Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models in Cadillac SRX Forums; yes I connected it direct to Ballast on each side. I spoke with them last night and they are sending ...
    sirtronics is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Aftermarket HID lights for Base and Luxury models

yes I connected it direct to Ballast on each side.
    I spoke with them last night and they are sending me some "kit" with code eliminators and relay build in.
    Also they said the slim Ballast will stop the lights from flichering.

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Make sure the eliminaters are installed before the ballasts, not after the ballasts. If you do, the eliminators will fail. You don't need the relays though. Relays don't do anything on our cars. Relays are for systems that can't handle excessive power or use a low constant voltage for the DRL's. Our cars power and wiring system is adequate for HID lights. The only reason we need anything else on our cars is because the engineers are using a pulse signal to reduce the voltage for the Day Time Running Lights. When the DRL's are not in use the lights use constant bus voltage (14.5vts) when the alternator is running or 12.3vts when the car is using the battery alone and not the pulse voltage. That is why when you turned the lights on the lights worked perfectly and when you started the car the DRL's came on and the lights did not work and the relay clicked. It was all because of the pulsing voltage of the DRL's. I have the slim ballsats also.

sirtronics is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by bwclemons View Post
    Make sure the eliminaters are installed before the ballasts, not after the ballasts. If you do, the eliminators will fail.

if I only instal the lights and ballast there is only 1 way to put them togeather, so I am not sure I understand.

You don't need the relays though. Relays don't do anything on our cars. Relays are for systems that can't handle excessive power or use a low constant voltage for the DRL's. Our cars power and wiring system is adequate for HID lights. The only reason we need anything else on our cars is because the engineers are using a pulse signal to reduce the voltage for the Day Time Running Lights. When the DRL's are not in use the lights use constant bus voltage (14.5vts) when the alternator is running or 12.3vts when the car is using the battery alone and not the pulse voltage. That is why when you turned the lights on the lights worked perfectly and when you started the car the DRL's came on and the lights did not work and the relay clicked.

I dont understand. if I connect just the Balast and the lights the lights don't power on, ever. (weather car is on or off)
    with the relay connected the lights come on. then I have that flicker and relay clicks

It was all because of the pulsing voltage of the DRL's. I have the slim ballsats also.
    I am so confused????

Send me an email at: barron_clemons@hotmail.com
    I will give you my phone number and we can talk.

I think you may have something installed wrong. I don't mind if you call and I'm sure we can get through this. It's too bad the error code eliminators blew up. We will need these to complete the install though.

rockstar143 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

On a 2012 Luxury SRX, the DRL's are just the little LEDS on the sides of the housing, right? OR am I missing something? My wife just got one and the low beams bulbs don't seem like they're the ones that kick on at 75% like a traditional DRL. If so, can I avoid having to even worry about adding the resistor (error code eliminator)?

Really thinking about whether I want to go on the headache of installing from under hood, or removing entire bumper and headlight assembly. Gotta love a car manufacturer trying to make things more difficult to work on to give the illusion of being higher end.

I have a 2011. First check if the low beams are on when the car is on and in drive during daylight. Have someone help you. The DRL's only come on when the car is in drive. If the lows do not come on and only the side led's then you really don't need the resisters but I would use them anyway. Next you can stuff all of the HID and resisters into the back of the housing and close the large access cover so there is no need to cut a hole into anything. Try to do the install without taking off the front first. If you can't manage it then go the other route. Good luck and keep us posted.

phunter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX Luxury

Nope. On my 2012 Luxury, the daytime running lights are provided by the low beam headlights and they are on at a lower power as mentioned. The small LED lights are also on.

Phil

Darn it, didn't know about the fact that they'd be on when in drive. Ok, so a resistor, which I have leftover can be added. They get HOT though, might be tough to leave them in the housing although I'd MUCH rather not have to cut the hole in her brand new SRX . I'll likely take the advice and just remove the bumper and not be hard headed, thanks for the advice everyone.

J.

Ok, I so made my own set of pictures to post after my attempt to do this today. I have to say THANK YOU for the great write up from the OP...really helped. Only difference for me is I just dropped the top of the bumper down and left it connected to the undercarriage covers, it was plenty of room to get at the 3 remaining headlight bolts.

