Is White Gone for 2012????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 6 Post By GMJim
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Is White Gone for 2012???? in Cadillac SRX Forums; GM posted the 2012 ordering guide on the net and white is not listed as an SRX color. Could this ...
    jperaino is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is White Gone for 2012????

GM posted the 2012 ordering guide on the net and white is not listed as an SRX color. Could this be a mistake?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Is White Gone for 2012????

I hope it's only a mistake in the just-released 2012 order guide. I've been planning to order a 2012 SRX in white (i.e. color code 'GBR' - Platinum Ice Tricoat).

I am also planning to order a platinum ice 2012 SRX. I know that currently white is on constraint due to the problem in Japan. I hope they get the problem corrected before too long.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

I don't think its a mistake. Keep in mind since Japan's earthquake, the ONLY plant in the world that makes Xirallic, is disabled. Xirallic is used in many metallic shades of paint, and most noticeably in GM's TriCoat and TintCoat paints. Expect shortages of any colour involving any mention of the word "coat". Which includes Platinum Ice TriCoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Cyber Grey Metallic/Thunder Grey Tintcoat Metallic, Red Jewel Tintcoat/ Crystal Red Tintcoat, and also Jetstream Blue Metallic (for Vette owners). Other GM colours may be involved in this of which i haven't named as well.

Once the plant gets back on its feet later this year, normal colour production should resume.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I don't think its a mistake. Keep in mind since Japan's earthquake, the ONLY plant in the world that makes Xirallic, is disabled. Xirallic is used in many metallic shades of paint, and most noticeably in GM's TriCoat and TintCoat paints. Expect shortages of any colour involving any mention of the word "coat". Which includes Platinum Ice TriCoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Cyber Grey Metallic/Thunder Grey Tintcoat Metallic, Red Jewel Tintcoat/ Crystal Red Tintcoat, and also Jetstream Blue Metallic (for Vette owners). Other GM colours may be involved in this of which i haven't named as well.

Once the plant gets back on its feet later this year, normal colour production should resume.
    Well, THAT's interesting. Very good info - although I'm not real happy learning about this!

It's astonishing to me that automobile manufacturers, in collaboration of course with automotive paint manufacturers, would develop certain premium paint shades/pearlescent effects (utilized mainly for high-end vehicles) whereby the essential ingredient for the paint is available from only ONE plant in the entire world. Having just one plant in the world supplying a unique and hugely important ingredient for certain automotive paints sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me. Then again.. building dozens of nuclear power plants on a small island country known throughout history for devasting earthquakes and tsunamis doesn't seem particularly smart either. But hey, what do I know?

Looks like I along with many others will have to wait several months longer for our 2012 SRX's to get built in the color(s) we want. Who would have thought an earthquake occurring halfway around the world was going to delay (for months!) the manufacture of my North American-built GM vehicle? The word 'ridiculous' comes to mind.

P.S. GM had better get their act together quickly regarding the availablity of white and grey tricoats on Cadillacs and their other brands. According to Dupont, white/white pearl tied with grey as the 3rd most popular automobile color for 2010, with a similar trend continuing in 2011.

The world's most popular car colors for 2010:
    1. Silver - 26 percent
    2. Black/Black Effect - 24 percent
    3. White/White Pearl and Grey - 16 percent each (tie)
    5. Red - 6 percent
    6. Blue - 5 percent
    7. Brown/Beige - 3 percent
    8. Green - 2 percent
    9. Yellow/Gold - 1 percent
    10. Others - <1 percent

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

GM should learn how to control acts of God better.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I c wut u did ther.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
    GM should learn how to control acts of God better.
    Kudos for the cynical wise-ass-ness. Always appreciated.

Actually GM should learn how to multiple-source properly.
    Another reason why GM went bankrupt and had to take handouts from the governments of the US & Canada.
    Despite it all.. I'm still a GM fan. Go figure.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    ... Actually GM should learn how to multiple-source properly.
    Another reason why GM went bankrupt and had to take handouts from the governments of the US & Canada.
    Despite it all.. I'm still a GM fan. Go figure.
    Many GM customers don't understand the reasoning of one source only vendors. Most of GM's suppliers invest millions and millions of dollars in their equipment, training, research etc and they ask for a commitment from GM to let them handle enough business to offset their costs and of course to allow for decent profits. Thus there are times that GM will agree to have only one source vendors especially if there is lower volumes at stake.

The SSR was a prime example of very low production volumes and it was very difficult to get vendors to commit to such low volume numbers. Many vendors would have to gear up for smaller production runs and to try and off set their loss or low margins of profits. Thus GM would help their vendor offset their costs by giving them some additional higher volumes in other parts that GM needs. You can't expect a vendor to survive if they can not make enough profits to cover their costs of doing business.

Years ago GM used to almost always have more than just one vendor... Yes it is very frustrating for sure but that is the nature of beast for today's world of vendor business.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

What's interesting, is that its not just GM with this problem, many manufacturers were dependent on this plant for their special colours!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

jjjleblanc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Premium AWD

It looks like White Diamond Tricoat is available for the 2012 CTS and Escalade models. I'd be ok with White Diamond for the 2012 SRX.

RAB

Marc NY and TheCaptain - Good informative posts; your points are taken. The nature of today's world of vendor business is indeed more complicated and yes, at times frustrating for the buyer. And it's easy to criticize without knowing ALL the facts (guilty as charged).

Given the fact that white as well as grey are such popular color choices at the moment, I'd like to see GM (specifically Cadillac) do what several other luxury car makers do (and have done for several years), such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Both of those auto makers offer a non-metallic basic white option as well as two different shades of non-tricoat grey on many/most of the vehicles they offer. They also offer a couple of different blacks (as Cadillac does) and a couple of different silvers (as Cadillac doesn't).
    Perhaps Cadillac doesn't want to offer a non-metallic white they can't charge extra dollars for? (as they do for Platinum Ice Tricoat and White Diamond Tricoat). I would order non-metallic/non-pearl white on a 2012 SRX if it was made available this summer rather than wait x-number of months for an extra cost tricoat white to finally become available again.

I was just told by a GM marketing person that Platinum Ice has been discontinued for 2012 with no white color replacement. This sounds very bizare to me. Could Cadillac discontinue their #1 selling color with no replacement?
    ?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

while Mark NY gives a great explanation of parts sourcing and contracts/deals up above, isn't it also possible that this one company (Merck) has the sole patents on this 'pigment' (xirallic)?

apparently hyundai has found an alternative ...
    http://news.google.com/news/search?a...=en&q=xirallic
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

RAB

The 2012 Online Order Guide for the SRX now shows exterior color Platinum Ice Tricoat as being deleted.
    No word yet as to when or if Cadillac/GM will offer some other version of white to take the place of Platinum Ice on the 2012 SRX.

Meanwhile, given the ongoing shortage of Xirallic, virtually all auto makers are now scrambling to find substitutes for Xirallic-based coatings.
    Ralf Speth, chief executive officer of Jaguar Land Rover, recently said, "If you had asked me before the disaster what single item made in Japan could affect the entire global auto industry, I never would have guessed paint".

To all the captains of the auto industry.. Job Well Done!! in terms of contingency planning for coating supply issues.

This paint/pigment supply issue has made me re-think my timing for placing an order for a new SRX. I may choose to hang on to my very nice '09 CTS for another year and wait for the 2013 SRX to be available, with its all-new center stack layout & touch-sensitive controls. There will also be a plug-in hybrid model option on the 2013 SRX, which begins to look interesting given the current price of gasoline.
    http://blog.caranddriver.com/2013-ca...s-future-cars/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.