Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else???

68K views 119 replies 43 participants last post by  DPV915 
#1 ·
My SRX has a rubbing sound that comes from the right front. It sounds like a tire rubbing the fender. I took it in (to the dealer I purchased from)and they said they greased the struts. And it only does it when it's cold (in the morning, late afternoon if the temp is cold outside) After the car warms up it stops. It's worse now and I took it to our local dealer and they said they didn't hear anything. (Maybe because they forgot why I brought it in and changed my oil for the second time in two weeks). I am so frustrated. I've never heard of service depts. sending you on your way like there isn't a problem. Anyone else have this problem? It can't be safe to drive a car making this kind of outrageous noise.

#96 ·
UPDATE to my prior post on the front end noise during freezing temperatures regarding: Defective Struts. On 2/14/11 Left and Right front strut mount bearings replaced. Part #20999167. and also, parts were on back order. The weather conditions in this area are rarely as extreme as the winter storm that just came through recently with 3 degree snow/ice and is now temp back up to 75 degree. So, i'll have to assume the replacement parts were a fix unless that weather condition was to present again to know for sure.

#99 ·
I'm for sunshine too! As for the Border, I'm far off but, don't try to get into a 7-11 store any morning around here! It's DOWN (due to recession?) to about 50 guys hanging around for work! No, not legals........So we have weather and illegals too! But I digress too much, sorry.

Glad yours are fixed, Cav and Lauriel. Hope others get it done also. No probs here yet with 5,000 miles in cold temps....... :cloud9:

SS

#100 ·
Have my 2010 SRX in the shop for the rubbing noise when turning the wheel. Mine started about 3 weeks after having the power steering recall done, but service advisor says that it was not related. He just called me and said that there is a bulletin on this issue. I asked if it was struts, motor mounts, or .... He said that it was in the power steering unit, and that the part is back ordered. Is going to print out the bulletin and leave in my vehicle when I pick it up. Fortunately it was below freezing today when I took it in as he was able to hear the sound.

#101 ·
If it's the same scraping sound when cold outside that we have been discussing for months then it is the upper strut mounts period ! Read the history with this issue ,and we have fixed it by replacing upper strut mounts. Don't let them tell you different or you'll be screwing with this forever. It is NOT the power steering unit. Good Luck

#103 ·
SRX was in 1st time, dealer did nothing
SRX was in 2nd time, dealer still did nothing. They did say a new strut was being developed and would be out in a week, then a month....so who knows.
SRX was in a 3rd time to a different dealer, struts and upper mounts were replaced, still have the same issue. This car doesn't drive like a cadillac with the front suspension, it's a POS!

The gas tank noise is just plain annoying! Who would create a tank with no baffles and then it's going to be late August before they get a fix for this?

There is an attorney contacting GM on my behalf to start the lemon law procedure for Ohio.

#110 ·
Though these posts are old, I thought I'd try to help as I too have (or had) this problem. After numerous attempts with the dealer and GM customer service, it was determined the cause to be a faulty strut mount bearing assembly. At the time (December 2010) parts were unavailable. After several weeks they came in and were replaced (both sides though one was clearly worse than the other). The problem was solved.

#112 ·
I was having the same issue described in this thread with my 2011 Cadillac SRX Premium with 12, 512 miles. I live in NE Minnesota where the temps routinely dip to 20 to 40 below zero. I had the awful noise of scrunching, scraping, etc. I read this thread and went to the GM dealer, nearest Cadillac dealer is 60 miles away, and told them of my woes mentioning the TSB No. 10-03-08-001 I found on this thread. The service manager looked up the TSB and simply said I will order the parts. One week later, yesterday, the dealership called and told me the parts were in. Today I had the repair done in one hour replacing both sides. The problem is solved...I now have a smooth quiet ride. Not sure what all these numbers mean but from the invoice the parts replaced where E2179 Stabilizer shaft insulator 14 W 22741853 W-insulator and 12800 R&R Bar bushings per DOC ID10 03 08 001B. My SRX no longer sounds like a lumber wagon.

#115 ·
Just to throw my name it the hat here, I brought my SRX in for similar noises (among other things) and just heard back from the dealership: Strut Mounts need replaced, national back order (they think their is a new version in the works), they will let me know when they get them. No ETA.

#118 ·
I bought my car in 2010 from an individual that had it for a few months. He sold it because his sister, the owner, had passed away. One day I was driving home in the rain and noticed a loud rubbing sound in my left front. I immediately stopped at a service station and they told me to take it to a Cadillac dealership. I called for appointment and took it on a clear day. They could find nothing. I have had it back several times for same issue and when I get there and car gets in warm dry station the rubbing stops so the can find nothing. Now my car does it not only when it rains but when it is very cold. I was able to stop by the dealership one day and they heard it and said it was a bad strut and I have an appointment next week. However I'm just not sure that is he problem. Someone else suggested a bad bushing that expands when wet or cold? I'm just afraid I will be out a big expense and it will not solve the problem.

#120 ·
Now that the cold weather has arrived my 2011 SRX Preminum has developed the dreaded grinding noise during low speed turns. In reviewing this thread it appears the front strut mount have gone bad.

I did replace the strut assemblies in my 2006 SRX myself but I believe the 2011 cars are more involved and require a wheel alignment afterwards. Any input, suggestions or recommendations from members that have dealt with this repair themselves?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.