Backup Camera Quality - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Backup Camera Quality in Cadillac SRX Forums; While it is not what I would call outstanding, our SRX backup camera seems fine to me. I just noticed ...
    Maxdmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Re: Backup Camera Quality

While it is not what I would call outstanding, our SRX backup camera seems fine to me. I just noticed something on our SRX tonight and while it may not have anything to do with the issue some are having I thought it might be worth throwing this out just in case. If it is dark and your lights are on put your car in reverse and turn your dash light dimmer up and down. When I did this it also dimmed the backup image quite a bit. So if your dash lights are dimmed so will your backup image.

gedecker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 srx

Gary, CA
    I have a 2011 SRX and the camera is not very good. I think they must have put in the cheapest 1 Megapixel camera they could find. I wonder if there is a better after market camera?

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My camera seems to be ok. It is not up to the standards that I would have imagined for Cadillac but I can live with it. I have noticed when backing out of my dark garage the picture is in the dimmed mode and is basically unusable until it hits the sun and the auto dimmer kicks out. I have more of a problem with the nav display and have to leave it in the night mode to see the lines on the screen. In the day mode they are a very pale yellow and are unreadable. Who in hell would have ever used that color? Did they never look at a Garmin or a Magellan receiver? I would also like to have some form of control over the screen display such as brightness or color. Can you imagine a TV with no controls for these items? I understand auto companies and know they will NEVER retrofit any of our cars but it might help newer models get a better system so keep the responses coming.

Jonkarn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Xenon Blue/Ebony SRX Lux AWD w/N av

As an amateur photographer I would say the poor image is the result of very low resolution(low megapixels, blown up to an 8 inch screen) plus boosted contrast, making the image grainy. I just switched from an Infiniti, which had a pretty clear picture although would react too strongly to changes in brightness. The caddy's is definately grainy and washed out, but does the job. The other thing I liked about the Infinitis backup camera was that besides the lines showing wheel direction, it also had lines showing the cars orientation in relation to where the wheels were pointing, as well as different Colors on the lines to show distance to object in camera. Oh well, some things about the Infiniti I didn't like as well. Although I miss the automatic back seat lower and raise button and the electroni

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jonkarn View Post
    As an amateur photographer I would say the poor image is the result of very low resolution(low megapixels, blown up to an 8 inch screen) plus boosted contrast, making the image grainy. I just switched from an Infiniti, which had a pretty clear picture although would react too strongly to changes in brightness. The caddy's is definately grainy and washed out, but does the job. The other thing I liked about the Infinitis backup camera was that besides the lines showing wheel direction, it also had lines showing the cars orientation in relation to where the wheels were pointing, as well as different Colors on the lines to show distance to object in camera. Oh well, some things about the Infiniti I didn't like as well. Although I miss the automatic back seat lower and raise button and the electroni
    ...electronic steering wheel adjustment...

paid4c4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX/AWD Premium

I am beginning to think all car manufacturers must use the cheapest backup cameras they can find. The camera in our 2012X has the same quality as our 2009 Infiniti FX. I'm also surprised an aftermarket manufacturer hasn't developed a plug and play high quality replacement camera.
    Bill

Jonkarn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Xenon Blue/Ebony SRX Lux AWD w/N av

It cant be too difficult to get a replacement camera of better quality, can it? There are probably many options that would fit the present camera housing and be compatable I would think. Does anyone have any experience with this?

pblonde is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I just purchased a 2012 SRX after trading in a 2009 Lincoln MKS and am very disappointed with the camera quality of the SRX. Both my husband and I have owned a number of Cadillacs over the years and have never been disappointed with any features. However based upon the comments I'm seeing on this site, there have been ongoing concerns about the quality of the camera for quite some time. Given the exemplary quality of the camera on my MKS which was 3 years old when I switched to a brand new 2012 SRX this past weekend as well as what appears to be other brands where the cameras are superior I question why Cadillac has not improved on this feature. I'm told that the new 2012 SRX was redone from the previous version of the SRX (of which I did have one when they were originally introduced). Isn't Cadillac listening????

