Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Roaring/Rubbing sound when it's cold..anyone else???

68K views 119 replies 43 participants last post by  DPV915 
#1 ·
My SRX has a rubbing sound that comes from the right front. It sounds like a tire rubbing the fender. I took it in (to the dealer I purchased from)and they said they greased the struts. And it only does it when it's cold (in the morning, late afternoon if the temp is cold outside) After the car warms up it stops. It's worse now and I took it to our local dealer and they said they didn't hear anything. (Maybe because they forgot why I brought it in and changed my oil for the second time in two weeks). I am so frustrated. I've never heard of service depts. sending you on your way like there isn't a problem. Anyone else have this problem? It can't be safe to drive a car making this kind of outrageous noise.

#63 ·
carolinamom42,
All I can tell you is I started having trouble in March of 2009 and I am going to court on Thursday, Jan. 13th for my complaint with the Texas Dept. of Transportation under the lemon law. All that you have to do is prove you have given them 3 opportunities to fix your car for the same thing and if they fail, than file a complaint. I learned the hard way, but only filed the complaint at the end of October and it went really fast from there. I just have put up with this nonsense thinking everytime was the last time! I have a case advisory with TXDOT that I can call for support, but the main thing is documentation. Go to my thread, "Struts, Liftgate.....round 2" and read what one guy posted. Awesome information on the steps and details. We are too busy to run back and forth and the funny thing is if I win in court, there is a formula for reimbursement. All those 100 mile round trips to the dealership for repairs.....I will probably be charged for in mileage. Just don't wait. The form is online and only cost $35.00. Hope this helps you.
S

#66 ·
I don't what else to tell you except its FIXED! Give this imfo to your service dept and they can fix it. Its been a week and no problems and really cold. I know your frustated because I felt the same as you , I paid all this money and could'nt believe my car was making such a grinding sound when steering. When the tech said he knew where the problem was I was not convinced until I drove it for a few days. I just don't understand why the rest of you are still having this problem if they replace the necessary parts as I have described. Otherwise I really like my caddy, runs great and is beautiful (Red awd Lux ) sharpest car on the road! I hope I continue to have good luck ,who knows there just machines and every make of car can have problems and they do.

#67 ·
I have been experiencing the same rubbing sound coming from the front passenger side at low speeds when turning the wheel. Seem to notice when pulling out of garage or backing in. Afraid to even bring it to the dealership for yet another problem. I got my SRX in March of 2010 and it has been at the dealership for service 39 days (not all at once) can't take it any more going to pursue the lemon law anyone else had their car in that much or any advice?

#68 ·
Aunti Evil , I pulled up the Cadillac site and looked up owners ratings and found about 5 not so happy and most rated their cars 5 stars being the highest , they rate 4 categories overall and thats how you get your score. It sounds like you and some others have lemons and I would be upset to. I'm sure alot has to do with your service dept and lousy techs. I noticed alot of these cars were purchased in march and it seems to me they had bugs to work out. I purchased mine in August 2010 and so far just the one problem, but it only has 5000 mi. Sorry your having such problems. Can you tell me what they are?

#69 ·
Aunti Evil , I pulled up the Cadillac site and looked up owners ratings and found about 5 not so happy and most rated their cars 5 stars being the highest , they rate 4 categories overall and thats how you get your score. It sounds like you and some others have lemons and I would be upset to. I'm sure alot has to do with your service dept and lousy techs. I noticed alot of these cars were purchased in march and it seems to me they had bugs to work out. I purchased mine in August 2010 and so far just the one problem, but it only has 5000 mi. Sorry your having such problems. Can you tell me what they are?
IMHO, I would not trust reviews on the manufacturer's web site. They can post/delete anything they want to there. You really need a reliable 3rd party web site to get less biased opinions.

#70 ·
Update on my front driver's side suspension squeaking. It is the upper strut mount, and parts are on the way. Should be fixed soon!

#71 ·
I had "the upper strut mounts" replaced Monday and have not had any of the rubbing sound on low speed turns during cold weather occur. Maybe my problem has been solved. In addition they tightened the rear hatch and that has eliminated the cold weather squeak I was also having from this area.

#73 ·
I'm jealous that your dealers are replacing struts, mounts and fixing springs.....lol my dealer told me "No". I'm glad more dealers are taking care of this problem. Maybe just maybe Cadillac has figured out a fix and they are willing to eat the cost of the struts/mounts for happy customers. I was not so lucky, but this does give me great hope!
Auntie Evil.....go read my post about pursuing the Lemon Law. I just did and had great results. The post is at the top of the list regarding struts, liftgade....round 2.
Good Luck!
S

#75 ·
The dealer only gets reimbursed for warranty work that is done correctly. If they just start replacing parts based on customer demand, they'll go out of business quickly. There have been a few different front suspension issues since the vehicle launched, so don't assume that every vehicle in this thread has the same issue and repair procedure (one of the issues had a service bulletin that said "don't replace parts"). Of course maybe it is a clueless service department - no way to know. I'm just saying, don't necessarily assume.........

#76 ·
The dealer only gets reimbursed for warranty work that is done correctly. If they just start replacing parts based on customer demand, they'll go out of business quickly. There have been a few different front suspension issues since the vehicle launched, so don't assume that every vehicle in this thread has the same issue and repair procedure (one of the issues had a service bulletin that said "don't replace parts"). Of course maybe it is a clueless service department - no way to know. I'm just saying, don't necessarily assume.........

