Front license plate gone, holes remain?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Front license plate gone, holes remain? in Cadillac SRX Forums; I removed the front plate and bracket but now have the four holes in the bumper to deal with. Has ...
    Z06CADY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Front license plate gone, holes remain?

I removed the front plate and bracket but now have the four holes in the bumper to deal with. Has anyone successfully filled the holes or plugged them and with what? The dealer is no help at all.

Thanks,

Chris

DSCF0002.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Re: Front license plate gone, holes remain?

Thanks Jim!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Did your car originally come from a state which required a front license plate? Please don't tell me it had some dealer advertisement plate on it. I hate when they ruin your bumper without permission to promote free advertisement for their dealership.

Sube

TRMN8R1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX LUX Radiant Silver Metallic 3.0AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Did your car originally come from a state which required a front license plate? Please don't tell me it had some dealer advertisement plate on it. I hate when they ruin your bumper without permission to promote free advertisement for their dealership.

Sube
    Yeah, usually that's the first thing I do is to remove ALL dealer badges! They should pay US for the advertising (sorry for the hi-jack)

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post

Sube
    Yep, CA.
    The dealer says they will not deliver a car without the bracket in place. So I took it off.

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

Are you going to get the bumper plugs? Kinda pricey, but a good fix. Better than holes.
    If you do, post a follow up. I am curious how they fit, and look.

Thanks, Jim

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I contacted them for bumper plugs, and was going to try them till I took the front bracket off. There are four holes there and I thought it would look weird with four plugs in such a small area. They did have the plugs in stock in almost all colors. Pics would be nice to see what it actually did look like with the four plugs installed. We just went with a really nice logo Cadillac front vanity plate. Our car was bought in Texas where they require the front tag, but here in Oklahoma we don't. Unfortunately they just put them on when they take delivery of the cars, since they are needed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06CADY View Post
    Yep, CA.
    The dealer says they will not deliver a car without the bracket in place. So I took it off.
    Did a little research on this. Apparently, the dealer is only complying with CA state law. They're required to have the bracket installed on all cars they sell. The only exception is if they obtain a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the vehicle acknowledging that they're aware of the legal requirement and refuse anyway.

To avoid having the holes drilled, you'd have to catch them when the car is first delivered and sign that statement. Then, take you chances on getting a ticket for driving without the front plate.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_17.htm

Sube

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Sube it is the same issue in many states ... including NY!

Yeah, if the state the vehicle is being sold in mandates it, I don't see a problem. However, here in PA a front plate is not required. Believe it or not I've seen other (not Cadillac) dealers who drill the bumpers of all of their cars just to put that stupid advertisement plate on. People buy those cars and don't complain because they think they have no option.

Sube

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

At least now most of the dealer logos they put on the cars can be removed fairly easily. I got my James Wood logo off with a heat gun and dental floss. Remember the 70's when the dealer would stick a huge potmetal logo on the cars and attach it with rivets? Not only were they ugly, but they left two holes in the car when you tried to take them off. I was stuck with a few cars with these monstrosities on them, because back then I was only able to buy used vehicle.s Later, I demanded they take them off, or did it myself immediatley after taking delivery.

brk
    brk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

I left the holes in my front bumper and keep the plate in the trunk, along with a couple of screws poking out of it.

That way if I ever get pulled over, I can plausibly say "yeah, it got knocked off at the car wash the other day and I haven't had a chance to reattach it yet..."

Quote Originally Posted by brk View Post
    I left the holes in my front bumper and keep the plate in the trunk, along with a couple of screws poking out of it.

That way if I ever get pulled over, I can plausibly say "yeah, it got knocked off at the car wash the other day and I haven't had a chance to reattach it yet..."
    I saw a tread maybe on the cts-v forum that had a plastic envlope for the front plate that you could hang for the purpose of having the ticket signed off, its a fix-it ticket in CA. or at least it was.

Quote Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
    Are you going to get the bumper plugs? Kinda pricey, but a good fix. Better than holes.
    If you do, post a follow up. I am curious how they fit, and look.

Thanks, Jim

I did install them and if i am successful at attaching the pic here is the bumper with the plugs.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.