Backup Camera Quality - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Backup Camera Quality in Cadillac SRX Forums; I think it's just "washed" out because the cam is so cranked out in its brightness/contrast ratios. I back into ...
    TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: Backup Camera Quality

I think it's just "washed" out because the cam is so cranked out in its brightness/contrast ratios. I back into some really dark spots, and with the tiny ass backup lights, this cam picks up even the most insignificant changes in terrain/surroundings. Also, while it does have colour, i will agree it is washed out.

BUT! Think of this: you got a new tv (LED, LCD Plasma)! What is the first thing you do (once its set up)? Is adjust the brightness/contrast/ audio settings. Am i right? NOW! You want a good picture, so the darkness and contrast are mid ranged, so you have a sweet picture, but some of the darks/blacks blend into shadows and whatnot (i notice this a lot on vid games. they like to hide stuff in shadows!).
    So what do i do in order to "see" into the shadows? That's right, crank up the brightness/contrast ratio so i can see outlines and stuff. Guess what also happens at the same time? Yea, i lose a bit of my crisp, super clean picture.
    The only thing now is, this is the same thing on MY SRX anyway... though without HD quality (of which i bet many of us are used to) the picture loses more quality, and thus one complains.

I wish the SRX had HD screens in it, and a HD backup cam. None of this 1990's crap!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Hockeytown 1340 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Performance Crystal Red Tintcoat & 11 Avalanche LTZ

I hear ya Captain. I think the big overall complaint is, that GM has some great back-up camera's in other vehicles as in my Avalanche, why not in our SRX? Also, months ago I mentioned in this forum about the Nav screen picture quality not being up to par as in other vehicle's I've owned. I felt the colors on the mapping could be more vibrant. Heck a $150.00 Garmin GPS unit has better color and contrast in bright sunlight than my SRX!

Willo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I have found that attaching the pictured device where my back up camera was greatly imrpoved the quality. In fact, I even have polarized glasses to put on when the car is in reverse to see the view in 3D. Of course, nobody can see the license plate now.

Seriously, the Captain spelled it all out in his recent post. You compromise clarity for resolution in low light and let's face it, the trickiest maneuvers you may face backing up will likely be at night. I'm satisfied with my quality...and another thing to consider, if the rear view mirror is being used for the image, the quality may be better than the larger picture shown on the nav screen.
    Attached Images

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

glad things have calmed down a bit. Written words can be taken out of context without a tone, facial expression like a wink/smile and some body language. It can be a real turn off to other members. Flame wars suck and ruin it for all......

Back to thread, my Enclave also has a much clearer/higher def type pix on the screen. I will have some time to check for adjustments in gain/contrast, etc tomorrow. I have my scopes/tools ready and hope to have some info. Just gotta find the circuit board..... May be that it is a diff vendor/cheaper product?

Peace
    SS

dkmiller3356 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20ll Luxery Ed. SRX, Black w/Shale Interior & Nav Package

UPDATE: I went to my dealer twice, and ended up with the answer: "That is how the product is made, we cannot fox it." My response was that I felt it was safety issue and if seat belts, brakes or a steering column were built in a faulty, and potentially dangerous manner it would be rectified. They told me to call GM and gave me a phone number. I called GM and they "elevated my call."

I heard back from GM today. They told me the same thing - that this was the product and how it was made but that my concern would be noted to Engineering for improvement on future vehicles. I told them I felt the response was unacceptable and that I would contacted the FTC. I was told that "this is my right as a consumer."

No less than 10 minutes later I get a cal from my dealership. Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."

I am going in tomorrow for the update. I will keep you all posted. I'm not expecting great at this point but a slight improvement would be nice.

To be continued...

cam30era is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium FWD

Quote Originally Posted by dkmiller3356 View Post
    UPDATE: I went to my dealer twice, and ended up with the answer: "That is how the product is made, we cannot fox it." My response was that I felt it was safety issue and if seat belts, brakes or a steering column were built in a faulty, and potentially dangerous manner it would be rectified. They told me to call GM and gave me a phone number. I called GM and they "elevated my call."

I heard back from GM today. They told me the same thing - that this was the product and how it was made but that my concern would be noted to Engineering for improvement on future vehicles. I told them I felt the response was unacceptable and that I would contacted the FTC. I was told that "this is my right as a consumer."

No less than 10 minutes later I get a cal from my dealership. Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."

I am going in tomorrow for the update. I will keep you all posted. I'm not expecting great at this point but a slight improvement would be nice.

To be continued...
    If you decide to followup with an official complaint, the FTC is not the right place. Go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/)

Hopefully the software upgrade will do the trick. I'd rather not fight wind mills.

cam30era is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium FWD

Hopefully the software upgrade will do the trick. I'd rather not fight wind mills.
    Yes, I agree with you. But this NHTSA site is specifically designed for vehicle owners to file safety related complaints. If the NHTSA receives enough customer complaints about a specific vehicle/issue, then they will open an investigation.

Good to know. Thanks!!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."
    I guess the squeaky wheel does get the oil after all. If a software update can fix this, that's great. If not and it turns out to be more of a hardware issue, then I guess we're all screwed.

Is the camera image on the LCD sufficient to make sure you're not running over the neighbor's kid? Yes, of course it is. Is it inferior compared to some of GM's own other vehicles? Absolutely! Whether you love you car or hate it, the fact is undeniable. Somebody got the bright idea to cut corners (costs) by using a mediocre back-up camera and hoped no one would notice. Unfortunately for GM, WE DID!

Dkmiller3356, please post the Service Bulletin no. once you get the update performed. I complained about this some time ago and was also told, "It is what it is".

Sube

Just got back from the dealer and they performed the update. Early returns are that it doesn't look any better but it is a rainy over cast day here in NY. I think I need to wait for some nicer weather but it doesn't appear promising.

As far as the service bulletin number goes when I call them back I will ask for it. I hadn't asked for that info.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

As far as the service bulletin number goes when I call them back I will ask for it. I hadn't asked for that info.
    Thanks!

This may just be a limitation of the camera lens itself. If that's the case, all the software changes in the world won't help.

Sube

racingf1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I asked the dealer w/r/t a blurred camera picture and they said that they would change out the back-up camera. They did this BUT, no improvement to picture quality. This is not meant to be a negative comment BUT, any GM cadillac dealer/manufacturer of a "high end" vehicle should be ashamed to continue to sell a back-up system with such a poor quality picture. My other car is the Jaguar and a Honda CRV. Both have a high quality back-up camera picture. ie VERY clear and wide angle. This is not a few complainers. It is real.

racingf1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Angry Re: Backup Camera Quality

Anyone know of an after market camera that would plug into current one. ie replace w/ another similar camera with better spec's and clear pic?

Hockeytown 1340 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 10 SRX Performance Crystal Red Tintcoat & 11 Avalanche LTZ

I think you guys may be missing the fact that the LCD Nav screen is the real culprit leading to our disappointment in the camera image you see! I've complained in earlier post's that the Nav screen seems washed out. Heck a $100.00 Garmin GPS screen has a much clearer image than my Nav screen. Therefore, you can re-place all the backup camera's you want but if our Nav screen is made of poor quality materials what's the point! I've seen built in Nav screen images in other vehicles and there almost of High Def quality. What say you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.