DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit. in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit.

I purchased the factory fog light kit from gmpartsdirect.com the part number is 19172867. The cost was $315.00 shipping was another $75.00 or so. Retail is $450.00. Activation of the fog lights to the car via GM tech link at the dealership was another $75.00 + tax. You will need to get the instructions printed from any GM dealer. It is document 2242151 “Front Fog Package Installation”.
    It took me about three hours including lunch. Remove the front bumper using the bumper removal DIY first. Next replace the light switch in the cabin. First remove the side cover just inside the driver’s door with a putty knife or screwdriver. Be careful not to scratch the surface. It is held on by three clips and two hooks . The clips are pretty stiff. Open the front and then slide the cover toward you and it will come out. Reach your left hand in the opening and press the clip on the far side of the light box at the same time press on the top clip and push the side and top gently out until it pops out. Remove the harness and put the new one back in. Carefully slide the side cover with the two hooks into the slots they belong in and push the cover towards the front of the car until the clips are in place and close the cover. Done, 5mins. Next remove the bumper cover using the DIY. Place the bumper so you can remove the clips holding the old blank covers in place and remove them. Put the blind nuts on the bumper and screw the fogs in place. The adjustment screws go toward the bottom and inside. Pop the new covers on the front of the bumper. Make sure the clips are fully clipped onto the tabs or they could fall off. Remove the three bolts holding the driver’s side headlight and remove the headlight.
    Now the hard part. Remove the battery cover. Four clips on the side of the cover and rotate the whole mass of wires and box cover over the front of the car. Remove the negative cable first. 10mm nut. Just loosen it and wiggle the clamp off and make sure it can’t make it’s way back to the post. Now remove the positive cable. Use the 13mm socket and do the same with the lead. Now squeeze the three clips on the fuse box next to the battery and remove the cover. Loosen the three 10mm bolts using a socket. Now you need to remove the fuse panel from the blocks below the fuses. There are six clips on the sides of the box. These are nearly impossible to get at once. I used three small screwdrivers on either side and pried up the center portion of the box with a large screwdriver then moved to the other side and did the same thing. If you have small pieces of aluminum or something to keep the tabs from closing that would help greatly. Not quite done. If you got lucky the fuse panel will come up and that’s it, if not you will have to pull on the cable bundle blocks and unscrew the bolts at the same time to get them to realese.
    There are three blocks that go with the three bolts. After they are off you will see what I mean. Here is the last part. You need to take the block closest to the windshield and roll it over and modify the wiring. First cut the green and white wire as close to the block as possible. It is in the second row #17 hole. Its hard to count but you will see it. Strip about ¼” off the end and crimp the wire into the harness that came in the kit. Now use a lighter and shrink the tubing as much as possible. Don’t burn the wires. Next is look for hole number 31. It is the third row second to last. Look closely for the number 32 printed on the side of the hole in the last position. Once it is located pick up the end on the harness that goes into the hole. Look at the positions of the other connectors and make sure the one on the harness goes in the same direction. Now remove the gray clip that slides out of the block. It holds all the wires on that side of the block so be careful. Now slip the wire into hole 31, make sure it is seated and slide the gray clip back into the block. Use a tyrap and secure the wires together. Place the block back into its place and place the fuse panel back over the three blocks and press carefully down. The six clips may snap into place or you may have to start to screw the three bolts back into place. Be careful here so you don’t bend anything. Mine snapped into place first. Screw the bolts down, put to cover on and put the positive cable on first. Then the negative. Put the battery cover back on and that’s done. Route the harness around the fuse box and find the place shown for relay. Put the plastic clip in the hole and close. The negative wire goes inside where the headlight was. The terminal is the same one used for the headlight harness. It’s a 10mm nut. Route the harness down to the bumper and inside the bumper along the headlight harness and attach with your tyraps. Leave the ends hang down by the end of the bumper. If you are adding HID lights to your fogs now is the time. Put the headlight back in and bolt down. If you do want to add the HID lights use the pictures that “rtsittner” used in his thread. Basically fix the HID igniter box on the frame rail and wire it up. Put the bumper cover next to the car attach all the wires and put the cover back on.
    Now go to the dealer and have them code your car. It should take them about 20 min. to do the coding which tech link does first on their side then they send the codes to your car via the internet and they then code your car. Now is a good time to have them update all the codes they can to the most recently released ones.
    This sounds hard but it really is not if you are mechanically inclined. I have a lot of pictures but I can’t put them on the site because I’m using all the possible pictures on the other threads I’m running. I will be more than happy to send pictures of the procedure to an email address. Just PM me.
    cheers
    ktlaw and ktlaw like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ickday1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS; 2011 SRX (Mocha)

Re: DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit.

