DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Totally agree, the extra visit could have been avoided. At least they got it working from the other 2 dealers ...
    srx2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury w/ Nav

Re: DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit.

Totally agree, the extra visit could have been avoided. At least they got it working from the other 2 dealers which told me it could not be done. I'm happy.

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Check out this thread also for more information and pictures http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2012-srx.html

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

From what I can read on this site the effectiveness of the fog lights seems to be in question. Has anyone tested them against after market HID low beams and the OEM low beams with fogs? For the effort and expense it would have to make a big difference for me to put them in. From what I have read it is almost as much work to do the HID conversion as it is to do the fogs.

My opinion is; fogs help cover the area directly in front of the car and to both sides. Close in to the car, as you go further out towards where the lows are aimed, they don't do that much. It's best to add aftermarket HID's to both the fogs and the low beams to get the best out of the lighting system.

inspectorudy is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): SRX

Which HID did you install and can you show the process? BTW thank you for your info.

I used 55wt HID slim line kits by DDM tuning, look under HID kits on the site. The color was 4500k. The bulb type is H10. The rest of the information is in the links below along with pictures in photobucket. Some of the pictures don't apply but there are a lot of pictures reguarding both the installation of HID's in the headlights and for adding HID's to the fogs. If you have fogs already installed you can access the fog housings by taking off the wheel well liners and reaching in. Adding HID's to the fogs is plug and play. All you have to do is mount the ballasts with double faced tape or zip ties some place. I used the bumper support rails to mount mine.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ry-models.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ss-lights.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...accessory.html
    http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by bwclemons View Post
    Check out this thread also for more information and pictures http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2012-srx.html
    Thank you bwclemons!
    I referred to your instructions and pictures and had a successful and problem free install of the fog light kit to my wife's 2012 SRX. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Glad it worked out for you. Good job.

rosco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 srx

Did you have to use the wire harness that came with the kit?I have the luxury model awd.The chevy dealer closes to me told me the wire harness is existing on the luxury model,but from what i have read on cadillac forums it is not.I purchased the light and the bezels,but i do not have that wiring harness.Can you tell me if i need it and where i can get it?Appreciate any help.

Thank-you

beachcad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rosco View Post
    Did you have to use the wire harness that came with the kit?I have the luxury model awd.The chevy dealer closes to me told me the wire harness is existing on the luxury model,but from what i have read on cadillac forums it is not.I purchased the light and the bezels,but i do not have that wiring harness.Can you tell me if i need it and where i can get it?Appreciate any help.

Thank-you
    I purchased and installed the accessory fog light kit on my wife's 2012 luxury model. The wiring harness that came with the kit was most definitely needed and the biggest part of the installation. I suspect a dealer will be your only choice for getting the harness. If you bought a kit, it should have been included. You will need the replacement dash switch also, that has the button control for the fogs.

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

Hi,
    I have purchased the fog light kit from GM Accessory Outlet in New Orleans ($329.95 no tax & free FEDEX shipping to Los Angeles) I have just finished reading this thread and fear that this installation is far above may know-how so I asked the local Cadillac dealer for an installation price, he also said they had never done this instsallation before so I'm not so sure he is the right guy as he charges $123 per hour.
    Does anyone know of a confident Auto Shop in the Los Angeles area who could undertake this installation on my 2010 SRX Luxury? I also wish to install 55w HID bulbs in the Fogs, and hi/lo beams, I read in this thread where these have been added to the Fogs and Low Beams, is there a problem installing them in the high beams?? Also will adding the HID conversion prior to getting the car "coded" at the dealer prove a problem when I do go to the dealer for codeing?
    Very thankful for any advice.

Jusy had a call from the local Cadillac dealer about the estimate to install the GM Fog Light Kit and they said they would not do it!! Suggested I took it to a stereo shop down the street..........not impressed at all.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

55W in your fog lights is overkill. It is too much light with the wrong type of beam (open casing). You will just blind the h*ll out of other drivers and piss them off.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    55W in your fog lights is overkill. It is too much light with the wrong type of beam (open casing). You will just blind the h*ll out of other drivers and piss them off.
    Thanks for the advice, going to install 35w fog and low beams.

Quote Originally Posted by westham
    Hi,
    I have purchased the fog light kit from GM Accessory Outlet in New Orleans ($329.95 no tax & free FEDEX shipping to Los Angeles) I have just finished reading this thread and fear that this installation is far above may know-how so I asked the local Cadillac dealer for an installation price, he also said they had never done this instsallation before so I'm not so sure he is the right guy as he charges $123 per hour.
    Does anyone know of a confident Auto Shop in the Los Angeles area who could undertake this installation on my 2010 SRX Luxury? I also wish to install 55w HID bulbs in the Fogs, and hi/lo beams, I read in this thread where these have been added to the Fogs and Low Beams, is there a problem installing them in the high beams?? Also will adding the HID conversion prior to getting the car "coded" at the dealer prove a problem when I do go to the dealer for codeing?
    Very thankful for any advice.

Jusy had a call from the local Cadillac dealer about the estimate to install the GM Fog Light Kit and they said they would not do it!! Suggested I took it to a stereo shop down the street..........not impressed at all.
    Just to continue this, I had the fogs installed with a hid conversion with both the fogs and the running lights\low beams, the hid running lights/low beams work well, I now had to go to the dealer and have the fogs calibrated/programmed with the tec on the phone getting instructions from Gm, the dealer had no idea what I was talking about so I faxed him the installation instructions I had printed from this forum (thanks to the poster) eventually the dealer said they had never done this but would give it a go.
    Apparently They needed a code which should have come with the GM light kit, as no code had been in the kit the tec used the code from a set they had in stock, all was well or so we thought, the switch worked as the tell tale was on with the dash along with the daytime running lights as the car was running, however the fogs did not light, the tec showed me his computer which indicated everything his side was good and he figures the problem was with the wiring, I paid the dealership $123.00 (the hourly rate)
    I contacted the installer who put the fogs in and he said he very much doubted it was the problem but he would take a look, when I left the dealership I noticed my regular daytime running light dash telltale (the lights are always on auto) did not light as normal but it did light along with the fog dash telltale when the fog switch button was pressed. Has anyone got any ideas before I get caught in between the installer and the dealer blaming each other and I never see these fogs work? I just have a gut feeling that it is the dealership that has the problem as they originally said they did not want to install the kit and then had no knowledge of programming the fogs and have never done it before.
    All advice greatly accepted.

dbair07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac SRX

I had the dealership install them for $700 installed. Let the dealership do it. It retains your warranty. If you want to take the risk and do it yourself the chances of something going wrong are high. Pay a little extra to have the piece of mind.

Once installed everything looks factory. The button, light on the dash etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.