Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC. in Cadillac SRX Forums; I had similar Navigation/stereo issues with a few other quirky issues. The dealer (Moore) reflashed/reprogrammed the system and it was ...
    scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD

Re: Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

I had similar Navigation/stereo issues with a few other quirky issues. The dealer (Moore) reflashed/reprogrammed the system and it was good for a while, but eventually came back. They finally replaced the entire system. My wife drives the vehicle daily. I'll check with her, but I think the system has been fine since the replacement was installed.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Here we go again. I took my SRX in for an oil change, tire rotation, and state inspection. While I was at it, I decided to ask them to update the software to U415 which is supposed to be the latest. Why or why or why did I ever dare to do that?!! I should be horse-whipped for asking for a software upgrade. As usual, now I've got problems again that they HAD ALREADY FIXED BEFORE.

My SRX is back to Washington, D.C. again in the Nav.
    It won't remember the last favorite it was on in the Radio.
    The Nav warning screen shows up every time you push the Nav button.

All of these problems where resolved and working beautifully with U413 and now I'm screwed again.

I can't wait to get rid of this POS vehicle. I will never buy another GM product.

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Thanks for the heads up Steve. That's one update I won't be rushing to get.

It looks like we'll be dealing with software updates for the life of the vehicle, or at least until the next generation is released and they stop software development for this one. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Sube

I just got a call from the service manager at my dealership for my upcoming visit to straighten this mess out. He seemed absolutely puzzled by U415 would have broken things that were already fixed. He claims they have two "world class" GM techs at their dealership. He said they would do whatever it takes to straighten it out. I asked him why they don't check to see if previous problems reported by the customer and previously fixed are not regression tested to make sure nothing is broken. There was silence for a while until he finally admitted that they were trying to move as many cars through the service area as possible and just didn't have the time to do that. I told him that ultimately this type of thing would drive customers away and give the product a bad rap.

I'm expecting they'll not be able to fix my SRX tomorrow even though I'm dropping it off at 7:00AM. They'll want to keep it over the weekend. Of course, nobody works over the weekend so it will just sit there.

They joys of Cadillac ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I just got a call from the service manager at my dealership for my upcoming visit to straighten this mess out. He seemed absolutely puzzled by U415 would have broken things that were already fixed.
    I don't necessarily think it's the update itself as much as the way it was installed. I remember way back shortly after I bought my car the service manager told me their computer system was outdated and that software updates took forever and weren't always reliable. The computers would disconnect mid-way during download/installation of software, causing a failure. Supposedly, those computers were replaced. But that was my dealership. What about all of the other Cadillac dealers? Who's to say which ones still use obsolete computers. Just imagine losing power in the middle of installing a Windows Service Pack. What also makes me think it was the installation is the fact that I'm assuming all 2012's already have U415. If that was the issue, I would think we'd be hearing about mass problems and U417 would already be out. Just some food for thought.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    I don't necessarily think it's the update itself as much as the way it was installed. I remember way back shortly after I bought my car the service manager told me their computer system was outdated and that software updates took forever and weren't always reliable. The computers would disconnect mid-way during download/installation of software, causing a failure. Supposedly, those computers were replaced. But that was my dealership. What about all of the other Cadillac dealers? Who's to say which ones still use obsolete computers. Just imagine losing power in the middle of installing a Windows Service Pack. What also makes me think it was the installation is the fact that I'm assuming all 2012's already have U415. If that was the issue, I would think we'd be hearing about mass problems and U417 would already be out. Just some food for thought.

Sube
    I got a call this afternoon to come pick up my car. They let me know it wasn't fixed yet because no matter what they did the software update would not "take". They even claimed they were on the phone with GM techs and that they finally decided the Nav/Radio unit was "logic locked". They have ordered a new Nav/Radio that should be here early next week.

This will the the 2nd Nav/Radio replacement since I bought the damned thing and I only have 12,800 miles on it.

I have absolutely no confidence in my dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager today and he was a nice enough guy. I explained to him what would happen in my industry if we put out software updates like they did--we'd be out of business.

My first and only Cadillac "experience" is not one I'm going to repeat.

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Sounds like we have taken similar paths. U415 was bad news on ours - so they replace the unit and it comes with 413 and all is good (so far).

Wait, tonight the clocks spring forward. This could be trouble.......again.....

I got a call this afternoon to come pick up my car. They let me know it wasn't fixed yet because no matter what they did the software update would not "take". They even claimed they were on the phone with GM techs and that they finally decided the Nav/Radio unit was "logic locked". They have ordered a new Nav/Radio that should be here early next week.

This will the the 2nd Nav/Radio replacement since I bought the damned thing and I only have 12,800 miles on it.

