Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has ...
    Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Re: Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post
    Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

There is a Cadillac Bulletin on your problem. I can't believe there are so many helpless dealerships out there. And to think I have to endure one right here in Austin, TX, home of the geeks.

Read this whole thread for your answer where eventually, I posted the actual bulletin contents. In short, they need to replace your radio/nav unit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-shutdown.html
    kklein50 and kklein50 like this.

Awesome, thanks Steve.

Ahhh, and this explains the "I agree" screen that all of the sudden started appearing with each cycle. We didn't understand why that started, but I assumed some software update when we took it in last and that it is the new default mode - since many vehicles DO require you to AGREE at every ignition cycle.

Some clarification after speaking to the service mgr....

The new nav unit did not fix it, for some reason. So, they continue to go back and forth with engineers at GM to troubleshoot this "error" that they are each seeing on their respective computer/diagnostic systems. Could take 2 tries, could take 32 tries, maybe a new patch is needed, maybe not.

They finally were able to get us an SRX loaner, so my wife is happy now and doesn't really care how long it takes to fix.

Sorry to hear that Andy. It took care of my problem completely. Perhaps it isn't programmed correctly. Let us know how things progress.

Forgot to reply to this thread a while back - but they did finally replace the radio after going back and forth with the main service guys.

And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference).

But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.

Marc NY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): SRX 2013 Performance Flannel Gray w/ 20" Polished Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post
    ... And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference). But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.
    My daughter's 2010 Equinox had the exact same issues plus more. Her home NAV screen always came up Washington DC every time she wanted to program a destination. We would have to reprogram the NAV back to New York each time. However, after you shut off the vehicle and restarted it back up again sure enough Washington DC stilled showed up in the search for a destination. When we had the Day Light Savings time change her clock would fall back an hour after being reprogrammed over and over again. The NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen would come on every time she would go to use the NAV screen display. There were at least a half a dozen more issues that presented itself over and over again.

She took it back to the dealership to only get well you didn't program the vehicle NAV system correctly etc. She came home and lit me up! After I heard her scream at me I went directly to the owner of the dealership and said I would like you to sit in her car and witness me going through all her issues. My daughter has a Master degree in teaching thus she is by no means stupid and she is quite capable of programing and resetting a clock etc etc.

I started up the vehicle after the service guy had said he just programmed everything properly. First thing the owner saw was that the time was off again by one hour! I proceeded to walk him through the NAV screen and sure enough the warning screen popped back up. He said well that is a normal feature which happens with all NAV screens. I proceeded to tell him it happens about once a week with my SRX not every time you view or use the NAV screen. Then sure enough again Washington DC popped up as home destination!

Long story short... the owner told me he would talk to the service tech and figure out what is wrong with the NAV system or they would order a new Infotainment system for her. Meanwhile I made another appointment to bring in her vehicle. The day before she brought in the car for service there was a new bulletin issued by GM that addressed all of her issues. Sure enough they used a flash drive to downloaded the latest software fix.

It has been fine for the past 3 months.
    kklein50 and kklein50 like this.

Thanks for posting this Marc. What puzzles me is why so many dealerships want to treat people like they're stupid. I have at last convinced my local service adviser that I definitely know what I'm talking about when I come in with my car. I even hand them a Word document with all the details so they can't say I didn't tell them about it.

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

Unhappy Re: Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

Had the same problem default washington dc / clock off 1 hr. / would delete previous address but they would show up next time i started up. Dealer reflashed 6 weeks fixed every thing. Last week i noticed washington dc back and address book deletes but comes back on start up. The clock is alright. Back to the dealer monday. Good thing is that they are aware of this problem and i will not feel dumb explainig

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

I know there's an option in the Config Menu to reset everything to default. To those who have yet to take their car back to the dealer, have you tried this?

Sube

Back from dealer tried to relash called gm tech dept. They said to put new nav unit in.
    Putting the config menu back to default does not work. Thanks sube took me three days to
    get my personal setting back lol

bobbig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

Where can I find the builletin on the Washington, DC, default problem?

finally got my nav unit fixed from washington d.c. Default. We moved to washington d.c. That took care of it
    i think that is the only way it is going to get fixed.
    poolandgolf and poolandgolf like this.

frankrizzo135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Performance

My screen said Washinton,D.C. also. Then after pressing the steering wheel button and telling it destination, it said change state and city. . So in my case I told it was New York and Syracuse for the city. Now it has corrected itself and when I press the dest. button it show New York State.

Quote Originally Posted by frankrizzo135 View Post
    My screen said Washinton,D.C. also. Then after pressing the steering wheel button and telling it destination, it said change state and city. . So in my case I told it was New York and Syracuse for the city. Now it has corrected itself and when I press the dest. button it show New York State.
    Did you check it after the car was turned off and sat for at least 15 minutes?

My experience is that you can change it but after the RAP (retained accessory period) expires, it goes back to Washington D.C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.