DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit. in Cadillac SRX Forums; I also installed my own factory fog lights. I then took it to the dealer to have the programming done. ...
    classiccars is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury AWD

Re: DIY for adding the factory fog light accessory kit.

I also installed my own factory fog lights. I then took it to the dealer to have the programming done. (I worked that programming deal into "new car" purchase price. Arm twisting.) So, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have them programmed. $112.00?

I have a question for both of you along with the others that had this fog light programming done. Does the "Fog Light" indicator light work on your instrument panel? According to the manual, there is a separate light the shows the fog lights. With my vehicle, the fog light indicator never comes on. When I push the center button to turn on the fog lights, the "Park Light" indicator then comes on. That's fine for the day time. But at night when the auto lights turn on along with Park Light indicator, I'm not sure if my fog lights are on or off. There is no change with any of the dash indicator lights when I turn the fog light on and off.

I think they didn't program my instrument panel computer correctly. Being it was at "No Charge", I'm not sure if I should get the vehicle back to them so they can have another look at it. (This was the first time the dealer had to program fog lights. No one knew what and how to do it.)

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Yes, you should have a green light something like the normal running light indicator. The green fog indicator should always be on when the fogs are on. This is whether you are in auto mode or not, or even when your are using your DRL's. When you turn on your high beams the fog light indicator should go out then back on again when when the high's are off. Check visually if the fogs go out when auto light is on. They should stay on and the both the normal and fog green lights should be on. If what you say is true, the programing may be at fault or your wiring into the fuse box may be wrong.

srx2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury w/ Nav

HERE IS THE SCOOP (some scoop) FOR 2012 AND FOG LIGHT PACKAGE.

I took it to a dealer (here in town) and after 40 min told me GM told them there is no code for the 2012 and it cannot be done. I called another dealer... they told me the same. I called GM customer service and after about 45 min on the phone the guy told me it CANNOT be done for the 2012.

I spoke to the dealer I bought the car from (much further away) and they said YES it can be done.

A bulletin was put out on Oct. 10, 2011 regarding this issue (he faxed it to me) saying that a program was now available for the 2012 and to restart selling the accessory kit. When I spoke to GM customer service and told them about the bulletin they could not find it.

WELL I JUST GOT MY CAR and my FOG LIGHTS WORK with the button! I can't say they are super bright and not sure they were worth the money and time but still they looks really cool. It cost me $129 to get them programmed and most of the day driving back and forth.

HOWEVER--- I also do not have a light in the console that turns on... at least at night. I will check tomorrow in daytime. The service guy is going to check for me tomorrow to see if there is a light which is to come on for the 2012.

bwclemons; it took me about 4-5 hours total... 10-15 extra mins because I took the rubber bottom off which you don't need to. 10-15 extra min because I could not get the fuse block apart (you have to make sure all 3 screws in the fuse box are FULLY out), and 10 extra min trying to get the pin into square 31... it just would not go in. I did not use the crimp thingy for the wire (wire 17) but instead soldered it together and used 2 pieces of quality heat shrink tubing.

Will let ya know what I find out tomorrow.

xchief is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2012

I have a 2012 Lux , had dealer add fog kit as part of sale, they do have the green indicator on dash that
    comes on any time the fogs are on . Fogs go off when high beam is on. So yes there should be an indicator
    in the dash with fog kit install program even on the 2012s.

I was wondering if there was a way for my dealer to program the fogs to come on whenever the auto headlights
    come on (almost like a maintained switch) , Right now when headlights first come on , I have to push the button to also
    turn the fogs on. No big deal but it would be nice not to have to remember to turn them on.

srx2012, I'm interested to hear what you find out about the green indicator "Fog Light" on the dash from your dealer. (I have the same problem.)
    Your story is about the same as mine. I originally had an appointment with my dealer to program the lights. They called and said that they were waiting for the upgraded software from GM and had to postpone the service. A week later they called and I got the vehicle into them. Three hours later, they had the lights working, but the "Fog Light" indicator on the dash.

