Wiper Blade Noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Wiper Blade Noise in Cadillac SRX Forums; I bought my ride last May and until now my wipers have been silent. Every time I wash the car ...
    GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

Re: Wiper Blade Noise

I bought my ride last May and until now my wipers have been silent. Every time I wash the car I wash the blades as well ( Windex) and of course my windshield. Now for some reason, when the wipers come on, the first half dozen swipes are chattering. It then clears itself and they are fine. Strange.....

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

I got blades from the dealer. $21.00 ea.
    I felt it was inline with the price I paid for Bosch Blades
    for my wifes car.

Nothing like the old $3.00 Anco refills..................

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

Windshield wiper blades (the rubber part) do not sit or operate at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. When operating correctly, the rubber part of the blades flips and flops (or pivots) at an angle probably closer to 45 degrees to the glass, away from the direction of blade travel. You may get the racket in the colder temperatures when the rubber is stiffer and the flip flop action is less effective.

In the extreme case, the blade is so stiff that it is catching on the windshield and is skipping. The racket is more pronounced in either one direction or the other. That is because the angle orientation is correct in one direction but not the other.

Some may notice that the stuttering and racket is more prounounced when the windshield is drier but silences when one hits the washer button or the amount of water/sleet/snow hitting the windshield is greater. The moisture is essentially a lubricant.

Dirty wiper blades and/or road chemicals (residue) on the windshield make the problem even more pronounced.

Some find that in the Winter they have some luck mitigating the stuttering and racket. After they shut down their car for the night, they alter the blades' orientation angle opposite to the orientation the blades took by themselves when the wipers were turned off.

Hope some of this orientation, temperature, "lubrication", and chemical stuff made sense and helps. If I am not mistaken, the owners' manual may have a replacement recommendation, listed in months. Think my Infinity said every six months.....but I wait until I can't get rid of the streaking or stuttering, no matter what I do. The rubber blades harden with age and exposure to the elements, and become less flexible or maleable.

Another more scientific way to know when it is time to change the wiper blades is when the wife's complaints begin.

PJ

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

That was an excellent description of the problem PJ.

rdfrahm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Yes, I read this in Popular Mechanics a couple of years ago, and the solution is to gently twist the entire arm to make the blade contact the glass at a 90 degree angle. You can determine the direction to twist based on the direction of wiper travel that causes the chatter. If they chatter on the way up, twist the blades down. If they travel on the way down, twist them up. Obviously, you need to be somewhat careful to twist properly to prevent breakage. Works every time!

I actually came here looking for advice on replacements, so thanks to all for their input. I bought a 26" DuPont blade from Amazon and it works ok. I don't like the way the connector makes the arm sit up off the windshield so high, but it works, But the 17" I bought for the passenger's side doesn't have the top lock connector, so I'm looking all over for it. I'll check out Napa, and if all else fails, $21 from the dealer isn't as far out of line as I expected.

By the way, I think these are called beam type blades with a top lock connector.

Thanks,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Windshield wiper blades (the rubber part) do not sit or operate at a 90 degree angle to the windshield. When operating correctly, the rubber part of the blades flips and flops (or pivots) at an angle probably closer to 45 degrees to the glass, away from the direction of blade travel. You may get the racket in the colder temperatures when the rubber is stiffer and the flip flop action is less effective.

In the extreme case, the blade is so stiff that it is catching on the windshield and is skipping. The racket is more pronounced in either one direction or the other. That is because the angle orientation is correct in one direction but not the other.

Some may notice that the stuttering and racket is more prounounced when the windshield is drier but silences when one hits the washer button or the amount of water/sleet/snow hitting the windshield is greater. The moisture is essentially a lubricant.

Dirty wiper blades and/or road chemicals (residue) on the windshield make the problem even more pronounced.

Some find that in the Winter they have some luck mitigating the stuttering and racket. After they shut down their car for the night, they alter the blades' orientation angle opposite to the orientation the blades took by themselves when the wipers were turned off.

Hope some of this orientation, temperature, "lubrication", and chemical stuff made sense and helps. If I am not mistaken, the owners' manual may have a replacement recommendation, listed in months. Think my Infinity said every six months.....but I wait until I can't get rid of the streaking or stuttering, no matter what I do. The rubber blades harden with age and exposure to the elements, and become less flexible or maleable.

Another more scientific way to know when it is time to change the wiper blades is when the wife's complaints begin.

