Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models in Cadillac SRX Forums; ...
    bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models

Adding aftermarket HID lights to our halogen light fixtures is not all that difficult. It will require you to drill a large hole into the light box. If you don’t feel this is for you, don’t proceed. I use DDMtuning.com or VVME.com for purchasing the lights. I am using 55wt HID’s with H10 bulbs. You may want to use 35wt. which is the standard voltage for HID’s, either will work. You will also need to purchase error code eliminators. So, either 35wt or 55wt. next is the bulb. H10 is the bulb in our cars for low beam and fog lights. Next is color of the bulb. Ranges very slightly. True HID’s use the color of 4300k to 4500k. the higher “k” value the bluer the bulb. I personally would not go higher than 5000k. Kids love to go higher. I am using 4500K from DDM tuning. VVME uses 4300k. I have both. Error code eliminators are capacitors. They are for smoothing out voltages in our systems. Daytime running lights run on 12.1vts using a pulsing signal to reduce the normal 13.6 vts. that our cars run on. This pulsing is the only reason we need the code eliminators. Everything can be purchased at one time at either store. So, the total including shipping should be around $85.00 or so. VVME has pretty good instructions and also include mounting brackets. DDM tuning doesn’t include instructions or anything extra. The wiring is fairly self- explanatory but you may want instructions. You may call or PM me or use the web and look on “you tube”. Any good company will work for buying the kits.
    First remove the front bumper cover as in the bumper cover DIY. Next remove the headlights. Be careful to not break the small tit on the top back tab of the light. Push the lens toward the back of the car and carefully pull up on the tab. Find a suitable place to drill your hole. I used a flat spot just below the large access cover for the low beam. Use a hole saw, not a blade bit or something else. The hole will need to be measured to fit the rubber seal that comes with the lights. IT will probably be close to 1”. Drill the hole and vacuum out the housing. Make sure you leave all the bulbs in place and watch out for the wiring inside the housing. Fit the bulb into the housing first. Don’t touch the bulb portion with your hand. Next fit the rubber grommet into the hole you just made. You may find it easier to remove the two wires with the bayonet ends on first to make it easier. Then reinsert the ends. Those ends go into the connector that the old bulb used. Make sure the bayonet ends cannot touch when you are done. Also make sure there is a snug connection. Black is negative and the blue wire is positive. Black to black and blue to red. Find a place for the ballasts and eliminators. I used the inside of the housing. The side of the housing facing towards the engine. The ballasts mounted about ½” below the top forward tab and as far forward as I could. I placed the eliminator next to the ballast and even with the plug for the headlight. I used double faced tape for mounting after lightly sanding the housing. Use tape to locate the ballasts and eliminators and trial fit the lights before you use the double faced tape if you are going that direction.
    Put the headlights in the car and start up the car. Leave the lights in “AUTO”. If you are in a garage the low beam headlights should come on, move the car outside and the DRL’s will come on. If you need to check the car by yourself leave the car in drive and set the parking brake, carefully open the door and quickly check the lights and return. If everything is working put the bumper cover on and your done.
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tc2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUXURY

Re: Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models

You da man......Hope there are before/after light shots

Sorry, I can't add any more photos because I have used all the alotted mb of data that I'm allowed with pictures in other threads. I will tell you that they are ten times better than the old lights. This DIY is the best thing you can do for the car. I would go 55watt on the bulbs. forget the 35's.

tc2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUXURY

Am interested in a periodic update on the performance of the HID system....How are the plastic housings holding up? (Have seen comments from Rippy on possible deterioration) Also my service writer express this concern (and of course warranty issues) on the $950.00 headlight assembly....How good are the entry seals for water tightness? (Have experienced this problem on other types of systems) If you would just rather PM the info, that's fine.
    Thanks,
    Tom

The seals are the exact seals that are used with the halagen bulbs. The housings that the bulb sits in has lots of room to disipate the heat that the bulb creates. I have had the light housings out at least three times and they look fine. In fact, I have held the whole light assembly in my hand and had the lights on and you can not feel the extra heat at all. Meaning any more than a standard halagen bulb. These issues that are coming up are just fear tatics. I have had a set of factory HID lights in my hand and they are really not much different than the Haligen frames except for some minor changes for the HID boxes and some other minor changes that include the leveling motor. The seals from the aftermarket entry hole is only as good as the type of hole you put in the frames. You could seal those seals with silicon sealent as well if you wanted. I have no lens fogging issues at all with my lights.
    Any time you modify a light housing it will not be covered by a warranty. I modified my car with about 4000mi on my car and now have close to 13000mi on it and everything is perfect. Lastly, the performance is fantastic. It is like night and day.
    With the 55wt system in my car it is so good I don't know why people are not doing it. I have done the factory fog light kit on my car as well and have installed the 55wt lights in them and the combination is unbeleiveable. I have never had anyone flash me or commented that my lights are in their face. I had my wife come at me with another car, a very low sports car, and she said their was no problem with glaring. I also followed her in the SUV and there was no problem. The cut off line is exactly the same as the factory SRX HID light. We have a neighbor that has the premium model and together they look the same only mine is brighter.

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

You are so encouraging I may put them in my Yukon. $ 59K and NO HID's.............................

Love 'em in my SRX

SS

The HID installition is really very easy, it just takes a little time. The results are phenomenal.

Audioi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 AWD 2.0 Premium

My dealer installed 55 watters along with a relay but they are strobing while the car is in gear during the day, headlamps in Auto. Any ideas?

Yes.
    BWCLEMONS, the first poster, mentions the capacitors needed. The Luxury model uses the standard headlites at reduced/pulsed voltage, for it's DRLs, and the HID don't like it. So installing the capacitors "smooths" the current and alleviates the problem. Some folks on other forums have just removed the Daytime Running Light fuses and greatly increased the lifespan of their bulbs. The Performance & Premium models have a separate bulb for the DRL's.

Be advised, if you can remove fuses on the Luxury SRX, you will then have NO DRL's at all. Not the best safety situation. The US Post Office found a 40% decrease in accidents on their small vehicles, by adding daytime lights of various kinds. Motorcycles must have them in NY and a decrease in accidents was seen!

SS

Just talked to the dealer (great guys by the way) and they did install the caps yesterday so he is going to research more...

They must be the correct "farad" (capacitance) rating. I heard 3PF ?? They ARE polarized also! ( won't just attach any direction) Maybe DMM (first post) could advise spec??
    Good luck!
    SS

Think they have decided to use another bulb for the DRL and leave the Zenons out of that loop.
    Its going back tomorrow so we shall see...

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bwclemons View Post
    Sorry, I can't add any more photos because I have used all the allotted mb of data that I'm allowed with pictures in other threads...
    Go to one of the many photo hosting websites like Photobucket.com and you can upload tons of photos for free. Then all you have to do is copy the URL address and paste it in your post like the images below ... no need to worry about storage size limits anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioi View Post
    Think they have decided to use another bulb for the DRL and leave the Zenons out of that loop.
    Its going back tomorrow so we shall see...

That would make it like the Factory HID system. Good move!

SS
    avitiello likes this.

They installed a relay to run the HID's straight from the battery in full on during the DRL. and I said what about lamp life so they gave me a 4 year unl. mileage warranty on them.
    They know I will trade it by that time...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.