#77 ·
Hey you two, I just settled a Lemon Law case and they are replacing my car.....so I guess, the parts should have been replaced. The service dept. at my old dealer is stupid and acted like all the problems were my fault. I spent 10 months with problems with this car and after spending 5 with this dealer, I finally fired them and went to another one. So the problems were there, they just said "No". I had to live with that. The second dealer had the car over Christmas and there were 4 bulletins on my car, a radiator leak, they replaced a side mirror, tightened springs, etc. There were a total of 8 things done to the car that time and it is still not fixed. SO, I get a new 2011 soon. They had to order one because they could not find one like I have. Performance, gray flannel, ebony w/titanium, SRX.

So if you know and feel the car is not driving or doing what it is not suppose to, than change dealerships. I was persistant and it paid off. Stay the course.

S

#78 ·
There are no bulletins regarding this problem ! If you noticed there have two others that have replaced the parts (Front upper struts ) and their cars are Fixed. Yes your service dept is clueless and I and NOT assuming ! how ever if you don't have roaring / Rubbing and scraping sound then this not your answer.

#79 ·
I just called my dealer to see if they knew of this fix and they gave me the strut mount part # 20999167. He said this is the newest part # and it's for the 2011's and it's also being used on the 2010's as well. He didn't give me any other part #'s other than this one. Has anyone gotten a replacement with the new part # I noted above and did it work for you?

#83 ·
My 2010 SRX doesn't have auto headlight dimmer ! My 2007 jeep limited had this option as has many of my previous cars. I thought this was pretty much std on most high end cars and even not so high end , does any one have any imfo on this? it worked perfect on my Jeep and I got really used to it, lazy in NY

#84 ·

Yes. My 2010 SRX FWD did the same. With a recent winter storm and freezing temps blow 20 and 10 degree I was driving on the snow and ice and the steering arms began making a very loud crackling noise like it was freezing up and going to crack off, I called the service dept while driving and service writer stated that it had to do with the idler arms housing becomming stiff from the freeze and the arms were rubbing against it. ?? Then he mentioned DRY STRUTS. Hmmm, He also had just told me 4 weeks ago when i brought to his attention some noises coming from my dash that it was my STRUTS, and actually ordered replacement STRUTS and said i may have to wait for a month before the parts would be in. I was scheduled to bring my car in Yesterday morning and i called and cancelled. I have spent hours and hours researching this issue. I did find some info on Defective Struts, however not a recall for it yet. I continued to drive my car. Weather has warmed up and i do not hear this noise now. However; I'm now researching this Defective Strut issue heavily.
And I do understand your level of frustration dealing with the Dealership/Service Dept.

#85 ·
Just bought a 2011 SRX in Dec. It's been cold here in Chicago and now I have the noise too (driver front). :( /sigh. I'll bring it up to the dealer today. I also got a warning to service the rear axle. Car only has 2k miles on it. :(

The SRX's shocks sound like my Toyota Avalon with 250k miles on it!

#86 ·
Just bought a 2011 SRX in Dec. It's been cold here in Chicago and now I have the noise too (driver front). :( /sigh. I'll bring it up to the dealer today. I also got a warning to service the rear axle. Car only has 2k miles on it. :(

The SRX's shocks sound like my Toyota Avalon with 250k miles on it!
Sorry to hear that you are yet another victim of this ongoing problem. What amazes me is that this has been an issue with the 2010 model and Cadillac still has not found the solution and new cars are coming out with the problem. This does not bode well for repeat sales.

#88 ·
So curious.....my 2010 is silent ( 11 F degrees today) and I don't baby her/slow down much, for speed bumps. (hey ,it's a Caddy!) Why do some have the problem some don't?? 5 posts above me, the part # for a replacement part is given and it seems it successfully fixes the noise. Why don't we all ask for this (if we have the noise described). I sure will, if I encounter this noise.

Still curious how exact same year, models don't correlate..... I know they sometimes use different suppliers, ,midstream-on the production line if parts run out. What's going on in Mexico anyway....?

I'd be insane if my SRX sounded like a percolator, while tooling down the road.

Thx to all who post/earnestly offer to help, thru their experiences! This is what makes a great Forum, even if we don't all agree on everything, all the time.

Still curious.......
SS

#89 ·
The part # that I posted earlier above is the current fix for this problem. I was told that both the 2010's and 2011's have this same issue. I am going to take mine in next week for this replacement and see how it goes. It's been making the horrible noise all week especially on start up since it's been so frigid in chicago these past few weeks. I also noticed another new noise, it's like a thumping noise from the passenger front side. I guess I'll have to search the forum again and see if I can find this problem ( or if anyone knows of the thread can you please direct me to it ).

#90 ·
I had upper strut parts replaced in Dec and its been perfect ! , when you do there will be no more noise . I can't believe I'm still reading about the same problem with so many of you. This imfo has been posted for several weeks. Its just as cold in NY and no noise,you don't need to research this! Its the upper strut mounts. Good Luck If you want to chat call me and I'll be happy to explain this 518-381-1747 Mike

#91 ·
I had upper strut parts replaced in Dec and its been perfect ! , when you do there will be no more noise . I can't believe I'm still reading about the same problem with so many of you. This imfo has been posted for several weeks. Its just as cold in NY and no noise,you don't need to research this! Its the upper strut mounts. Good Luck If you want to chat call me and I'll be happy to explain this 518-381-1747 Mike
You're brave putting a phone number on the internet. Every SPAMBOT known to man will have it in no time.

#94 ·
Oh ! I forgot to mention that my Phone number is also in the yellow pages aprox 100,000 or so in my area alone not to mention Super pages, so I'm trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do. Just thought I'd have a little fun with this since it's not a ss # or ba or cc #'s , I'll bet many of you are also in the PB. Better watch out for SPAMBOT POLICE, It's Paranoia time Yikes ,No calls yet darn it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.