Low beam lights are pitiful
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Low beam lights are pitiful in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hello Guys and Gals, Last years car shopping tour ended when my bride declared, "This is the one!" After all, ...
    tc2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUXURY

Low beam lights are pitiful

Hello Guys and Gals,
    Last years car shopping tour ended when my bride declared, "This is the one!"
    After all, it was her car. We are pleased with most every aspect of the vehicle, except the low beam headlights. Should have driven it at night as I thought they were HIDs. Oh yeah, it's a 2010 luxury edition.

So I've searched the forum on HID replacement and had no luck. Has anyone done this as there are a number of adds (actually they are everywhere) on the forum......Or, are there other options (HIR)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Re: Low beam lights are pitiful

oops

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Replace the stock lowbeam (9005? or 7?) with HID bulbs. It is already a projector housing, so you needent worry about pissing off other drivers.

Or, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, and adjust the lowbeams up a little higher!
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

farinacci is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD Lux Collection

Im curious too!

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

yep. As long as you are using a projector housing you can just throw in a generic hid setup in there and the cutoff will still be proper

tc2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX LUXURY

HUMBLE PIE....Superior deductive reasoning was applied this afternoon on discovering one of the lights was not burning...I was able to conclude this could have an effect on the poor lighting situation.. So at 4PM, with dealership closing, it was off to the parts house. Might as well go Silverstar. No luck, light still out!.....No known fuse (even though the book says there is one). So, 'ol one eye will see the dealer Monday.....

Tom

bobarry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Red SRX Performance

Quote Originally Posted by tc2010 View Post
    HUMBLE PIE....Superior deductive reasoning was applied this afternoon on discovering one of the lights was not burning...I was able to conclude this could have an effect on the poor lighting situation.. So at 4PM, with dealership closing, it was off to the parts house. Might as well go Silverstar. No luck, light still out!.....No known fuse (even though the book says there is one). So, 'ol one eye will see the dealer Monday.....

Question on the HIDs: On this system the H11 bulb receives low voltage when on DRL and higher when on as low beam.......Could an HID system operate under these parameters?

Tom
    I thought the HIDs required an additional ballast transformer to provide a higher voltage? I see them on eBay for about $160 and was thinking of getting some for my Saturn Sky.

Hopefully the experts will answer this for me. In the meantime, I simply scoot down in the seat so I can see better below the beam cutoff line.

Bo

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by tc2010 View Post
    Question on the HIDs: On this system the H11 bulb receives low voltage when on DRL and higher when on as low beam.......Could an HID system operate under these parameters?

Tom
    If i'm correct, the "base" lights use the high beam H11's as DRL's, and then turn on the lowbeams for "full" headlights? So if that is correct, you could put HIDs in the lowbeams with no side effects...
    At least on my friends' Lux model, that's how her lights worked...
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

bwclemons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Luxury

Ok,
    I've been working on this for sometime now. I tried some 55wt. HID's from VVME and the lights will flicker and then stop. I then removed the 55wt balasts with a set of 35wt. balasts from another car they worked ok. However, sometimes one of the lights would not ignite. The lights will definitely not work when the DRL's come on so you will have to manually turn on the lights when you want them. That means no auto feature. I have just purchased the fog light accessary kit from GM and will be putting them on next week or so. I have purchased some Fault code eliminaters( capacitors)
    for the HID's and this will smooth out the pulsing dc volts that seem to be coming from the car so the lights will work properly. There may be enough capacitance to run the DRL's also. We will see. I do know that the DRL's run on just about 12 vts. but it has a pulse to it. Every light related thing runs thru the body control module and has to be programed thru techlink. When I get it all sorted out I will post everything in an DIY for everyone as well as how to do the fog light kit. I do want to thank GMjim for all his help to get me info on how to remove the front bumper and all the questions I have asked him related to the lights. I know engineers will not give out information to people who want to modify their products. Some info I had find out thru wiring diagrams from my dealer.
    As this car is my wife's also, I can't be around for all problems with the lights so I can't leave the HID's in until they work perfectly.

drjdan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX Premium

Since the car is under warranty, why don't you just go to the dealer and get it fixed.

Cooper10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I made driving at night enjoyable again with these simple additions on my SRX
    Luxury Collection.

Sylvania SilverStar H11 for the low beams

Blazer 4 inch rectangular driving lights with H3 halogen bulbs that I purchased at Walmart for $19- This was a very simple installation. See attached photo

On a dark interstate the road lights up very bright.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.