inspectorudy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

PBblonde, to answer your question, NO, they are not listening. They never have and they never will. GM is under so much pressure to cut costs that we are not even on their radar screen. With disasters like the Volt they are scrambling to earn a profit on all of their other models. This is called bean counter folly. It's were a company lets its bean counters make decisions that cut costs but undermines their product's quality. It happens in every industry. Good management would not let it happen but with the game of musical CEO's at GM there is no one concerned about GM's image at this moment only their survival. I agree with the writer above who wanted to know if there was not a good replacement camera that could plug and play. However if it is the screen then all is lost. To me I am an old guy who thinks that I should buy American whenever I can and I have always treated the big two like I treat our Olympic athletes, with respect and hope they win. But when a company cannot go out and buy their competitors products and make their own better then I start to lose respect and realize that they are big corporations that really do not have the welfare of their customers at heart. Like most have said here, there are so many other backup cameras and screens available that you have to wonder how Cadillac could have chosen this crappy model. It had to be a purely cost decision. The same goes for the low beam head lights and why they would think that Cadillac owners would want safety to be an option. Merry Christmas!
    Trippy and Trippy like this.

Ponyman is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Don't forget about the front parking sensors too!

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by inspectorudy View Post
    PBblonde, to answer your question, NO, they are not listening. They never have and they never will. ...
    Actually, an official GM employee/department DOES hang out at this site and talks to customers on-line. Sure, it's official, legal-approved conversation but THEY ARE HERE AND PARTICIPATE.

They may not change a design based on activity at one site, but it does feed into their corporate world.

Ponyman is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

The backup camera on my 11 Avalanche does seem to have a better picture, but that may be because it is a quarter the size of the one in the SRx. I would take the size of the SRX screen over the smaller one anyday. I'm not using it to watch movies, just to see if anything is behind me, and it does that job very well.
    allgm, allgm, mrl859 and 2 others like this.

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

I'm just a little sorry to dredge up such an old thread... Lots of comments recently on various posts about it tho.

Just thought I'd chime in that my '12 withOUT NAV has GREAT resolution. I can clearly see the grain of asphalt, cracks in the surface, etc. Today I backed into a space in the parking garage and could see bolts on the wall. When I walked back to look at them, they were no bigger than 1/2".
    While I'm sure its true that different people expect different things, I dont expect to be able to read the headline on my neighbors newspaper as I back up. I figure if I cant clearly make out the leaves on the weeds growing out of my driveway, I can avoid a bicycle or person behind me (and that I need more roundup!)...
    I'm just sayin'...

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but without Nav isn't your backup camera monitor within the rearview mirror? If so, that explains the difference. I'm not sure the poor backup camera image on the Nav screen is due to the camera itself. It may be due to the resolution of the pop-up LCD.

Sube

Huey Driver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Lux

Yes, its in the mirror. And it could be argued that compressing into a much smaller screen makes it APPEAR to have better resolution, plus, being closer to your eye helps. 480x600, for instance, on an 8" screen "looks" worse than the same resolution on a 2" screen. It is most likely that the camera is the limiting factor, as LCD displays are extremely cheap and yet still pretty high res.
    The 'old' iPhone 4 is a 3.5 inch display with 960 x 640 pixel display, my Evo is a 4.3 inch screen with 800 x 480 pixel resolution. Not too hard to get a nice picture compressing that many pixels into that small space.
    But as for being good for 'assisting' with vision, its relatively flawless, IMO.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Good points. Like I've always said, when it comes to audio/video, auto technology is always about five years behind the rest of the world. I remember my first car with a CD player. It was such a big deal, when in fact home CD players had already been out for five years. By the time DVDs made their way into cars, Blu-ray was already out.

Sube

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.