This light problem sound a bit fishy to me. XChief, was yours a real early 2012? To me, it sounds like a coding problem. I hope they get it figured out. I don't beleive there is a way to code your car to have the fogs come on in auto mode. The fogs are supposed to be independent to the other lights. I'm wondering if there is a new installation manual and they changed something in the fuse block wiring.

My installation is working fine, car is 2 weeks old 2012 luxury. dash light works fine.
    Green light on dash lights whenever fogs are on, along with other dash light which shows
    low beams are on.

I just wish the fogs came on with auto headlights, I have to put fogs back on whenever you shut
    car off and then restart. No big deal though...

I sure hope they did not change the wire pinout... I would be surprised if they did. Nothing else seems to have changed for the 2012 and fog lights. If so it is gonna be more expensive to take it back and have it re-coded.... I will see if my service dealer will look up the install for the 2012 and see if they did change the pinout. I willkeep you posted on the results from the dealer and relay that others do in fact have the little light turn on in dash. Will see.... more to come.od

I to would like the option, xcheif, of "auto fog lights" but for now I just want the little green light to turn on

Ok I figured this much out. Dealer still looking, but he did read me something that says a light is to come on.

The green light (to the left of the fuel gauge, the one with 2 circles and 3 little lines coming off of them, the low beam one) does come on.

Switch in automatic OFF. If I press the fog button I get the "green light" and fogs and white and yellow LEDs light plus DRL if in drive.
    Switch in automatic ON. Same as above.

Switch in third position: The green light is on regardless if the fogs are on... so here you cannot tell if the fogs are on or off.

Switch in last position: Same as above.

However.... when it is night like last night when I got the car it is all different.
    Night time when the car automatically turns headlights to full power the green lights is on... so again here you can't tell if fogs are on or off.

If this is correct it's dumb. You can tell when the DRL are on but when the main lights are on you don't have any feedback.

??? Are there spose to be 2 different lights, one for main lights, one for fog, like there are for main and high beam?
    or do fogs and main share the same green light?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srx2012 View Post
    Ok just noted the green "low beam " light does come on with the fog light button. In the guide I don't see a stand alone fog light. But if I am in auto mode I can't tell if they are on as the green "eyes" are both for main lights and fog Then. Check yours and see if it is the same. Can you confirm exactly which light comes on with fogs? Is it two lights... One for low beam, another for fogs.
    My dash indicator lights are the same way, that is why I was asking the question. It is my understanding that there is a separate fog light indicator light on the dash. My 2012 manual show it being next to the High Beam light on the cluster.

Also, when all the cluster lights come on when I start the car, I don't see the fog light and/or the high beam indicator light, light up. That may be normal.

I spoke to the dealer today... and he said that they can/should be able to make the "right" light work. I just gotta bring it back in and hope it is not a day event I also noted the fog light, " indicator lights" under the high beam light. Those are huge indicators on the dash lol. What I would like to have seen is a line that came on under the low beam light to indicate fogs are on... simple and to the point and "under" the main lights as they are

When I also start the car (even before fogs) the high beam and fogs light never light up... in fact it took me a bit of time and right lighting to see those dash indicators. Will keep you posted... hope to go in next week.

Thanks for tracking this problem down for me and the rest of the members that may have the same problem. If your dealer was able to get the correct fog light indicator working, please try to find out exactly what they had to do. If they had to reprogram the dash computer module, see what version of firmware/software they used. They could also just use a different procedure in programming/calibrate the module(s).
    Any information you can gather will help me with my dealer when I take my vehicle back in.
    Thanks

My dealer just did this last week and all is working fine , correct dash light on with fogs etc....
    Dealership name is Royal Cadillac here in NJ - 973-538-5650
    Service advisor was Rodger and I believe the tech was Mike.
    Maybe your service advisor can call them to answer any questions.
    Hope that helps

Hey guys,

Just got back from the dealer and the fog light works. He (tech) told me that the one computer was not communicating with the other to tell it to turn on..... took about 20 min to get it linked together.

The fog light just under the high beam light (to the left as there seem to be 2 fog lights there) turns green when I turn them on. I also have the low beam light still turn on as (I assume) that is because the parking lights are also on.

All seems to work!

That's great. To bad it took two tries to get it right. The tech's need to take a little more time to make sure everything works before they release cars to customers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.