Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

72K views 198 replies 57 participants last post by  BillDonna 
#1 ·
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

See less See more
#155 ·
Well, 60 days and almost 3,000 miles later and the firmware upgrade is still going strong. Radio has been perfect. Somehow got a free trial of XM and that sucks. Too many hills and tall trees around here. It drops out off and on until I get a clear view of the sky. Back to FM.

#156 ·
I just picked up a used 2010 SRX Turbo Premium. It still has a few miles left on the full warranty. What all do I need to do to check if mine is affected? I know it had Washington in it when I first played with it, but I assumed that was because it was reset to default.
Most importantly, how do I check my firmware version, and what is the current version that everyone gets upgraded to?

#159 ·
My 2010 had the same problems, the dealer did the software update first but it did not hold, then ordered a new radio unit and installed it some six months ago all has been fine since.
If anyone has a 2010 and is still within the 48 month 50k mile warranty and has never had the problem (or does not know of it) get it to the dealer pronto and have it checked out, otherwise it may well cost quite a bit to fix.

#160 ·
If GM knows this is a flaw, why should I have to pay for it? Wrong, just wrong. I try to support the buy American brand, but to what length? I purchased a luxury Cadillac and the luxury has been back and forth to the dealership. Love the cars handling and comfort. Luxury, well it haven't quite come to that conclusion. Maybe I will try a different dealership regarding the software upgrade.

#161 ·
2010 SRX under CPO, 76K. Purchased used, radio has all of the above listed issues, told dealer, they were about to order a new radio when the Service Manager said, no, just flash the firmware and it will fix it. Well got the car back and they informed me that they will need to order a new radio, waiting for it to come in. Oh, they killed my OnStar ( red light now on ). My dealer 8 out of 10 times breaks something else when doing repairs. Once radio is in, off to find another Service Dealer.

#162 ·
I have application version U415 and database version V 20.09.03. Mine goes back to Washington D.C. also. When I select POI I have to change the location to Ma. Is there a special procedure to make Ma. the default? Looked in manual and didn't find it................ Also...does anyone know how old my database version is?? My salesman told me that the system updates itself from satellites for free which is not true from what I've read here and online elsewhere. (GM site)

#164 ·
Hi Rocky4052,

I’m sorry to hear that your navigation continuously defaults to Washington D.C. and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused. Have you brought up this concern with your dealership? I would be happy to further discuss this issue if you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and contact information.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#165 ·
Correct.

Just as I predicted. There are quite a few 2010 owners coming on here to lament their woes with the Radio/Nav unit. There are tons of people driving around in an SRX that are clueless about the problems it has that they should have had fixed under warranty. Now the 2nd owners get to bear the expensive FULL COST of the repairs.

#166 ·
Well fortunately, my wife and I had bought a service/warranty agreement along with the vehicle which SHOULD cover that from what I read........It's called Premier Essential Vehicle Service Contract. Oh.....I also have the famous right headlight that is loaded with condensation that takes forever to dry out...then fills up again with the next rainstorm. And...............the missing chrome molding under the driver side mirror. (my salesman did happen to acquire one for us..just need to catch him there one day to get it.)

#174 ·
Finally received answer for Nav and headlight problem. The warranty does not cover headlight bulbs or assemblies, only headlight motors. They would not cover the nav system..could not "duplicate" problems. The service manager called GM and and came up with a reasonable offer for us. The radio/nav unit and headlight assembly both replaced at a cost of only $300 . We decided to go for it.

#169 ·
Hello michaelestelle,

I apologize you are having trouble with your navigation system settings. The dealership of the last owner I worked with that had this problem said that Washington D.C. is the default city for the system. If you are interested in taking it to the dealership to see what they can do to get your settings fixed please let me know. I’m happy to contact the dealership on your behalf.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

#171 ·
The new bulletin issued recently only will allow radio replacement, the reprogram success rate on this was very low. Check your software version of your current radio to see what version you are running, U40D, or U413 as an example. Most dealers are will to give assistance on partial or fully covering these as long as you are willing to pay some portion. Just don't go in with guns blazing like some customers I have seen, they go down in flames :)

G
#173 ·
Used my nav today and it has gone back to Washington DC. I had two radio units replaced 3 years ago to correct it. Out of warranty now.
I only use it about twice a year so I will live with it. Still a bummer all the 2010 people go out to your garage and see if you have moved to Washington DC

#175 ·
I had my radio/nav replaced on my 2010 14 months ago (the week after I purchased the car) at 33500 milers and it is still working fine (fingers crossed) $300 to fix your problems sounds like a winner to me, I would have also accepted it.
All the best for future trouble free miles.

