav screen, it will switch from a north only map to the map turning with the car always straight.
    I hope this helps you enjoy your SRX Nav system more.

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    For the most part, I prefer the Nav in the Cadillac, however there is one thing I really miss ALOT. With the Garmin, it did not matter what direction you were traveling, the map would always rotate so that you were going forward.

I have read the Nav manual and looked through the Nav configuration, and I can't seem to find anywhere I can make the map rotate . . .

Does anyone know if this is possible?
    That's how I have mine set. Look for an option for "track up," or something like that. I'll be in the car later, and try to find it, but there are two settings -- one is for "track up" or something similar, and the other is for 3D. I stumbled across the settings when I was working my way through the navigation configuration menus. The setting you want is there...you just have to search to find it!

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

By hitting the compass icon you will get tracking variations. One view shows the Nav screen tracks north all the time, the other keeps the car movements running straight up all the time. I prefer having the car icon (arrow) track straight up all the time rather than where the arrow icon revolves all the time (where the arrow tracks left, right, down, up and all over the screen as you drive). I also prefer to have the screen viewed at a 3-D and a more of a horizon view where you can view the map at a slightly more angular view rather than just a straight down look only.

Thanks everyone! The compass touch area was exactly what I Was looking for!

Next up, I will try it with the 3D mode, as Marc has recommended. I feel like I just keep learning new things with this vehicle, and it just keeps getting better!

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

You're a quick study! And this Forum is a good teacher!

Have ya tried the ALL Windows Down feature yet. I think the 2011 has it? My 2010 does:

Hold the Unlock button continuously ( on fob) and after 5 seconds, all windows roll down! Good for clearing super heated air from cabin in Summer, before entering.

Let us know......

SS

BTW, the information on "north up," "heading up" and 3-D can be found on page 55 of the Navigation Manual (in the "infotainment system" section).

I've found that sometimes the best way to find something about a feature on the car is to open the PDF versions of the manuals I downloaded from Cadillac's website, and do a word search. In this case, when I searched "north" (which is a pretty unique word for a car) in the Navigation Manual, the information popped up right away.

HTH!

Certainly, I agree that the manual is the first place to look for answers . . . but I disagree that it actually provides solid information on "how to's". For me, it is often more confusing.

For example:

"Heading up view displays the direction the vehicle is traveling at the top of the map screen."

After reading that in the Nav guide, I was still all the dumber. When I read that, it sounds as if my Nav will simply tell me the direction that my vehicle is traveling at the top of the map screen. I did not walk away from reading that knowing that my map would now rotate as I drive, in the way I was looking for.

Secondly, I don't think I would have thought to search for "North" right off the bat. I may have spent helpless hours searching things like "map rotate" and the likes.

Again - I agree 100% that the manual is a good place to start . . . but often times I post questions here after I have not been able to find the answer I need within the manual, or if I need further clarification. I would have never translated "heading up" to be the answer I was looking for, simply by reading that sentence in the manual.

I have read the ENTIRE (small) section on the Rear Seat Entertainment System . . . and let me tell you . . it does not go into much detail and leaves much to be "unknown".

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSRX View Post
    BTW, the information on "north up," "heading up" and 3-D can be found on page 55 of the Navigation Manual (in the "infotainment system" section).

I've found that sometimes the best way to find something about a feature on the car is to open the PDF versions of the manuals I downloaded from Cadillac's website, and do a word search. In this case, when I searched "north" (which is a pretty unique word for a car) in the Navigation Manual, the information popped up right away.

HTH!

Yes indeed . . . all windows go down!! Another cool trick learned today!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' SRX View Post
    You're a quick study! And this Forum is a good teacher!

Have ya tried the ALL Windows Down feature yet. I think the 2011 has it? My 2010 does:

Hold the Unlock button continuously ( on fob) and after 5 seconds, all windows roll down! Good for clearing super heated air from cabin in Summer, before entering.

Let us know......

SS

Certainly, I agree that the manual is the first place to look for answers . . . but I disagree that it actually provides solid information on "how to's". For me, it is often more confusing.

For example:

"Heading up view displays the direction the vehicle is traveling at the top of the map screen."

After reading that in the Nav guide, I was still all the dumber. When I read that, it sounds as if my Nav will simply tell me the direction that my vehicle is traveling at the top of the map screen. I did not walk away from reading that knowing that my map would now rotate as I drive, in the way I was looking for.

Secondly, I don't think I would have thought to search for "North" right off the bat. I may have spent helpless hours searching things like "map rotate" and the likes.

Again - I agree 100% that the manual is a good place to start . . . but often times I post questions here after I have not been able to find the answer I need within the manual, or if I need further clarification. I would have never translated "heading up" to be the answer I was looking for, simply by reading that sentence in the manual.

I have read the ENTIRE (small) section on the Rear Seat Entertainment System . . . and let me tell you . . it does not go into much detail and leaves much to be "unknown".

Just trying to help. Sorry if I offended you.

No offense taken . . . anymore LOL. At first glance I thought you were basically trying to tell me to "read the manual" before asking questions. And I had read it . . . many times already. I actually printed out the PDF days prior to picking up my SRX, in hopes I was ahead of the game. Read the manual, Nav manual and Onstar manual many many times trying to figure out how all the toys work. But alas . . it still leaves many questions for me.

Didn't mean to jump on you . . . sometimes it is hard to know someone's motive in just text.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSRX View Post
    Just trying to help. Sorry if I offended you.

No offense taken . . . anymore LOL. At first glance I thought you were basically trying to tell me to "read the manual" before asking questions.

Naw...if I were telling you to read the manual I would have posted "RTFM." Here, I was just suggesting a way to find an obscure item buried in the hundreds of pages of stuff contained in the manuals.

Johnel5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance Turbo

Only problem with the All Windows Down feature? There's no All Windows Up feature using the fob from outside the vehicle in case you open them by mistake or it starts to rain or something wonderful like that.

As someone else mentioned in another post . . . it was probably a safety design to NOT allow all windows up by the FOB. You may not have full visual of your vehicle from a distance, and someone (child) could have hands, necks, etc . . in the window area.

I too wish it had windows up by FOB . . . .but alas, I do understand why it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnel5 View Post
    Only problem with the All Windows Down feature? There's no All Windows Up feature using the fob from outside the vehicle in case you open them by mistake or it starts to rain or something wonderful like that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.