Cadillac Owners Forum banner

XM price increase inevitable?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  walshie 
#1 ·
When the two satellite companies merged 3 years ago, the FCC required that they keep the $12.95 monthly fee for 36 months. That time is now up and there are strong indications on Wall Street that the price you pay for satellite reception in your SRX (or other car) will be increasing or to keep the price the same, you will receive fewer channels for the same price (similar to cable TV's tier pricing).

This article explains what may be on the horizon.

http://siriusbuzz.com/sirius-xms-channel-changes-pave-way-for-new-pricing.php

We all agree that most of the time, a reduced rate for XM is available if you ask for it, but those low rates may be a thing of the past.

The best way to insure the prices rermain low would be to let the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) know how you feel. They still have the final say. The time to do it is now (fcc.gov)

By the way, do you feel that XM delivers a decent product for the price you are paying?

I, for one, feel that if I was not able to negotiate a lower rate it would be way overpriced for what is delivered.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not going up for me, because I got rid of it. When Serius Took over, the service and billing practices went downhill. When it came time to renew my service, they automatically charged me the top tier programming for two years at a whopping $348.00. When I cancelled, they tried to entice me to stay for $2.50 per month for 3 months; $5.00 mo for 6 months, or $7.98 for 12 months. I had such a sour taste in my mouth from their practices that I just killed it.

I admit there are times I wish I had it, but I do not like the Serius programming and the new channel line up. So now I listen to over-air Radio and Mp3's for Free.

I know what your thinking a $40k car and your tight wad with the radio? Well heck yea, do you know how much getting nickeled and dimed to death adds up to?

#3 ·
The reason there are currenty reduced rates is a lot of people wont pay the $12.95. Most i pay is either $20 for 5 months or $77 a year. So all of those people myself included will just cancel until the prices go lower. No need to call FCC, just let Xm know how you feel by canceling when they raise price and either get pandora or slacker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.