What do you use to clean water stains on the windshield?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, What do you use to clean water stains on the windshield? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I've been struggling with water stains on my windshield after I hand wash my car. I haven't tried to clean ...
    algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX, '10 SRX Luxury Radiant Silver / Titanium w/Ebony

What do you use to clean water stains on the windshield?

I've been struggling with water stains on my windshield after I hand wash my car. I haven't tried to clean it with anything else other than Windex, but it does not clean the water stains off. I make sure to keep the windshield wet and then wipe down dry with a chamois and I still get water marks.

Should I use vinegar, ammonia, something else to clean the windshield?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Re: What do you use to clean water stains on the windshield?

I use Invisible Glass. Both inside and out. I've heard of this on other new cars. Rain-X may work to keep it clean afterwards... Be sure and clean the wiper blades also! Very important.

One guy here had the Dealer power buff it when he was out of ideas. Worked well.

SS

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Here's my suggestion:

1. Get some extra fine (000 or 0000 grade) steel wool.

2. Sprinkle a little baby powder on it (this absorbs any silicone that may be on the window).

3. Put down a drop cloth to catch any droppings.

4. Rub the steel wool in a circular motion on the affected area.

Don't worry about scratching the glass if you use fine grade steel wool. Do not use 00 or 0 grade steel wool as this is too abrasive for glass.

NOTE: I saw professional car detail people at the Buffalo Auto show last year using the 0000 steel wool to clean all the brand new vehicles glass windshields.

That should do the trick!

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' SRX View Post
    I use Invisible Glass. Both inside and out. I've heard of this on other new cars. Rain-X may work to keep it clean afterwards... Be sure and clean the wiper blades also! Very important.

One guy here had the Dealer power buff it when he was out of ideas. Worked well.

SS
    I use an Invisible Glass Reach tool with Invisible Glass cleaner on the inside and outside and don't every see any water spots.

I also use Rain-X Glass Cleaner Plus Rain Repellent on occasion on all exterior glass.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Invisible glass by Stoner is good stuff. A lot of the old and antique car owners use it. In fact all the Stoner products, and there are many are very good.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

If you have stains that aren't removed with window cleaner, you can use either BonAmi or Bartenders Friend (both are a powdered cleansor) that will not scratch glass but will cut all the way back to the glass. After the treatment, I would then apply Rain-X, and after that, maintain with Invisible Glass (by Stoner).

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Does anyone know if Stoner products are carried at Autozone or other fine auto stores?

I have been wanting to treat my glass with Rain-x since I purchase the car, but I can't seem to get the glass clean enough prior to treatment and didn't want to treat dirty glass. I'm a little hesitant to use an abrasive on the glass; i'm worried about creating a haze from the sun.

I guess I'll try Stoner and if that doesn't help i'll use a very fine abrasive.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

O'Reillys usually has the Stoner invisible glass as does Walmart. Also they both usually carry the Stoner more Shine tire enhancer. Other Stoner products can be ordered from their website, and they will let you mix products to gt a case discount.

22velocity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cadillac srx performance

Algiorda, just my thoughts, I have been detailing cars for just over 50 years. I got away from using Rain-x several years ago because it has silicones in it and causes smearing on the glass. What I have found works best is 0000 steel wool in back and forth not circular motions if there is a light film on the glass I use a clay bar. Next step, PPG industries makes a product called Aquapel, It lasts up to a year, beads water very good and does not smear. I follow up on regular cleaning with stoners invisible glass. The side windows and back glass I use Zaino Z2 sealant. You will notice that when you dry your glass after using the above treatment, it drys real easy. Frank

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 22velocity View Post
    Algiorda, just my thoughts, I have been detailing cars for just over 50 years. I got away from using Rain-x several years ago because it has silicones in it and causes smearing on the glass. What I have found works best is 0000 steel wool in back and forth not circular motions if there is a light film on the glass I use a clay bar. Next step, PPG industries makes a product called Aquapel, It lasts up to a year, beads water very good and does not smear. I follow up on regular cleaning with stoners invisible glass. The side windows and back glass I use Zaino Z2 sealant. You will notice that when you dry your glass after using the above treatment, it drys real easy. Frank
    That's good to know... back and forth with the 0000 steel wool not circular motion and I never thought of using a clay bar too. I have to admit I never heard of Stoner's Invisible glass before, I will need to try and locate some.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Baby powder and steel wool! You should see my neighbors face!! Damn I love this Forum!!! LOL

SS

imnutz66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

I've used a paste made out of baking soda - for the people that use steel wool, how do you keep the bits out of the cracks and crevices where it will sit and rust??

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Steel wool, baby powder, RainX, elbow grease . . . --who has time to deal with all of that? Want to use one product with a cotton towel to wipe off the hardest water stains without breaking a sweat? Try Zaino's glass polish. I have yet to find an easier-to-use product. You just rub it on with a supplied cotton pad, (--lightly, remember the whole point is to not perspire) let it dry, and use the towel to wipe it off. No residue, no polishing effort --just crystal-clear glass. One bottle will last years.

CC

Well, I bought and tried Stoners Invisible glass over the weekend and it really did not make much of a difference at all. I didn't see any difference between Stoners and Windex, to tell you the truth. I did notice when I sprayed it on the windshield, it did not want to adhere and sort of beaded up. My car was treated new with a product called Xilon. I wonder if that material is causing my windshield to either attract water spots and/or cause a haze.

I don't know what a CLAY bar is (where do I purchase that?) and I haven't tried the Baby Powder (Never thought I would purchase that again!) and the steel wool. I guess I'm going to have to tread in new territory as this is all new to me. I just want to clean my windshield! LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.