Backup Camera Quality - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Backup Camera Quality in Cadillac SRX Forums; This is not a "functionality" issue. It's a "quality" issue. The camera works fine. If you compare it to any ...
    sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Backup Camera Quality

This is not a "functionality" issue. It's a "quality" issue. The camera works fine. If you compare it to any other SRX it looks normal, because there's no barometer for optical quality. The poor quality only becomes apparent when compared to the back-up cameras of other makes/models. The image of the back-up camera on my wife's car is bright, clear, high contrast with bold colors. The difference is like night and day. If this is the first car you've owned with a back-up camera, you wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like. Compare your SRX to other vehicles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Sube

dkmiller3356 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20ll Luxery Ed. SRX, Black w/Shale Interior & Nav Package

You are correct, which is why I do not think that tweaking settings is the answer. I'm going to try to get a new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by dkmiller3356 View Post
    I'm going to try to get a new camera.
    Compare yours with another SRX on the lot. If it's the same (and it will be), they're not going to replace the camera, because they'll consider it within spec.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Compare yours with another SRX on the lot. If it's the same (and it will be), they're not going to replace the camera, because they'll consider it within specs.

Sube
    Looks like they're gonna have a bit of a fight on their hands then...

GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

I have to agree that the camera system leaves a lot to be desired. I use to run heavy duty equipment with backup cameras and damn they were good.

KevinOpp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Peformance Turbo

this is the first backup camera i've ever had so i cannot compare it. i've always been satisfied, but from what y'all are describing as compared to what is currently possible, it sounds like they certainly could do a better job. as a photographer, i can understand what it is you're describing in better quality cameras.

the thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck.

for a car that squirts washer fluid at the damn headlights once every 3rd window wash, and there is a water source to the rear of the car, why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera??? i can't STAND it when i'm pulling back out of a spot and the camera image is unusable. i love this SRX, but the pillars and blind spots on this car are pretty huge, and i use the heck out of my backup camera and mirrors.

i've never heartd anyone mention this before. am i the only one that is driven nuts about this? what to other cars (SUV's in particular, which get dirtier back ends) do? any of them squirt?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinOpp View Post
    the thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck.

why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera??? i can't STAND it when i'm pulling back out of a spot and the camera image is unusable.
    Yeah, it's typical. Not a bad idea you have.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinOpp View Post
    The thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck. For a car that squirts washer fluid at the damn headlights once every 3rd window wash, and there is a water source to the rear of the car, why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera???
    This sounds good in theory. However, after the wash you'd be left with water spots on the lens that would render the image just as bad as with a dirty lens. I just take a wet sponge, wring it out and then wipe the lens. Cleans the dirt and won't scratch the lens. As long as there's no rain, snow, slush or road salt, the lens tends to stay clean. Regular road dust doesn't seem to impede vision, at least not noticeably.

Sube

SRXCool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance AWD 3.0

Why couldn't they have designed the camera with an appropriate field of view and sensitivity settings to be mounted inside the car, looking out the back window, within the area cleaned by the wiper, perhaps on the uppermost portion of the window, in the molding around the inside rear window, ceiling area, looking out just under the center mounted rear stop lamp. Inside, it would be protected, and the rear window washing system would keep the view clear.

2010sled is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2010 PREMIUM AWD SRX

Go to your dealer and tell camera sucks

KevinOpp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Peformance Turbo

As long as there's no rain, snow, slush or road salt, the lens tends to stay clean.
    Sube
    ha! welcome to upstate NY for the past 6 months---where i live we have had snow on the ground continuously since October; not a moment of let up.

i do like the idea of putting the lens inside the rear window----that would solve quite a few problems. and start several more...........;-)

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Steve NEVER misses a chance to bash GM, and tout the foreign models.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

This is the first vehicle we have owned with a backup camera, but it seems to be very clear and have good color. Really like the wide angle that has been mentioned. My wife likes it so much that any time I mention another vehicle, she asked if it has a backup camera. Loks like the Avalanche now has one, so when I replace my Avalanche next year that will be one feature I look for. My present Avalanche has the backup sensors, but the camera is so much nicer, and works really well with teh parking sensors.

cam30era is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium FWD

This is not a "functionality" issue. It's a "quality" issue. The camera works fine. If you compare it to any other SRX it looks normal, because there's no barometer for optical quality. The poor quality only becomes apparent when compared to the back-up cameras of other makes/models. The image of the back-up camera on my wife's car is bright, clear, high contrast with bold colors. The difference is like night and day. If this is the first car you've owned with a back-up camera, you wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like. Compare your SRX to other vehicles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Sube
    I fully agree with Sube's assessment above. I love my SRX. But the backup camera is not competitive. I came from a '09 Lincoln MKS. Backup camera had better color, was far clearer (day and night) had better resolution and far less grainenous. But the SRX does win, hands down, on every other aspect.

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dkmiller3356 View Post
    I wonder why some of ud have good cameras and others do not. Is there a way to get in touch with GM about this?
    We may all have the same image, but some of us are disatisfied with it and others are ok with it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.