Hmmmm. I think I'll just stay home when we have fog!

DarrinMI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I just had my oil changed and talked to my dealer about adding fog lights. They looked at me like I was crazy at first until I showed them the part number. They are suppose to get back to me about the cost of adding them to my SRX.

Let me know if you think you want to do this yourself. I would be happy to help you do the work. I'm probally only a half hour away.
    Barron

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Great job explaining the installation and the photos. I would LOVE to install this in my X. I just don't think I have the patience to do it and also risk ruining my pristine new car.

Great Job!

poor00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 srx

can yo email the pictures Iam half way done and stuck on the fuse block thanks Bobby

birolziggi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts hi feat,2011 srx lux,2011 cts performance

arent they like 520$ installed at the dealership

dkmiller3356 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 20ll Luxery Ed. SRX, Black w/Shale Interior & Nav Package

I'll make sure I put in the fog lights right after performing this afternoon's heart-lung-liver transplant! Geez... I could never do anything like that. Very impressive.

Hope you got all the additional information you needed. Pic's on my Album.

ktlaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Thank you VERY much for the install instructions, everything went perfectly just as you said. No problem what so ever,except..... there was no paperwork at all with the lights, I went to dealer to have them coded through tech link, the dealer ask me for the phone # for him to call to get the code? He said it came with the lights( again no paper work with lights),I don't have any of this information. He said he called tech link for code, they ask him for phone# ???? HELP.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Hey here's a question for you guys with the add on foglights... when you turn them on, do you get the normal "fog lights" light on the dash?
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Yes, because it is "THE" GM factory fog light accessary kit and GM Techlink does the coding. It's the same fogs you have only I did it myself. Now my car is a regesterd SRX with factory fog lights by the VIN number on the car. At the same time I did the fogs I did 55wt HID's and the lights are unbelieveable. The dealership guys thought they were really great.

Dear Ktlaw,
    Have them look at GM document 2242151 "Front Fog Light Package Installation" on their computer it has all the information they need #49 page 14. The telephone number is 1-800-828-6860. The document is in their SRX accessary catalog.
    It takes about 20 min. The dealership does nothing more than hook up the car. They don't do the coding. While your at it, have them upload all the current updates possible for your car. It's free while there coding. The fee should be $75.00. It's the normal GM fee.
    The car VIN number goes onto the data base as a car with factory fog lights.

srx2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury w/ Nav

Hey I just finished my fog lights and here is my scoop in case it helps.

I pretty much followed http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/4...ckage-add.html

First bwclemons, awesome write up, I referred back to it a few t times. Actually if I had read it more carefully I could of save myself a bit of time

1) I did not remove the bumper instead went through the wheel wells to pop off the covers and put in the fog lights. At little work getting the further screw on but not to bad. See #3
    2) The screws go from the back of the lights into the sliver nut/clips. That way if someone does happened to pop off the front covers they still can’t really get the screws out.
    3) I later found for me to do the wring I would need to remove the bottom so I did. I removed the rubber piece and then the bottom. Many many screws. Note: You do not need to remove the rubber piece. Just remove the bottom and all of its screws. Just remove the button to begin with and then install the lights.
    4) Remove the top covers in the engine and the rubber molding. It snaps in place so just move it one way or the other and it will come off.
    5) (disconnect battery see #6)For the switch I popped out the entire switch cover with light and chipped the end of the plastic light tube. You can’t tell and it works just fine but still. Try it the way they say, just remove the side panel (which by the way is SUPER hard to get out, those clips are made for a gorilla to remove) and pop the switch out.
    6) After you disconnect the negative and the positive from the battery (the wire which goes to the fuse box) and get the 3 screws loose and the 6 clips loose wiggle the entire thing up. I found I could not get it out… and finally after some head scratching found the 3 blots screw into the 3 wire holders/connectors. Hold the wire connector and unscrew the bolts even more and they entire thing will pull apart.
    7) Put the fuse top to the side.
    8) As bwclemons said the box closes to the windshield, the one the positive wire you took off goes to… that is the one, pic 17, white and green wire.
    9) I did not use the crimp attachment it came with but instead just soldered the wires together and used 2 pieces of heat shrink tubing.
    10) I had a heck of a time getting the pin from the wire set into hole 31… it just took forever. Make sure you put it in the same line as the rest of the pins.
    11) Zip tie wires.
    12) Sucks I can’t try them out until I get the programming… but the switch looks cool

Good job.
    At least you can say you have factory fogs.
    How long did it take you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.