Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Considering a New 2011 SRX ... Please Chime In

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  rand49er 
#1 ·
Spend all my time in the Gen 1 CTS-V forum, but realized there's a wealth of info just a click away right here, so I thought I'd ask you guys/gals.

Well, wife wants a new car, and the SRX is near the top of the list. She wants luxury and to be pampered, but is rather pragmatic, too. I did the "build your own" thing, but specifically are there any options we should definitely consider or definitely not consider?

#2 ·
The cooled front seats are really nice. But only available on the Premium. Note also that the Performance and Premium editions come with 20" wheels and firmer suspension tuning. I think that the handling/ride compromise is just about perfect, but my wife thinks that it rides too harsh. :cookoo:

#3 ·
Whoa, thanks for the quick response. My wife would LOVE cooled seats ... firmer suspension, less so, but I'd sure like it. Is there a dramatic difference in ride feel or just subtle?

#4 ·
Go drive them both! I opted for the LUX because this is my 'other office' on the road, so cush was more important to me. There's really not much I gave up from Performance to LUX in the way of features, besides the LUX has everything I wanted/needed (with the possible exception of fog lamps). Come on Cadillac, no fogs on LUX version?????

#7 ·
Yes, there is quite a difference in the ride/handling between the base/Lux versus the Performance/Premium. You'll have to try them. But note that if you want the higher levels of equipment on the Performance or Premium editions (like cooled seats), then you don't have a choice.

Regarding performance, for me the 3.0L was just OK. But I decided to buy a performance tune and reflash the engine and transmission control modules. Significant improvement in throttle response, and low end torque (+20 ft-lbs). Fuel economy improved 1-2 mpg also.

#8 ·
I'm ok with the 3.0, what bothers me more is the constant down-shifting in the 6-speed, but maybe it's 'still learning' me? Who knows? Anyway, still breaking in, have around 3100m on the dial, seeing 19-21 aound town which I'm very happy about, BUT, not much difference OTR, maybe another point or two. Never bested 21 and change yet...............I'm thinking that maybe after 5-6k on the dial, it will improve, ALSO, running winter gas blends, mixed driving conditions, etc, so I'm anticipating improvement in the MPG's come spring time.

#10 ·
Power? My wife? Naw. She is a lead foot, for sure, but she'll just give whatever amount of throttle is necessary to meet her "need for speed" at that moment. It's funny ... she's smart as heck and buys into all the global warming malarky, but if she's going 25 MPH and wants to go, say, 40 MPH, she doesn't ease into it like I would ... she steps on it, if you know what I mean. Saying that, I'm just fine with the 3.0 motor as far as size goes. Dumb (okay, lazy is more like it) ques: Is that a four-valve per cylinder design? VVT? DI?

#14 ·
I just got 9.4 L/100km (24L over 260 km) (25 US MPG) for economy on one section of my recent trip. Cruise set at 110 (weather was not good) and didn't touch it! Some rolling hills, and two large valleys, while mostly flat.

#16 ·
Wow. Nice looking little motor. And 25 MPG (9.4l/100km) highway, too.

I just know if we get one, eAssist will be offered in '12. That would really perk up that city number ... could possibly put it at or over 25 city. Oh, well ...

#17 ·
Howdy,

I started looking at the SRX with the 3.0, ended up with the 2.8 Turbo..the dealer had 4 SRX's, 2 with 2.8, 2 with 3.0..we ended up with the 2.8 ONLY because it was the only one that had the rear dvd entertainment system. LOL! When we went to make the deal, the wife got in the 2.8, drove the Hell out of it..(she has the heavy right foot as well)..she didnt even take a 3.0 for a test drive, so I cant help you there, but I'm sure that they are a fine running machine. We have about 1200 miles on it, the lie-o-meter says we are at 20mpg, so who knows how much better it will be at break-in. But I can tell you as far as 2.8 performance, my SRX is a quick little fellow, and a lot of fun to drive through the canyons...plus, it holds it's speed up steep inclines on the freeway real easy.

#18 ·
Get a Turbo 2.8 if you can afford it and find a left over 2010. As for the suspension. I had a 2006 SRX 3.6 AWD and the suspension was very soft and there was excessive body roll. The new firmer magnetic suspension is such a nice upgrade over the 2006's ride.

#19 ·
Randy, my mom is looking at these also and I started a thread you may get alittle info from it is on page 2 now I think. she only wants awd as you may also for the winters. she drove 2, 1 luxury 1 performance both awd I did not feel any great ride difference and was happy with both. It did seem to down shift more frequently that her current old bravada but she was fine with what power it had. A couple things may help narrow down which of the 3 levels you get. 1st luxury is base level, nav is an option on the lux but xenon headlamps is not so that threw out the luxury. 2nd is the performance, xenon headlamps, fogs, and touch screen nav standard, this is the level she prefers... then 3rd the premium has everything the lower grades has but adds most importantly heated outboard rear seats, tri zone hvac instead of dual zone and ventilated driver and passenger seats. there are some smaller details but these seem to me to be the biggest difference. all 3 have parking sensors front and rear if you dont have nav the screen for backup camera it is in rear view mirror. Her friend just bought a luxury this weekend and my mom did not pull the trigger and the $1000.00 loyalty rebate ended last night she gambled they might sweeten the pot but they did not, so now she's debating to just bite the bullet and buy or wait till the incentive goes up again. They are selling good so the dealers are not to willing to discount much but there are several within 100 miles of here so they are not scarce either. There are also several 2010's left new also if that interests you but she wants an '11 with the free maintanance for 4yr 50,000 miles. If you see any incentive sweeteners let me know.