#176 ·
That sounds good......We dropped the car off at the dealer last nite. It will be a refurbished unit.............the vehicle does have 65,000 miles on it. Bought it in April of this year. Hopefully all the "bugs" have been taken out of it and it will be fine.

Thanks to this great forum, I am learning a lot........... and probably would have believed it IF they had told me that the unit was working normally. Instead, I heard "Sounds like you have been doing some research!"

#178 · (Edited)
My Wife normally drives the SRX (which she really likes!) and she just informed me the radio keeps defaulting back to the wrong input. SO I found this thread and checked for Washington, DC. Sure enough. Plus she told me you can't put in stored addresses as it forgets those. And we didn't even know there was a clock there, as it resets and isn't displayed. Kind of makes a NAV system a pain when you can't even put your HOME as a point to be remembered.

It is a pretty early '11, so I'm sure it came with a bad radio/nav. We specially looked for a used car WITH Nav, so she could use it when I am gone for work. It also has water in 1 headlight and I'm not sure of the sunroof drain leaks, but afraid now for those. And the HVAC has the "click continous" problem in AUTO that needs a body computer flash also.

We recently purchased it with 70K, 4 yrs, 1 month old.

My problem is the first owner never had this taken care of under warrantee. All these have TSBs and could have been fixed easily. Because he never brought it to their attention, it isn't fixed. Kind of disappointed in HIS dealer, as the Carfax history showed all oil changes, tire rotations and minor work was done at his Cadillac dealer. I know know the radio wasn't a recall, but now am I stuck with a very crippled Nav system because of the mileage over 50K? I haven't asked dealer, but $2k to change the radio when it seems to really have come with this defect seems not very fair... Really wishing his dealer would have fixed.

Bob

#179 ·
Just had the Nav / Radio update campaign recall 13322 "navigation radio loss of settings." Dealer updated the radio nav software using the USB socket. I've waited patiently over 4 years dealing with this defect (never considered the Nav replacement option). Every time you shut the car off, the CD would resume from the beginning. But more frustrating was that any new destination would default to Washington DC. I am very pleased to report, this recall finally did the trick! It did not work on voice command, i needed to use the touch panel to "change state" to New York. Appears that it is finally saving my starting location. Very, very pleased but hopeful this doesn't reset again at some point. At least GM / Cadillac is listening to customers and continues to offer remedies, even to customers outside the 4 year 50K warranty period.

#181 ·
Had same problem, need to replace head unit. This should be a recall / Service Bulletin from GM. It is Defective from the Factory!!! GM should extend the warrantee on this like they have on other items. This is a clear defect. Enough people need to speak up and request the fix at the dealer and/or contact GM directly. Don't give up hope..... They have finally acknowledged the sunroof drains.

#193 ·
I got a letter today from GM regarding this very matter, about there navigation radio with the clock issues in the loss radio stations. I've never had a problem actually with my navigation in radio ,but they still did the update last month ,when I took the car in for service. The letter states that they will inspect my radio or reprogram the vehicle's radio model up until february 28th 2017 with out charge. Now who would want to keep taking this car back for the next 2 years for these issue?

G
#195 ·
Also got a letter from Cadillac about Radio & Nav. I had my Radio replaced under warranty 2 years ago. Also enclosed was a Reimbursement Form for those that paid for repairs. I look at it as get out of jail card if it goes bad again before Feb 28 20l7 Cadillac will fix it N/C. I think Cadillac stepped. up to the plate. No complaints here. Now I hope they address the water in headlights issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.