Service Bulletin on Gas Tank
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Service Bulletin on Gas Tank in Cadillac SRX Forums; I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of my 2010 SRX upon a gentle acceleration from a full ...
    Grizz262 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUX

Service Bulletin on Gas Tank

I was hearing a thumping noise in the rear of my 2010 SRX upon a gentle acceleration from a full stop. The best way to describe it was like a shock absorber was expanding (or contracting) in increments, thump, thump, thump. Not very loud, and not consitantly.

I took it into the the dealer who said they heard the noise, and have heard it on other SRX's in the past. They advised me that GM has issued a service bulletin on the Gas Tank baffle system, and are currently working on a re-design to prevent the noise which should be out by the end of the year. Once designed, they will issue a recall.

Anyone hear of this, or was I hoodwinked?

I can scan the repair order with their comments about the SB if needed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Re: Service Bulletin on Gas Tank

Yup! been commented on here many times and some really hate it, but I actually consider the mild thump a "movement verification device" and not an offensive sound at all. I keep my tank mostly full and hear it only at certain fuel levels (I think 3/4 and then 1/3 full?)

I find it hard to believe they will actually drop the tank and R&R???

Hope your source is accurate as many here will be much relieved............

SS

Thank you SS for the information, I did do a search on Baffles and Gas Tanks, but found nothing relevent before I posted this.

Has anyone seen a Service Bulletin that refers to this issue?

Here is a link to a thread. Searches can be tricky.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ank-noise.html

No known cure except keeping tank full/playing radio upon embarking

SS

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

I disagree with the gas tank baffle diagnosis; see my previous post. How can a liquid make a thud?

I say the noise is caused by play in the exhaust system hangers causing the banging.

I crawled under the car and looked; it seems the gas tank runs from front to back in the center of the vehicle on both sides of the driveshaft. The bumping noise I hear is from the back of the vehicle. I wiggled the exhaust system from side to side and sure enough, that was the sound I heard.

You may be correct. Easy way to be positive is to fill tank and see if noise is still there. Mine is the gas. It makes same sound as waves hitting a dock. 'Slush", then "bonk". You may have both! Good detective skills on your part. And easily repeatable for Dealer............

Tks for tip. One more to be aware of.

SS

SoCalSRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation

I have a similar problem...subscribing, and hoping for a Service Bulletin soon!

TRMN8R1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX LUX Radiant Silver Metallic 3.0AWD

Quote Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
    I disagree with the gas tank baffle diagnosis; see my previous post. How can a liquid make a thud?

I say the noise is caused by play in the exhaust system hangers causing the banging.

I crawled under the car and looked; it seems the gas tank runs from front to back in the center of the vehicle on both sides of the driveshaft. The bumping noise I hear is from the back of the vehicle. I wiggled the exhaust system from side to side and sure enough, that was the sound I heard.
    I couldn't agree more; I've spent a lot of time on here going through the many threads on this, and I've spoken with the SMgr at the dealership. I don't believe that it's sloshing or however you want to describe it as in coming from the fuel tank. It is a clear THUD, as if someone is using a rubber mallet and hitting the bottom rear right side somewhere?? I believe that it's either suspension OR as you posted the exhaust system.

CalDrvr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac DTS

I own a 2007 DTS, but watch this forum, as the SRX is our next car. All DTS models have the same "thump" sound from the rear. It is related to the fuel system and how it relieves pressure or vacuum, and sounds like someone is knocking on a rear door to get in. It always occurs as three or four knocks, and (usually) within a mile from the start of the drive, and may not be related to the fuel level.

This (SRX) noise is instant and occurs as soon as I begin to back out of garage and tap brakes. I believe Algiordas is same. Don't think we're on same page. But thx for the heads-up!

SS

Here's my take on the situation...

For the last week or so, I've been paying close attention to the noise. Here are my impressions:

1. The sound is more pronounced (louder) when the gas tank is 1/2 - 3/4 full.
    2. When accelerating from a stop, and then quickly hitting the brakes, the sound (a "tap, tap, tap" or "bump, bump, bump") continues for a second or so. It's not a one-time noise like a single "thud." This happens, for example, in stop-and-go traffic, where you start to accelerate but then have to quickly apply the brakes. To test it out, though, I went to a flat stretch of open road near my house, and stopped for a few seconds. I then accelerated (but gently -- I didn't punch it) and rolled for a few feet, and then quickly hit the brakes. Again I heard the noise continuing for a second or two.

It seems to me that unless something in the exhaust system is REALLY loose and is dangling, the noise wouldn't repeat a few times after stopping. If I were a betting man, my bet is that the noise is caused by fuel sloshing in the tank.

My $.02. YMMV.

SoCalSRX I'm with you. Both your explanation and symptoms. But perhaps there 2 different problems.......

Again, I honestly don't even hear it any more. It's as if I am on my boat! Only classier! LOL

SS

Can someone send me the Service Bulletin PIT4927B ? I am taking my 2010 SRX in next week to see if there is a fixed tank on this as it was supposed to have been out by now according to this thread, and others in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz262 View Post
    Can someone send me the Service Bulletin PIT4927B ? I am taking my 2010 SRX in next week to see if there is a fixed tank on this as it was supposed to have been out by now according to this thread, and others in this forum.
    I'd like to see the Bulletin as well. If there's a fix available, I'll get it done next time the car is in for service (about 1,500 miles).

Thanks!

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

I did my first one today, the new design tank has alot of baffles and channels built in it now, you also have to replace the aux fuel pump module due to
    different internals of the tank. #PIT4927D: Clunk Thump Or Slosh Noise From Rear Of Vehicle - (Nov 8, 2011)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.