Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

72K views 198 replies 57 participants last post by  BillDonna 
#1 ·
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a Cadillac Bulletin on your problem. I can't believe there are so many helpless dealerships out there. And to think I have to endure one right here in Austin, TX, home of the geeks.

Read this whole thread for your answer where eventually, I posted the actual bulletin contents. In short, they need to replace your radio/nav unit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ayed-favorites-remembered-after-shutdown.html

#3 ·
Awesome, thanks Steve.

Ahhh, and this explains the "I agree" screen that all of the sudden started appearing with each cycle. We didn't understand why that started, but I assumed some software update when we took it in last and that it is the new default mode - since many vehicles DO require you to AGREE at every ignition cycle.

#4 ·
Some clarification after speaking to the service mgr....

The new nav unit did not fix it, for some reason. So, they continue to go back and forth with engineers at GM to troubleshoot this "error" that they are each seeing on their respective computer/diagnostic systems. Could take 2 tries, could take 32 tries, maybe a new patch is needed, maybe not.

They finally were able to get us an SRX loaner, so my wife is happy now and doesn't really care how long it takes to fix.

#6 ·
Forgot to reply to this thread a while back - but they did finally replace the radio after going back and forth with the main service guys.

And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference).

But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.

#7 ·
... And here we are again with the same symptoms - the Washington DC default city and the navi liability screen every time on start-up. We also notice the nav not acquiring sat signal until a minute or two of driving (and we park outside, in the open at night so there's no possible interference). But this time 'round, after keeping it for 2 days they apparently can't reproduce the problem! They pretty much gave my wife a good brush off and sent her on her way. I'll be going back for a visit soon with a video clip of the issue and the service bulletin. *sigh*

Curious, did you get anywhere with Cadillac CS or was the effort fruitless?

Thanks.
My daughter's 2010 Equinox had the exact same issues plus more. Her home NAV screen always came up Washington DC every time she wanted to program a destination. We would have to reprogram the NAV back to New York each time. However, after you shut off the vehicle and restarted it back up again sure enough Washington DC stilled showed up in the search for a destination. When we had the Day Light Savings time change her clock would fall back an hour after being reprogrammed over and over again. :cookoo: The NAV warning "OK" button for accepting the risk of using a NAV Screen would come on every time she would go to use the NAV screen display. There were at least a half a dozen more issues that presented itself over and over again. :banghead:

She took it back to the dealership to only get well you didn't program the vehicle NAV system correctly etc. She came home and lit me up! After I heard her scream at me I went directly to the owner of the dealership and said I would like you to sit in her car and witness me going through all her issues. My daughter has a Master degree in teaching thus she is by no means stupid and she is quite capable of programing and resetting a clock etc etc.

I started up the vehicle after the service guy had said he just programmed everything properly. First thing the owner saw was that the time was off again by one hour! :mad2: I proceeded to walk him through the NAV screen and sure enough the warning screen popped back up. He said well that is a normal feature which happens with all NAV screens. I proceeded to tell him it happens about once a week with my SRX not every time you view or use the NAV screen. Then sure enough again Washington DC popped up as home destination! :suspect:

Long story short... the owner told me he would talk to the service tech and figure out what is wrong with the NAV system or they would order a new Infotainment system for her. Meanwhile I made another appointment to bring in her vehicle. The day before she brought in the car for service there was a new bulletin issued by GM that addressed all of her issues. Sure enough they used a flash drive to downloaded the latest software fix.

It has been fine for the past 3 months. :)

#8 ·
Thanks for posting this Marc. What puzzles me is why so many dealerships want to treat people like they're stupid. I have at last convinced my local service adviser that I definitely know what I'm talking about when I come in with my car. I even hand them a Word document with all the details so they can't say I didn't tell them about it.

