Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

72K views 198 replies 57 participants last post by  BillDonna 
#1 ·
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

See less See more
#76 ·
stevec5375 said:
I guess my self-healing SRX has had a relapse. The Nav has managed to reset the State to Washington D.C., AGAIN! It was doing so well by hanging on to Texas for weeks after the U415 software upgrade. But, I'm tired of fighting this battle. I am not making another trip to the dealership to get YANU (Yet Another Navigation Unit) since I'm already on my 2nd (or is it 3rd). As little as I use the Nav, I'll just type in the state every time and be done with it. I'm can't wait to hear how the new CUE performs. I won't be buying a car with it but I'll sure be interested in following its release.
Well, yesterday was Friday the 13th you know. What you are experiencing is truly bizzare.

#78 ·
New to the SRX forum and just purchased 2010 Premium Turbo last week. Love the car, but it has the clock/radio station issue. Nav unit seems to be working fine. Clock disappears from screen after shutting off the car and restarting. After restart iPod is playing, not the FM station I last listened to.

Kaptain... the software updated worked? Good to hear. Maybe I will try that avenue with the dealer. I purchased CPO so no real worries about the "fix"

Would appreciate others suggestions. Mike

#79 ·
My wife's SRX does the exact same thing. It's glitchy for sure. I've been following this thread waiting for someone to say "there's a hard and fast fix" for all the glitches. But after reading about people getting one new nav head unit + one software upgrade after another, I think I'll just continue to wait and see.

I never thought I'd have any use for the little analog clock Cadillac puts in their vehicles, but in this case it's the only way to tell time. :peeking:

#82 ·
For some time I have been of the opinion that factory navigation units are the biggest ripoffs. You pay 2k for a factory nav, and it's been my experience that many of the factory navs aren't user friendly. My least favorite feature is that you have to come to a complete stop in order to utilize most direction functions. So if you're in an undesirable area and your lost you'd have to stop to put in an address. Top that off the with disc upgrades for $200 a piece and there you have it.

The top of the line Garmin can be owned for $400, moved from one vehicle to the next, and comes with lifetime free upgrades. Seems like a no brainer.

But none of that is germane to this discussion. We're all waiting on a fix to the glitchy software. As a side note I have also noticed that after I turn off the radio when I'm driving, it turns itself back on when I restart the vehicle. The wife's memory seats that are programmed with the different remotes also don't automatically move into their respective positions. All are minor annoyances (for me) in an otherwise good luxury vehicle.

I've always heard "old timers" say that the more electronic goodies you put on something, the more likely it is that small stuff will go wrong. I suppose that's true....at least in the case of the Cadillac SRX. :)

#84 ·
My truck now thinks its from Washington!

I'Ve read on here about SRX's getting updates and then getting the issue were the nav keeps coming up that it's in Washington but I have not gotten an update and my truck was fine now out of the blue I keep getting the warning screen and wrong location!

#87 ·
Ok just dropped off my SRX for update 413 was nervous because of course yesterday it went back to my real state so I was worried the service department wasn't going to do it. Quick question the guy in service said this update also updates the nav disk is this true? I'll have newest maps?

#88 ·
I have update U415 on my SRX. It does not update the maps. You have to purchase a new maps DVD to do that. Please check out the sticky thread #2 at the top of the forum. It tells you how to Google search on this forum and you can quickly find the answers to your questions. Most everything has been covered on here a lot. Good luck.

#91 ·
Steve... Has the U415 update fixed your problems? My main aggravations are the radio not staying on previous station, and not digital clock display after car is turned off. If it does in fact work when I go in for my next service I'm going to have them do it.
U415 has fixed everything that was problematic for me. I did not have the digital clock display issue. Here are the things I did have:

1. Nav: State was not being remembered always reverted back to Washington, D.C. Fixed.
2. Nav: Every time I started the Nav, I would get the initial warning screen. Fixed.
3. Radio: Would not remember the last item selected after the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) period had expired and always defaulted to Favorite 1 when restarting. Fixed.

I have had my Nav/Radio unit replaced at least once. So even if you get the software update, if you have an older, faulty Nav/Radio, it may not fix it in which case you would require the unit to be replaced.

----------

I understand that but the service guy was insisting that they were updating my maps I was like "I thought update was only for computer?" and he said no maps & everything! I was not going to argue the issue lol so that's y I went right to forum. Hope everything is ok because I dropped it off yesterday around 10:30am and they still have it day later.
Software updates to the Nav/Radio do not update the maps. As I said, that is a separate DVD. Perhaps the dealer is doing you a "favor" and updating your Nav for free. Normally, map updates require a separate DVD which the customer must purchase. http://www.gmnavdisc.com/buy-a-disc.asp?lang=en

#90 ·
I understand that but the service guy was insisting that they were updating my maps I was like "I thought update was only for computer?" and he said no maps & everything! I was not going to argue the issue lol so that's y I went right to forum. Hope everything is ok because I dropped it off yesterday around 10:30am and they still have it day later.

