2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else in Cadillac SRX Forums; I just leased the 2011 SRX "Luxury" package with extra Nav. and tow. The headlights are very disappointing to me. ...
    DoctorDave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else

I just leased the 2011 SRX "Luxury" package with extra Nav. and tow. The headlights are very disappointing to me. The high beams are great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else feel the same? Any advice? I wish I sprung for the fog lights just to get some extra light. I previously had the Enclave and the low lights were very good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone

have your dealer double check the headlight alignment... it's possible that they're aimed too far downward
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Re: 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone

Also, please realize that they are not HID in the Luxury.

TRMN8R1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX LUX Radiant Silver Metallic 3.0AWD

My observations as well, btw, for those of us who've never had HID's to benchmark against on previous or other vehicles, it shouldn't matter. What would have helped is that Cad would have included fogs as std equipment like it was on my previous three GMC vehicles, come on Cadillac, what's up with that? As PP suggested, next trip to dealer, have them check alignment, that's what I'm going to do.

skyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSX

Exactly correct. I am terribly dissapointed with the same situation and truly feel that the low beams are so bad that they pose a danger to night driving. We just turned in our 2008 Acadia which had the HID lights, bright and powerful but the SRX Lux lows's are terrible. 2011 SRX Lux edition

Steve Young

Glad I'm not alone. I will show this post to my dealer because they always have the ready response "well, we never heard that complaint from anyone else before". I think they are aimed correctly, and I am sure the dealer will say so, but will ask them to check.
    skyoung - I agree, I literally felt unsafe, and even though it is leased, I considered adding fog lights. I'm quite pissed about this.

Another question - does anyone know if these can be converted to HID and if so what would be the approx. cost?

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

The Enclave had standard HID lights. Very strong. There is a difference! You get what you pay for and now after having them on the Enclave and current SRX, I had to go buy some aftermarket replacement bulbs for my 2011 Yukon! Standard halogen bulbs did not compare. Perhaps it's what you get used to??

Anyway P.I.A to change the bulbs.........adjusted some stuff under hood so next time I can do in 10 minutes per side, max. There are some threads here about what a big job it is to change the SRX headlite bulbs. I think Capt has done????
    See post on adding HID's................

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ry-models.html

I'd add FOG lites! 4 lights better than 2.

SS

At dealer, dont bother, there is no aligment to be done. Halogens suck.

you could switch out the bulbs for SilverStar Ultras or one of the other brands' high lumen output bulbs
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ght-bulbs.html
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

also, converting halogen capsules to HID is illegal
    (not to mention dangerous since the halogen capsule will spread the HID light in the eyes of oncoming traffic worse than high beams - which is why it's illegal)

skyoung is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 RSX

I went to my dealer and complained bitterly about the lousy low beams of my LUx model, he didn't seem to be bothered with my arguement even when I told him It was a serious issue with regard to safety. I think Cadillac has dropped the ball on this one. Our previous auto, an Acadia had HID's and what a difference. Driving lights, well they don't project out, just in front of the car so my gess Is I will try to get more powerful bulbs like PIA or better. Aside from this small complaint, both my wife and I love the car, it is great, especially now I put 20 " RSX wheels on it and big fatties, it looks real good. We also got the GPS opton. Dr Dave, I am a PA in the greater Seattle Area, Greetings

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Simple solution for night driving on dark roads with my SRX Luxury Model.

I installed the following:
    Replaced factory bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar H11 bulbs- Headlights still didnt light up the road until I added driving lights mounted on the lower grill below bumper.

Optronics Platinum Burner Series QH84CF driving lights with glass lens
    5" wide x 2.3"high x 2.3"deep
    H3 halogen bulbs
    $19 at Walmart Auto Dept
    very simple instalation

SRX now lights up dark roads with bright white light and no complaints from on coming traffic.

For some reason the Cadillac designers didnt use a wide beam projector headlight lens on the base and luxury model. They must of thought that senior citizens only drive during daylight hours.

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

I have aftermarket HID's installed on my Luxury model and the cut off line is exactly the same as the factory model. The reason people say the lights are illegal is because the lights are not auto leveling. If you keep your lights aimed this is not a problem. I have a thread in this forum that explains the mod. You can probally get a shop in your area to do the installation. Most shops doing radio installs, and other modifications will probally do the lights. You can also have the dealer do the fog light installation and add HID's to the fogs. This will help greatly if you don't want to go the aftermarket HID headlight route. I have to say, the factory halogens are terrible. This is the reason I changed my lights to HID's. All my other cars have HID"s and I couldn't live without them. I also have HID's in my fogs and the combination is unbelievable.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ry-models.html

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm a big fan of Xenon headlights- there's a huge difference between them and halogens.

It's not super cost effective, but another option may be installing a GM Foglight package through your dealer. It uses the same exact parts as what comes on the Performance and Premium models, replacing the black plastic "blank" on your front bumpers. Cost installed should be less than $500.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.