Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wiper Blade Noise

19K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  jeff618 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have an issue with the noise generated by the wipers when it is rainy, but not that rainy? It seems like the windshield is "sticky."

I am contemplating things like rainx to smooth it down, or new wipers.. The car is about 4 months old and the wipers don't streak at all...

#2 ·
I clean my windshield with ammonia and water when this starts up, but it is equally important to wash the rubber blades too. Just make sure you keep the ammonia off the painted surfaces and rinse very thoroughly. I read somewhere that the RainX product accelerates the demise of the rubber wiper blades but never met anyone who used the product and had this issue.

#5 ·
I read somewhere that the RainX product accelerates the demise of the rubber wiper blades but never met anyone who used the product and had this issue.
Rain-X will cause rubber trim and molding to dry out and eventually crack. Its formula eliminates moisture, which is good for repelling water, bad for rubber. When using it, just be sure to keep it on the glass only. I've never had an issue with wiper blades though. If you use Rain-X correctly (two-step process), the layer remaining on your windshield is too thin to adversely affect wiper blades.

Sube

#6 ·
I've always heard that if your windshield "blurs" while the wipers are going (which is usually accompanied with a terrible sound), pouring good old fashioned Coca-Cola onto the windshield while the wipers were moving would clear away the problem. Something to do with the acidity of Coke.

I've never tried this myself though.

#9 ·
I have no noise, but I am ready for wiper blade replacement. I am finding that nobody has the 17" passenger
blade. I really hate to buy blades from the dealer, but that may be my only choice.
Can anyone else confirm this?

#13 ·
I guess I should have said, I can't go into Auto Zone or any other national parts place and get blades, like
I could for every other vehicle I have ever owned. I was told Bosch is the only one with the correct adapter, and they didn't have the passenger side blade. I guess I will have to order on-line or go to the dealer.

#46 ·
Just Google "GM parts". There are several websites available. Then search for the part no. Amazon also has them. I'm sure eBay stores have them as well. Just be aware of the fact that some stores sell them as "singles", not pairs. The driver's side is a different length than the passenger's side.

Driver Side, GM Part no. 25979378
Passenger Side, GM Part no. 25979379
Rear, GM Part no. 20825882

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?rh=...srx+wiper+blades&ie=UTF8&qid=1319677746&ajr=0

Sube

#16 ·
I bought my ride last May and until now my wipers have been silent. Every time I wash the car I wash the blades as well ( Windex) and of course my windshield. Now for some reason, when the wipers come on, the first half dozen swipes are chattering. It then clears itself and they are fine. Strange.....

#17 ·
I got blades from the dealer. $21.00 ea.
I felt it was inline with the price I paid for Bosch Blades
for my wifes car.

Nothing like the old $3.00 Anco refills..................

#18 ·
Windshield wiper blades (the rubber part) do not sit or operate at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. When operating correctly, the rubber part of the blades flips and flops (or pivots) at an angle probably closer to 45 degrees to the glass, away from the direction of blade travel. You may get the racket in the colder temperatures when the rubber is stiffer and the flip flop action is less effective.

In the extreme case, the blade is so stiff that it is catching on the windshield and is skipping. The racket is more pronounced in either one direction or the other. That is because the angle orientation is correct in one direction but not the other.

Some may notice that the stuttering and racket is more prounounced when the windshield is drier but silences when one hits the washer button or the amount of water/sleet/snow hitting the windshield is greater. The moisture is essentially a lubricant.

Dirty wiper blades and/or road chemicals (residue) on the windshield make the problem even more pronounced.

Some find that in the Winter they have some luck mitigating the stuttering and racket. After they shut down their car for the night, they alter the blades' orientation angle opposite to the orientation the blades took by themselves when the wipers were turned off.

Hope some of this orientation, temperature, "lubrication", and chemical stuff made sense and helps. If I am not mistaken, the owners' manual may have a replacement recommendation, listed in months. Think my Infinity said every six months.....but I wait until I can't get rid of the streaking or stuttering, no matter what I do. The rubber blades harden with age and exposure to the elements, and become less flexible or maleable.

