Backup Camera Quality - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Backup Camera Quality in Cadillac SRX Forums; I agree and I bet the screen is the weak link in our system. It would be great if someone ...
    inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Backup Camera Quality

I agree and I bet the screen is the weak link in our system. It would be great if someone could hook our camera to a different screen to see if it was the screen or the camera.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Resurrecting this old thread. I have 18K miles on my 2010 Premium. I am now starting to see the backup image as very degraded. The interior screen seems fine when I play a video so I suspect the rear camera has gone awry. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

allgm is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

I wonder if the lens is degrading. The tailgate sure picks up all the road grime. When I wax my SRX I wax the lens also. Maybe try some polish on it can't hurt.

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

My camera seems fine for it's intended purpose when there is no moisture on the lens. If it rains at all, I either have a hard time seeing on the monitor, or I see a blur/blob. I can't imagine what will happen when the snow starts flying in Central New York State. I wonder if precipitation is a problem for all back up cameras. This is my first back up camera. As I said, the quality seems fine for the intended application. I use the camera to gauge the space in the rear when backing. I haven't really used it for anything else.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic
    300, moisture on backup cams is a problem anytime any precipitation falls. Lucky ours is out all the time and easy to clean. Some manufacturers have a flip camera to try and assist in preventing this, but anywhere actual snow falls, it just jams the flip mechanism and burns the motor out. Really leaving you in the dark!
    I just walk by and wipe my camera off when in wet/snowy conditions. Easy as pie.
    Marc NY and Marc NY like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

300:29:1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury w/NAV

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    300, moisture on backup cams is a problem anytime any precipitation falls. Lucky ours is out all the time and easy to clean. Some manufacturers have a flip camera to try and assist in preventing this, but anywhere actual snow falls, it just jams the flip mechanism and burns the motor out. Really leaving you in the dark!
    I just walk by and wipe my camera off when in wet/snowy conditions. Easy as pie.
    Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that after reading this thread, I looked at my monitor on the nav screen while reversing again. The display is actually quite good imo, but is noticeably poor at night.

ezstriper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

there is a GM TSB of the poor rear camera issue now...saw it listed on the equinox/terrain/srx forums

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ezstriper View Post
    there is a GM TSB of the poor rear camera issue now...saw it listed on the equinox/terrain/srx forums
    So what did it say? How about a link?

hambone8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium

I was just thinking a couple of days ago that the rear camera on the srx seems to be lacking in regards to resolution. I wonder is there is a way to hook up my old iPhone to replace it lol. I think in this day and age upgrading the camera wouldn't require tremendous amounts of brain power for from engineers or cost that much when considering the overall cost of an srx.

Denny41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 SRX-AWD. 2012 SRX Performance AWD

My thoughts would be that it's not an Engineering issue but a cost issue. You might be surprised at the amount of blood, sweat and tears over a savings of a few pennys per unit.

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

You are right about cost Denny. I remember when Johnson/Evinrude were the only big outboard motor manufacturers in the world and they refused to put stainless screws in their engines to save a few cents per motor. Now they are almost out of business. The bean counters can ruin any business if you let them. It would be interesting to see how much more in cost there would be to a new SRX if they came equipped with HIDs, a spare tire and a decent backup camera. I'm not talking about what they would charge us to buy these additions AFTER we own the car but when it is being built.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    ...The bean counters can ruin any business if you let them. It would be interesting to see how much more in cost there would be to a new SRX if they came equipped with HIDs, a spare tire and a decent backup camera. I'm not talking about what they would charge us to buy these additions AFTER we own the car but when it is being built.
    IMO: Bean counters back in the dark days of GM did do that, especially in the late 70's & 80's!

BTW:I have to agree... I would like to see more added features (HUD) to the SRX. I see that Cadillac is offering a spare tire as an option for those that want to have it.

The back up camera on my 2013, at least to me, seems to be an improvment over my previous SRXs... the camera also comes on much quicker (lesser of a delay) and seems to have a little bit more detail in it too.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Ya, the CUE reverse camera is very good, and it doesn't have the lag programmed in to account for the popup nav wait time.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I have to agree the 13 backup camera has a better quality image. Also like the fact you don't have to wait for the screen to rise before it comes on. Almost had an accident in our 10 when I started to back out of a parking space. Looked, it was clear, then started to bbackup, and another car came into the parking lot like it was the Indy 500. The backup camera wasn't up and on yet, but the rear parking sensors saved me.

hipkts2014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac SRX Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
    I believe that the backup camera performance is pretty consistent, from vehicle to vehicle. I suspect that the differences are related to owner's expectations.
    The camera in my 2012 Equinox was great, even though it was a small window. Perfectly clear.
    The camera in a 2014 SRX is almost perfectly clear.
    The dealership where I purchased the vehicle says that what I am seeing in the 2011 SRX is good. (Like looking through a cloud)
    Second dealership said that they could not improve on what I had.
    Thinking about replacing the camera lens portion.
    Yes, my lens is kept clean.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.