2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone else in Cadillac SRX Forums; Cooper10-- Please contact me concerning how you mounted the Optronics. I have purchased similar lights and would like to mount ...
    morven39 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance FWD

Re: 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone

Cooper10-- Please contact me concerning how you mounted the Optronics. I have purchased similar lights and would like to mount in approx same location but can't tell from the small picture how they were mounted. Also, if you could tell me the fuse location/number in the engine compartment for the low beam headlights I would appreciate it. The owners manual didn't help me. I want to hook them up so that they will only come on when low beams are on if possible. Any help appreciated.

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Re: 2011 SRX "Luxury" headlights - high beams great but low beams TERRIBLE....anyone

Morven39,
    I mounted the light brackets underneath the center section of the front bumper. The lights that I used fit flush at the lower plastic grill without protruding. I used small machine screws that came with the light kit. The light kit that I used did not come with a fog light relay. 20 amp lights draw too much to be wired directly with the on/off switch that was supplied.I purchased a fog light wiring kit which included the light relay for $12 on ebay.
    The power wire with inline 20amp fuse went to the negative terminal of the battery. I will rewire power wire and use fuse #13 which is 20amps and used for the windshield washer. When I shut the engine off the lights will go out and I dont have to remember to shut
    off the fog light swith.
    I wont wire the lights directly to the headlight fuse, it may damage the light system on the car and may void the warranty.
    Running wires to the dashboard was not an easy task.

Jonkarn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Xenon Blue/Ebony SRX Lux AWD w/N av

So the Luxury model only has your average halogen "yellowish blah" headlights? And the performance and Premium have Xenon? This is crazy that there is now Xenon in a 45K car. They force you to spend another 3k in order to get them in the performance? Regular headlights seriously downgrade visibility and the look of the car, making it seem cheaper. My wife's $24K Mazda 3 has Bi-Xenon headlights/high beams. How embarrassing!!

Cooper10,
    Thanks. The best I can tell from the picture I saw, you mounted the lights to the under side of the painted bumper directly below the parking assist sensors. If this isn't the case, please let me know. I did a trial fitting of the lights that I bought and they fit in that location ok. Did you drill small holes to start the screws or is that necessary? Since you said that you also purchased a light relay, will it still be needed when you use the #13 fuse for power? I am leaving for the mountains soon and want to get the lights installed prior to leaving. Again, thanks for the help

Morven39,
    I made small pilot holes on the underside of the bumper. You still need a light relay so the light switch doesnt overheat.Use one screw on the bracket so you can aim the driving lights straight ahead. Than use the other screw to lock in place. If you follow the angle of the bumper the lights shine on the road shoulders. I feel that the standard headlights are a safety concern at night time with this vehicle.
    The Cadillac engineers never drove the base and luxury SRX at night time.

Cooper10,
    Thanks for all the info. Will be trying to install the lights tomorrow.

Cooper10,
    The lights I bought are Pilot NV504W which are 5"Wx1 1/2"Hx2 3/4D which are almost exactly the same size as the Optronics you installed. Walmart was out of the Optronics. They are the same width, not as high and are a very small amount deeper. They fit perfectly in the opening like you used, but I can't figure out how you got a tool in beside them to attach the lights after attaching the bracket in the opening. The little amount deeper isn't causing the problem, I just don't have a tool that will fit in the space on the side to hold the small bolt, attach, and tighten. I can't tell from the little photo whether your lights were installed as far back in the opening as possible so that they are almost even with the black grill across the front or installed where the lens is sticking out some from the grill.
    I gave up for today due to the cold weather. Hope that you can tell me what I did not understand from your explanation concerning installation. They will look great in the location if there is a way to install the bolts.

Greg Franklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

My 2012 SRX Lux low beams are terrible too. Looking for a fix that will improve them and not entail taking the bumper off!

Morven39,
    I used self tapping machine screws to mount the brackets under the bumper. Be careful not to overtighten.
    The bumper is a thick plastic material. My lights are on for a year and I have no problems. On a dark interstate with the lowbeams, I can see the road ahead with no problems. The headlights still stink if your on a road with sodium vapor street lights. I have one year left on my lease and every month I count down when I can get rid of the SRX. My prior Land Rover HID headlights made night into daylight on the road.

I just did a seach on the NHTSA web site for vehicle complaints on www.safercars.com, I found a headlight complaint for a 2010 SRX that was filed on 1/15/2011, complaint # 10405415, failure mileage when reported was 100 miles. Dealer could not repair the problem and notified the factory of the issue. Text of complaint: TL* The contact owns a 2010 Cadillac SRX. The contact was driving approx 60 mph with the low beam headlight in activation however, they exhibited extremely poor lighting. The headlights failed to illuminate the entire road.

In 2010 Cadillac sold 54,000 SRX's and only 1 complaint with NHTSA ? No one that reads this forum is happy with the poor headlight illumination on the base and luxury models.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

I'm just curious and was wondering how much trouble is it to change the bulbs in the 2011 headlight?

Jonkarn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Xenon Blue/Ebony SRX Lux AWD w/N av

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    I'm a big fan of Xenon headlights- there's a huge difference between them and halogens.

It's not super cost effective, but another option may be installing a GM Foglight package through your dealer. It uses the same exact parts as what comes on the Performance and Premium models, replacing the black plastic "blank" on your front bumpers. Cost installed should be less than $500.
    I'm picking up my new '12 Luxury and I will be having them install the fog lights after reading all the posts here, and just not liking the blank no fog light look. It's a 45K car, and not having fog lights standard make it look cheapened. They are charging me $500. To roll this cost into my lease would've come out to $615 overthe course of 36 months so I will be paying out of pocket. Found it curious that I would have to pay the full cost of the install considering that I will be turning the car in after 36 months. Figured the cost would be prorated since that's half the time of buying outright. Oh well will appreciate the look and performance enhancements.

Willo is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Our SRX Luxury has the standard lights and we have no problems with low beam vision whatsoever under any conditions.

Eat more carrots before you get behind the wheel at night!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.