PJ

GMJim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04,06,10 SRX; 2011/14 CTS Wagon

I guess that's why I went to the dealer.
    I didn't really want to order one from here, the other from there.
    Just walk in, walk out with them. Plus these sit just as the original blades sat.

I just picked up the 17" passenger's side blade at Napa. They didn't have it in stock but got it the next day. It's a Napa 60-017-PP, $16.95 plus tax, perfect fit.

Rich

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by rdfrahm View Post
    I just picked up the 17" passenger's side blade at Napa. They didn't have it in stock but got it the next day. It's a Napa 60-017-PP, $16.95 plus tax, perfect fit.

Rich
    Heck for a few $$$ more I would just go to the dealership and get a pair put on. If you ask the parts guy you might get a 10% discount that most dealers will give you if you ask them. Just my .02

NOTE: One should really replace their wiper blades at least once every six months due to all the elements. Fall and spring time are good times to do it... fresh blades for winter and then at spring time for the warm seasonal use.

I have 2 reasons for not going to the dealer:

1) I don't want to 'reward' them for coming up with a new design that requires me to go to them.
    2) I'm retired and on a fixed income...every penny counts these days

Damn, I sure miss the days of the $2.50 refills lol

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    Heck for a few $$$ more I would just go to the dealership and get a pair put on. If you ask the parts guy you might get a 10% discount that most dealers will give you if you ask them. Just my .02

NOTE: One should really replace their wiper blades at least once every six months due to all the elements. Fall and spring time are good times to do it... fresh blades for winter and then at spring time for the warm seasonal use.

I have 2 reasons for not going to the dealer:

1) I don't want to 'reward' them for coming up with a new design that requires me to go to them.
    2) I'm retired and on a fixed income...every penny counts these days

Damn, I sure miss the days of the $2.50 refills lol

Rich
    You own a Cadillac not a Ford Fiesta, and no offense is meant here but gosh man for only a few $$$ more you will get the OEM correct and exact fit blades. I have bought other blades and when they fall off or break off in the winter you will wishing like I had why didn't I get the correct fit OEM blades!

I am sorry but I just don't understand trying to save a few pennys or not ... it is a mere couple of bucks on such a critical thing as OEM or premium made wiper blades...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc NY View Post
    You own a Cadillac not a Ford Fiesta, and no offense is meant here but gosh man for only a few $$$ more you will get the OEM correct and exact fit blades. I have bought other blades and when they fall off or break off in the winter you will wishing like I had why didn't I get the correct fit OEM blades!

I am sorry but I just don't understand trying to save a few pennys or not ... it is a mere couple of bucks on such a critical thing as OEM or premium made wiper blades...
    Well, no offense intended, but what kind of blades have you been buying that fall off or break off??? I've ALWAYS used aftermarket blades and have NEVER had one fall off or break off. I'll let you know when I replace these in 6 or 7 months. ;-)

Rich

cazzara02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx

After driving through the blizzard this weekend, it is aparant that my blades suck! I couldnt leave them on because the noise was to painful to listen to. No matter if I used wiper fluid or if the rainy snow was on the windshield, the wipers made noise in both directions.

Will replacing the blades with the OEM model fix this or is this just a design issue?

SomeGuyNamedJay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX

I just had the dealer replace them (with OEM) and they are back to awesome. Are they supposed to be covered under the new service plan? Mine were. How old are yours?

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

If you use those "lemon wipes" you get from say... steakhouses, or something of the like, on the blades; it usually stops the blades from squeaking/chattering. At least it does for me.

I always like washing my hands to using those wipes anyway, though they do smell nicely of lemon... lol
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

Well, no offense intended, but what kind of blades have you been buying that fall off or break off??? I've ALWAYS used aftermarket blades and have NEVER had one fall off or break off. I'll let you know when I replace these in 6 or 7 months. ;-)

Rich
    I had a bad experience with one blade that was put on by Sam's Club. It came off when I was pulling up the blade cleaning snow off of it. It might have been defective or partially broken when it was installed.

BTW: I went to the dealer to have some work done on my SRX and told the service guy that my SRX driver's blade was hopping and skipping. They looked at it and installed a new one free of charge. Now that is great service!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedJay View Post
    I just had the dealer replace them (with OEM) and they are back to awesome. Are they supposed to be covered under the new service plan? Mine were. How old are yours?
    As I said above mine were replaced for FREE! I have a 2010 SRX.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.