#20 ·
Ours has to be AWD. My wife HAS to get to work ... it is not an option. What really got her to start considering a new car again (we went thru this back in October ... ugh) is that she wants to be able to call on her cell phone and have the car start and have it heated/cooled/whatever before she walks way the heck out into the parking lot and gets into it. I guess with OnStar, that can be done. She would really like the cooled (ventilated ... whatever) seats.

I'm aware that they discontinued the 2.8 turbo, so I don't think I'd be interested in one of those. When I called to confirm my understanding of the remote start feature would work via her cell phone, the salesman told be about the expiring $1,000 loyalty thing, but I wasn't going to jump in the car right at that moment to try to take advantage of it with only a few hours left. Like you, I'll chance that there will be some other sweetener coming down the pike. Anywho, not crazy about plunking down 50 Gs, but my wife is worth every penny of it ... she works doggone hard and is otherwise quite frugal. Personally, I'll be driving it occasionally on trips so knowing that handling is better with the higher-end models would be a definite plus for them.

When it all gets said and done, the options we want (AWD, ventilated seats, 3.0 motor, remote start, NAV) may dictate which one we settle on.

#21 ·
Just a quick note to the excell data above posters; only 2011+ has Onstar version 9.0. This is whats needed to use the MYONSTAR link and you must have a "smart" phone, such as Blackberry, IPhone, Android, etc. Check the ONSTAR web site for exact details.

The turbo rocks .................if $$ is a relatively minor issue :) (Premium gas only!)

Good luck!

SS

#25 ·
Pretty sure my wife's phone will work. Nice to hear that the turbo is regarded so well. At under $1,100 additional money, maybe we will consider it afterall ... not to mention the upgraded AWD and suspension.

Get the Performance. Worth the extra coin.
Okay, you got me thinking.

Your choice has gotten pretty simple: if you want ventilated seats then you have to get the Premium edition. All the other options you mention are included.
Yup. Seems this thread has done its job.

Thanks to all who chimed in with your likes. Not hearing any dislikes is also very encouraging. You've got me looking forward to driving it. Thanks, again.

#22 ·
I'm also considering the SRX when my BMW lease expires in Sept. I haven't test-driven one yet, but I'm concerned about the performance of the 3.0. I definitely cannot afford the turbo. My question to those who have the 3.0 is, do you feel it has enough pickup to quickly merge into highway traffic? I remember when I had my 6-cyl. Infiniti SUV, I definitely had to wait to merge until there was a lot of room....it definitely was not the peppiest thing on the block. My BMW is, of course, a pocket rocket, so I'd be disappointed to go into an under-powered vehicle.

Other than that, I was going for every option except the rear DVD system. The 20" wheels are a MUST, so I'm hoping the ride is not too harsh....I was looking for a bit cushier ride than my 335i, which is smooth but firm and sporty.

#27 ·
Since your purchase time frame is September, if you can hold off, I'd wait for the 2012 SRX. Not only will you get the peppier 3.6 engine but you'll also get the benefit of the 2012 model year improvements which are inevitable. There were 2010 first year glitches that were fixed on the fly but the 2011 has even more hidden improvements.

Don't worry about the ride on 20" wheels/tires. I keep mine inflated at around 34 psi and my turbo rides a lot smoother and handles better that the Lexus RX350 which it replaced. When I took my first test drive it rode like a log wagon. We checked the air and it came from the factory with 38-39 psi. We dropped them to 34 psi and it made all the difference in the world.

#23 ·
Get the Performance. Worth the extra coin.

#26 ·
There's nothing wrong with the 3.0L engine Nancy, it has more then enough power to merge, jump into traffic from a dead stop. People just think its slow because she's shorter on the torque then some engines used in this class of vehicle.

It's not like a car company would put a vehicle out there and it not be able to do proper primary abilities (such as merging timely).

#31 ·
My wife drives a 2011 SRX Turbo. I was shocked by the power. At between 120 mph & 130 mph the vehicle starts to get thrown around by wind buffeting. Other than that no problems to date and all of the features are nice. The only options we don't have is rear entertainment system and block heater. And yes, the vehicle will top 130 mph...

#33 ·
So, now I'm hearing about a plug-in hybrid SRX for 2013. Problem is, I can't get enough info on it even from gminsidenews.

What motor is it going to have? Will it come in AWD form? Anybody point me in the right direction?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.