I have absolutely no confidence in my dealership anymore. I talked to the service manager today and he was a nice enough guy. I explained to him what would happen in my industry if we put out software updates like they did--we'd be out of business.

My first and only Cadillac "experience" is not one I'm going to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post
    Sounds like we have taken similar paths. U415 was bad news on ours - so they replace the unit and it comes with 413 and all is good (so far).

Wait, tonight the clocks spring forward. This could be trouble.......again.....
    Andy, I work in the software business and generally speaking, you always want to have the latest version installed because it supposedly fixes all known problems to date. But apparently that isn't true in the car world. I had no problems with U413 on my SRX and I had to go and ask for U415 because I just happened to be there for an oil change. Bad move on my part. From now on, I'm never asking for a software upgrade if everything is working. To me this whole thing is just crazy. I work on stock trading software and if we put out a bad version that causes a customer to lose money, WE PAY FOR THEIR LOSS. Needless to say, we are extremely careful and regression test the hell out of it. If a problem is found a day or two after we deploy a new release, we immediately revert back to the previous version until we can track down the problem. I have never seen such touchy software as what's in the SRX. If my next car (and it won't be GM) has these sorts of issues, I'll be back here in this forum to offer up a big apology to everyone who's had to listen to me go through these trials and tribulations.

Sorry to hear that your U415 upgrade was problematic too.

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You're right, it's absolutely crazy that software updates make things worse and that they need to replace HARDWARE in order to rectify software issues. It's as if navigation and clock operation are cutting edge technologies that just hit the market. Baffling!

OK, I stand corrected. With more than one case, apparently it "is" the software itself, and not the installation. I'd just assumed any new software updates go through rigorous testing before being unleashed onto the public. Silly me for making such a logical assumption.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    OK, I stand corrected. With more than one case, apparently it "is" the software itself, and not the installation. I'd just assumed any new software updates go through rigorous testing before being unleashed onto the public. Silly me for making such a logical assumption.

Sube
    At my current employer that is certainly true, but then, there could be millions of $$ at stake. However, I have worked places where the testing was not even close to the level of scrutiny we put it through. Sometimes they just throw it over the wall to shut up a bunch of screaming customers only to find out they have a new bunch of screaming customers because the fix broke something different. That kind of software is too tightly coupled and not modular enough. When you have a bunch of side effects as the result of a change, the architecture of the software is bad or weak.

I am not saying this is the case here because without seeing the code and design documents, I would be guessing. But it has definitely made me gun shy of pulling the trigger on future updates.

It has definitely made me gun shy of pulling the trigger on future updates.
    You and me both. I would like to know how long GM spends testing these updates before implementation. Can anyone out there answer that question? GMJim perhaps?

Sube

You won't believe it! I have a self-healing SRX. I kid you not! I drove for about 30 minutes to the other end of town to visit a friend. When I came out from his house about 2 hours later. I started up the SRX and the Nav screen stayed in the down position (where I had last left it), the State still said Texas, the Nav did not give me that ugly warning screen, and my last selected radio station was still playing. I thought, nah, this has to be a fluke. Lo and behold I got up this morning and it was all still OK and even when I left work for home this afternoon it was OK.

I have no explanation for this except divine intervention. Really!!

I called my dealership and told my service adviser and he and his manager were as mystified as I am. They said they were going to "sit" on the new Nav/Radio for a month just in case my situation reverts.
    MacMuse and MacMuse like this.

Bizarre!!! Oh well, maybe your car was tired of running back and forth to the dealer and decided to fix itself.

Sube
    MacMuse and MacMuse like this.

You won't believe it! I have a self-healing SRX. I kid you not! I drove for about 30 minutes to the other end of town to visit a friend. When I came out from his house about 2 hours later. I started up the SRX and the Nav screen stayed in the down position (where I had last left it), the State still said Texas, the Nav did not give me that ugly warning screen, and my last selected radio station was still playing. I thought, nah, this has to be a fluke. Lo and behold I got up this morning and it was all still OK and even when I left work for home this afternoon it was OK.

I have no explanation for this except divine intervention. Really!!

I called my dealership and told my service adviser and he and his manager were as mystified as I am. They said they were going to "sit" on the new Nav/Radio for a month just in case my situation reverts.

I guess my self-healing SRX has had a relapse. The Nav has managed to reset the State to Washington D.C., AGAIN! It was doing so well by hanging on to Texas for weeks after the U415 software upgrade. But, I'm tired of fighting this battle. I am not making another trip to the dealership to get YANU (Yet Another Navigation Unit) since I'm already on my 2nd (or is it 3rd). As little as I use the Nav, I'll just type in the state every time and be done with it. I'm can't wait to hear how the new CUE performs. I won't be buying a car with it but I'll sure be interested in following its release.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.