Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else??? in Cadillac SRX Forums; My SRX has a rubbing sound that comes from the right front. It sounds like a tire rubbing the fender. ...
    Carolinamom42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Unhappy Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else???

My SRX has a rubbing sound that comes from the right front. It sounds like a tire rubbing the fender. I took it in (to the dealer I purchased from)and they said they greased the struts. And it only does it when it's cold (in the morning, late afternoon if the temp is cold outside) After the car warms up it stops. It's worse now and I took it to our local dealer and they said they didn't hear anything. (Maybe because they forgot why I brought it in and changed my oil for the second time in two weeks). I am so frustrated. I've never heard of service depts. sending you on your way like there isn't a problem. Anyone else have this problem? It can't be safe to drive a car making this kind of outrageous noise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Smokin' SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 Perf 3.0,AWD, 2011 Yukon Denali,(403HP), had 04 SRX

Re: Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else???

Welcome to our forum, Carolinamom42 Pls enter some more details with your profile/Basics like what model, Luxury or Performance/Base? Premium? Turbo/ AWD or FWD? Year. Tire size: 18 or 20" ? It helps to analyze a problem.

Haven't heard that one exactly. It may be a bearing in wheel or a engine pulley. Firstly, get back to that Dealer ASAP and see the Service MGR and tell him you're concerned to drive like this again. Make sure he understands it does it only when cold out. Leave overnite if necessary!

Have the details ready IE.........does it vary with RPM engine speed? While coasting or under power? In drive, neutral or both? At all speeds? You get the idea.

If unsatisfied try another Caddy Dealer. Pls get back to us w/ results.

Good luck

SS

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

My suspension squeaks when it is cold out, but it doesn't make a rubbing noise. And it only happens when traveling over larger bumps.
    Briandesko and Briandesko like this.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

algiorda is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 , 2010, 2014 Luxury Raven Blk w/Ebony

Ok, I'll ask the obvious, "Is the wheel well liner loose and rubbing against the tire?" Does the noise only occur when you turn the steering wheel?

ajrohman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have an AWD Lurury 2010 SRX. It has a rubbing type noise also, but only when the wheels are turned at a low speed - took it in to have it checked and they could not resolve the problem - they could not determine what was causing it and are suppose to check with GM as to what the solution might be. Took a 2 hour drive to Iowa City today (cold weather) when entering the hospital paking lot the car sounded like it was falling appart every time I turned a corner and when I pulled into a parking space. Sounds like a power steering problem but the service department could not resolve. It was not making the noise at the start of the trip.

Nichelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD 3.0L Performance SRX (Delivered 3/19!)

Interesting. Tonight when I drove my car, I noticed a grinding/rubbing sound when I pulled into a parking space. It happens when I turn the wheel at very low speeds. It happened again when I turned into my driveway. It was 19 degrees. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow.

Today I had it in for the power steering/hydraulic power assist recall. But this issue still exists.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

I think my squeaky suspension issue is unrelated, and totally related to a little muddy outing earlier in the year i was unable to fully clean the underside of.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior -ARRIVED!!

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and comments. I called the customer service number from the cadillac.com website and they made an appointment for me today to take the car to another dealer. They kept it to see how it sounds in the early morning tomorrow. And for those of you having the same issues I will keep you posted on what they find. I see that two others are having the same problem. Mine also only happens at low speed, (i.e., parking, turning out of the garage,) and when the temp outside is very cold. The service tech assured me they would not stop until they find the problem. Let's just hope they don't change my oil again .

jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

I get the same sound. It sounds like it comes from the front right wheel well. I live in chicago so parallel park quite a bit and usually the sound comes at low speeds trying to get in and out of spaces. Cutting the wheels hard and slowly moving causes a sound like the wheel is rubbing.

The odd thing is, it only happens when the car is cold although I remember one instance of it happening after a long drive.

I always assumed that it was the power steering straining due to the hydrolic fluid being thicker.

briank99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium\2014 SRX Premium

My 2010 SRX Premium also has bad suspension squeeks when cold. To me it sounds like an old bedspring. I first noticed it last February when I first got it, but before I took it in for its first service in the spring, the squeeking went away. I just assumed that it 'broke in', but now that the cold weather is back it is as bad as ever. It is parked in a garage at night, so in the morning it is quiet. But after being outside in the cold for a few hours, the squeeking is back. It will be going in for service again soon and I will be bringing this issue up.

SRXCool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Performance AWD 3.0

Hi all,
    I too have this same low speed, only when cold rubbing sound when turning the wheels left to right or right to left, like when turning into parking spot. Cannot hear it at higher speeds. I have a 2010 Performance AWD, non-turbo, with 19000 miles on it. Coming from right front. Wheel liner is not loose and doesn 't appear to have any rubbing or tire marks on it. I will be interested to hear others' results at dealer.

farinacci is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD Lux Collection

We too have the same problem, only when its colder outside and at slow speeds the steering sounds like it has a lot of air in the lines or something. I called the dealer and told them about the problem, they didnt seem to have heard of that before but we are taking it in on Monday to see if they can fix it. I am curious to see what it is, I didnt think so many people were experencing the same problem. I will respond with what they find out next week. We live in the twin cities and it was a cold one tonight and it made the noise on every slow turn.

Update: The service tech said he heard the noise but could not isolate it. I am taking my car back in tomorrow morning and they want to keep it possibly all week until they can figure out the problem. Sounds like several of you are experiencing the same and I will certainly post any updates and would appreciate any of you that figure out the problem doing the same. I think this could end up being a recall. I am also hearing a bumping sound when I accelerate or brake (sounds like something rolling back and forth in my gas tank). I'm going to report that as well. I love my SRX but it almost feels like the problems are just getting bigger.
    Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.

farinacci is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX AWD Lux Collection

Well I had my SRX in the shop today and I told them about the noise with the steering and sure enough there is a recall on the steering. Not sure if its all models or just the lux and base models. But when I brought it in today it wasnt making the noise, I dont think it was cold enough, it was 40 degrees today so we will see tomorrow now that the recall has been done. Hope everyone else gets the problem solved.

GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

I believe Sube gave us notice in a different thread about the power steering line recall. Thanks anyway

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.