Another more scientific way to know when it is time to change the wiper blades is when the wife's complaints begin. :thepan:

PJ

#20 ·
Yes, I read this in Popular Mechanics a couple of years ago, and the solution is to gently twist the entire arm to make the blade contact the glass at a 90 degree angle. You can determine the direction to twist based on the direction of wiper travel that causes the chatter. If they chatter on the way up, twist the blades down. If they travel on the way down, twist them up. Obviously, you need to be somewhat careful to twist properly to prevent breakage. Works every time!

I actually came here looking for advice on replacements, so thanks to all for their input. I bought a 26" DuPont blade from Amazon and it works ok. I don't like the way the connector makes the arm sit up off the windshield so high, but it works, But the 17" I bought for the passenger's side doesn't have the top lock connector, so I'm looking all over for it. I'll check out Napa, and if all else fails, $21 from the dealer isn't as far out of line as I expected.

By the way, I think these are called beam type blades with a top lock connector.

Thanks,
Rich

#21 ·
I guess that's why I went to the dealer.
I didn't really want to order one from here, the other from there.
Just walk in, walk out with them. Plus these sit just as the original blades sat.

#23 ·
Heck for a few $$$ more I would just go to the dealership and get a pair put on. If you ask the parts guy you might get a 10% discount that most dealers will give you if you ask them. Just my .02

NOTE: One should really replace their wiper blades at least once every six months due to all the elements. Fall and spring time are good times to do it... fresh blades for winter and then at spring time for the warm seasonal use. :yup:

#27 ·
After driving through the blizzard this weekend, it is aparant that my blades suck! I couldnt leave them on because the noise was to painful to listen to. No matter if I used wiper fluid or if the rainy snow was on the windshield, the wipers made noise in both directions.

Will replacing the blades with the OEM model fix this or is this just a design issue?

#29 ·
If you use those "lemon wipes" you get from say... steakhouses, or something of the like, on the blades; it usually stops the blades from squeaking/chattering. At least it does for me. :D

I always like washing my hands to using those wipes anyway, though they do smell nicely of lemon... lol

#34 ·
OMG! I didn't mean to imply that you didn't get the wiper blades "free" on your invoice. Perhaps I used poor wording. I'm just saying that nothing is really "free" in life. These types of things are absorbed in the cost of other items. Please don' be upset. I think you misunderstood my intent.

#36 · (Edited)
I will agree that perhaps you did use "poor" wording and I can accept your reasons. What I also read into your thoughts, at least for me anyways, was most people feel nothing is for free! I can certainly concur with those comments, for usually there is a price to pay when we get something for free.

Certainly all of us here paid a good premium to be able to own what most automotive enthusiasts and journalists would consider to be not only a great vehicle but a great linage (Cadillac) in the history of automotive companies.

In the end it is what a great company does for their customers that defines "Customer Satisfaction. "

#37 ·
I just called my local dealer, they gave me the following info on the wiper blade replacements:

Part #20981080 for the right side
Part #20981079 for the left side
Each piece is $22.81

Does this sound like what everyone else is paying for replacement blades?
Plus they want $17 to install them! Being a girl - is this hard to do or is there somewhere online that I can find instructions on how to do this myself?
I'd rather save the money and buy myself coffee's for the week!

#40 · (Edited)
I paid about $17 for the passenger's side at Napa..see my post earlier in the thread.

As for installation, I have to say that while I hate the fact that GM felt the need to come up with a new mounting system so we can't just go buy any blade and stick it on there, I have to admit that it is ABSOLUTELY the easiest to replace wiper I've ever seen. You can do it! In the attached photo, just push the button that's circled in red, then pull on the blade in the direction of the arrow (sorry the picture of the blade removed is so blurry...one-handed in the dark is my excuse lol). It may be a little stuck, but really, it isn't difficult at all.

Rich

Attachments

#38 ·
My 2010 SRX has had the same problem with wiper chatter.
I asked the dealer if there was a tension adjustment, he said no and could not hear the chatter but it definately does it.
I ordered a new blade and waiting for it to come it.

It did not do it when I first got the car but now it is 10 months old.

#39 ·
Geeze Cadigirl. Just pull in the service area, and tell them you want new blades. The service writer SHOULD
install them for free. What would it take him? A couple minutes? Buy him a coffee.

The price is close to what I paid. Look on their website. Sometimes they have 10% off parts coupons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.