G
#96 ·
Can't say that I don't agree with you. Had radio replaced two times early on same issue. It is a hassle to reprogram the radio and deal with XM. They said I was in a Buick not a SRX. I had the weather & traffic for a week then it went away. XM said radio was not set up to receive it. About a dozen calls I gave up .
Trouble seems to be 2010 and early 2011's. I am waiting for the model yr 2014. 2013 sounds like a unlucky number to me. Keep us posted .

#97 ·
I know what you mean about XM. I had the same problem as well. I'm through with Cadillac after this SRX. I will be very surprised if the 2013 CUE system is not full of bugs and I sure won't be the one finding and reporting them. I hope those who buy it don't go through what I've been through with the 2010. I've only got 16K miles on this thing and the Radio/Nav is definitely the weakest link. This is the first American car I've had in a long time and I have learned a valuable lesson. Yep, 2013 is an UNLUCKY number.

#100 ·
Thanks for this very valuable information!!! I own a 2010 SRX and have struggled with the very same issues your daughter had. I got used to the
time,the Washington D.C default and even NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen....but what I really could not
accept was when the digital temperature completely left the screen and now the clock is 7 hours off! I have asked them the last 3 times it was in
for service about the other issues and all they did was say they talked to tech and couldn't fix it. Today with the temperature thing, they tried to
download the newest software from XM but that didn't work. Now I will have to take it back next week when they have a loaner for me to use. This
is getting ridiculous for a purchased price of $50,000!!!!
But you did say the software fix from a flash drive worked? I stil think I will try and push for a new unit, then try the flash drive.

#103 ·
Hi everybody. Sorry to bump this thread. My 2011 SRX has had this navigation problem for the past few months. All similar problems that you guys have mentioned previously in this entire thread; the black warning screen with the OK prompt, the clock is an hour off, Washington DC as the location and a AM radio station is on every time the car starts. I finally was able to bring the SRX back to the dealer this past Tuesday to get this checked out.

They really did not have any idea and tried to explain to me that this was normal and began looking through the navigation manual. To explain that this was not normal, I had asked him to set the clock for me, shut off the car, and then come back in 15 minutes to see that something is wrong with it. Sure enough 15 minutes later the clock is an hour off, Washington DC, AM radio station etc.

They said they never seen this before, and will look into it. I tried to tell them about the forum and how it is a known problem but he did not want to hear about a forum. They have had the car since Tuesday. I had called them on Friday and they are still looking into it. Today the loaner car (STS) stalled out 3 times and luckily was able to get home. Dealership is closed until Tuesday.

What I would like to know;

- Is there a code I can tell the tech so that he can look it up on the computer and see that this is a problem? and what exactly needs to be done to resolve this issue?

- or maybe if someone on here who has had this problem fixed, would it be possible to get the name and number of the tech who has fixed this problem before so I can have them contact each other to explain what needs to be done?

I apologize for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great labor day weekend everybody. Thanks again.

#104 · (Edited)
If they have never heard of these problems before, you are either being lied to, they haven't worked on many 2010 SRXs, or people don't know their SRX should not behave in this manner. You need software update U415 which is what I have. If there is a later one, I don't know about it. My dealership is Covert Cadillac in Austin, TX and David Pearson is my service advisor. Perhaps he can put you in touch with someone competent since they have fixed all my issues.

You will need to have your Nav/Radio unit replaced before the U415 software update is applied. I've had to have mine replaced 2 times!

By the way, who is your dealership because I want to make sure I never do business with such incompetents.

#109 ·
I took mine into the dealership and they said that reprogramming the radio was too much work and would likely not fix the issue. They put a new radio in which did resolve the issue of my clock advancing forward six hours. However, my timeshift feature on the radio quit working. I took it back again and they had it for two days. The service manager called me and said that GM has declared the 2010 radios bad and that they put a 2011 radio in. I picked it up and everything seems to work fine.

#110 ·
I took mine into the dealership and they said that reprogramming the radio was too much work and would likely not fix the issue. They put a new radio in which did resolve the issue of my clock advancing forward six hours. However, my timeshift feature on the radio quit working. I took it back again and they had it for two days. The service manager called me and said that GM has declared the 2010 radios bad and that they put a 2011 radio in. I picked it up and everything seems to work fine.
It only took GM 2 years to admit that the 2010 radios are bad? LMAO!! I've already had two replacements! Now perhaps you can understand why I won't be rushing out to buy the first CUE that comes out. Good grief!

#114 ·
I'd be willing to bet the 2011 radio is exactly the same as the 2010. The only difference is the 2011 comes with a newer software version preinstalled. The fact that some dealers are saying the "radio itself" is bad and installing a 2011 radio to fix the issue, goes to show just how little they know about their own vehicles.

Sube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.