G
#9 ·
Had the same problem default washington dc / clock off 1 hr. / would delete previous address but they would show up next time i started up. Dealer reflashed 6 weeks fixed every thing. Last week i noticed washington dc back and address book deletes but comes back on start up. The clock is alright. Back to the dealer monday. Good thing is that they are aware of this problem and i will not feel dumb explainig

G
#11 ·
Back from dealer tried to relash called gm tech dept. They said to put new nav unit in.
Putting the config menu back to default does not work. Thanks sube took me three days to
get my personal setting back lol

#14 ·
My screen said Washinton,D.C. also. Then after pressing the steering wheel button and telling it destination, it said change state and city. . So in my case I told it was New York and Syracuse for the city. Now it has corrected itself and when I press the dest. button it show New York State.

#17 ·
I was just at the dealership for this same issue... Dropped off the SRX this morning, got a call an hour later telling me she's ready to go. When I picked her up, the first thing I check was the state listed when entering a destination... Lo and behold, Washington DC. I immediately go back to the Service Department and explain the situation. The Service Rep talks with the tech making sure it was working correctly after the reflash and now they are ordering a new nav unit for me.

I'll keep everyone updated once it arrives but it looks like from what others have posted, a new unit may not fix the problem...

#18 ·
I was just at the dealership for this same issue... Dropped off the SRX this morning, got a call an hour later telling me she's ready to go. When I picked her up, the first thing I check was the state listed when entering a destination... Lo and behold, Washington DC. I immediately go back to the Service Department and explain the situation. The Service Rep talks with the tech making sure it was working correctly after the reflash and now they are ordering a new nav unit for me.

I'll keep everyone updated once it arrives but it looks like from what others have posted, a new unit may not fix the problem...
If you have the same experience I did, it will "temporarily" fix the problem. Now mine is acting up again. I wonder how many new Nav units I'll have before my warranty runs out.

#20 ·
You folks are gonna luv this one.

I took my SRX to the dealer with a two page list of things to do which were all software updates. One of the things I wanted fixed was the last State entered not being remembered in the Nav. Previously, I had taken it in for this problem and they replaced the entire Nav/Radio unit. However, today my service adviser let me know that whoever replaced the Nav/Radio before had failed to update the software in the unit. I never said anything but my thoughts were, "we'll why did it ever work?" But, I'll pick it all up tomorrow and we'll see.

The bottom line is: don't assume that just because they replace your Nav/Radio to fix a problem that they upgraded the software in it to the latest version.

G
#21 ·
Dealer installed new nav unit. Got rid of washington dc. Everthing is fine except the xm radio will not stay connected.
This nav unit has a new(rebuilt) radio i.d. Number that belonged to a buick at one time. Called xm 6 times to day it would work but when i turned off car and tried it 15 minutes later no signal. They could not understand how a buick unit got into my srx.
But in the end they said dealer did not hook up something. Back to dealer monday. Has anybody had this kind of problem.
Wish i would of left it alone can live with washinton as home state but got to have xm

G
#23 ·
NAV UNIT REPLACED AROUND JULY 21st EVERYTHING WAS CORRECTED. I COULD DELETE PREVIOUS DESTINATION. CLOCK WAS CORRECT MY HOME STATE WAS OHIO. BUT THE XM SIGNAL WOULD DISCONNECT WHEN I TURN OFF CAR. REPROGRAMED A DOZ TIME TECH HELP WHOLE 9 YDS.
ANY WAY GETTING A NEW NAV UNIT AUG 1ST. WILL POST RESULTS MONDAY NIGHT

#26 · (Edited)
On the internet there is a term called "netiquette". Using the CAPS lock key is likened to shouting or screaming. It is considered inappropriate "netiquette" for normal conversation. If you have trouble reading, just increase the font size instead. I hope that helps.

P.S.: You can increase the font size in the browser without affecting the screen resolution of your entire computer.

G
#29 ·
Got SRX back from dealer new nav unit installed. Took about 5 hrs. Every thing works even have the little yellow car on the lower left hand of nav screen. Never had the yellow car in the 3 previous reprograms and last new refurbished nav unit.
Also have the weather temp and conditions when I press the information button and the menu icon works.
I think the dealer was as happy as me to get the Nav Unit problem resloved.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.