I got the HID's to fire, but since the DDMTuning kit I am transferring from her accord is wired backward, when I shoved all wiring into the headlight housing, it kept getting disconnected. I can remedy that but wanted to test if they'd flicker (it's the digital thin ballast) and alas, they did. I really would love to find out what this code eliminator is so that I can order one that I'm guaranteed will work on this car.

Please do post up exactly what part needs to be ordered, from where, and where to install it. I would be very grateful!

I chose to start at the top

I got to use my trim removal tools, didn't even break one clip

The 10MM bolts on top

4 screws on side

then you can access the 7MM bolt holding bumper to fender

3 10MM sockets under

and this is as far as I needed to drop the bumper, pull directly OUT away from car, starting on edges where the 7MM bolt was, then work your way to center, then the upper center, lift toward car and up to unlatch those two "" as I saw them called

undo this

then you can remove all

using small flathead, use your lap/leg to hold up light while you tug on plug and unclip the plug

While light was off, figured it was a good time to install the chrome dipped bulbs I bought her, this eliminates the orange hue in the headlight when the not signalling, easy cheap mod that looks cook IMO.

NEW

OLD

and when you signal

Since mission failed with the HID's until I figure out the DRL situation, I didn't snap pictures of that.
    Happy Modding!

IMG_0354 by swimex37, on Flickr

I see you are getting the capacitor thing done on the other thread. Good luck, and keep us informed.

I figured that since the response and search for HOW TO was so scarce, I'd post the DIY in both threads, hope you fellas don't mind. I live on acurazine so I'm used to the traffic, helpfulness and pictures of DIY's from there. I'm hoping some pictures and explanations help someone that might be timid to attempt.

So, the ebay chrome dipped bulbs are defective...figured that out after the 2nd time lowering the bumper. SO...that said, this last go I tried something...and was successful. I did NOT touch anything under the car, left all 3 bolts fully in and tightened and still had enough slack with top and side bolts/screws removed to drop the bumper down enough to get at all 3 other bolts per headlight. In swapping back to the factor amber turn signal bulbs I literally dropped, replaced bulb and put everything back together in 20 mintues.

Here you go:
    To get rid of flicker on HID's when using them in your low beam DRL on your 2010 to 2012 Cadillac SRX (and then some).

DDM Tuning kit, has a second set of wires with female/male plugs used for a harness, which the SRX doesn't need. We have voltage enough to power a small village in Nigeria

First, go to Radio shack and buy a pair of (sold indiv.) 4700 ua 35V capacitors

Cut the sacrifice unused wiring for use and pull through rubber grommet. Chose to keep the rubber grommet in once piece in case i needed to run the HID kit outside the housing assembly (in this case I didn't, everything tucked into headlight so no OEM splicing or drilling).

Cut back and strip the wires

add some heatshrink...can't tell you how many times I realize this after i've already soldered and it's too late

twist everything together, capacitor should have arrows pointing at the ground/black wire

wired up

soldered

heatshrink heated

electrical tape added to ensure nothing makes contact with anything inside the housing

and bam...no way around it, looks about a billion times better. Wife wasn't happy about her new car being disassembled numerous times but thanked me profusely (:mizouse after seeing what all the hard work and research was for.

AFTER:

I hope this helps someone out. Wife's happy!

Forgot to post up that I finally did get the correct glass based bulb to be installed as the turn signal bulb. All went well, save for dropping the amber bulb somewhere into the engine abyss and I wasted an hour looking for it to no avail. Oh well...

IMG_0372 by swimex37, on Flickr

IMG_0371 by swimex37, on Flickr

TerryNY2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX

I surprised no one has caught this. The SRX low beam is an H11 bulb and not an H10 as said in the begining of this how to post. I know because I have my car all apart, hole drilled in the bucket ready to install the H10 kit I ordered and the bulbs are wrong. Won't fit, wrong base. The factory bulb in the car is marked H11. I get to put it back together, reorder the right bulbs and do this again... I would think it is a good idea to correct the first part of this thread, so other won't try this only to find out thet have the wrong bulbs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.