ONSTAR has a Back-up Battery....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, ONSTAR has a Back-up Battery.... in Cadillac SRX Forums; Just found out our SRX (and other GM's) have a Back-up battery! It is a long-life, lithium cell,located in our ...
    Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

ONSTAR has a Back-up Battery....

Just found out our SRX (and other GM's) have a Back-up battery! It is a long-life, lithium cell,located in our Onstar module. If main battery is damaged (as in a crash) the back-up can power an Onstar Crash Notification call to get help. I can't locate any other data, but I assume it could help find the SRX, in case of theft, where the thieves cut the battery cables, to thwart ONSTAR from finding the vehicle and tipping the Police. Based on my calculations, knowledge of lithium cells from my work, and description of battery, I'm guessing it would only work an hour, at most, under these conditions. Cannot find exact batt specs at this time. But beware, because.....

When we work on our SRX to change/upgrade bulbs, wiring add-ons, etc, DO NOT disconnect the main battery with the key/eng ON, OR while Retained Power is working!! (you know how radio still plays with key/eng OFF, for 10-15 minutes or till drivers door is opened to terminate.) Likewise DO NOT test your upgrades till you have re-connected main battery.

If you cause a power drain, with main batt disconnected, the lithium, mini-back-up battery is irreparably drained and will need replacing! You will get the RED lite on the OnSTAR mirror (instead of normal green) indicating SERVICE REQUIRED. It may turn Green after a drive, (nature of lithium batts to bounce back) with main batt reconnected, but do not trust it. Back-up power may be incapable of an ONSTAR call, in event of an accident. Dealer must replace it. Costs may apply.

I found some data from our Rippy, on other Caddy cars, during a Google search. Maybe he or other Dealer members can add.....

Never knew. And my daughter was recently rescued via an ONSTAR Crash Notification. Her Chevy was totaled but she had relatively minor injuries and Ambulance/Police found her quickly and accurately, and I was also notified, all thx to Onstar!

SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: ONSTAR has a Back-up Battery....

This is good to know. I wonder why they didn't make this a "rechargeable" lithium on a constant trickle charge. That way, if it does drain down it would automatically recharge itself.

Sube

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Good question. Perhaps the big price diff in the 2 ? Both at build time and replacement?? I will be looking at the Green dot in all my family's GM cars now.....

SS

KRSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

To disable ONSTAR all a thief has to do is put tinfoil around the antenna.

Mike Grasso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Gray Flannel 2013 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    To disable ONSTAR all a thief has to do is put tinfoil around the antenna.
    Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info, I'm sure a lot of bad guys will like it when they Google....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.