Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

72K views 198 replies 57 participants last post by  BillDonna 
#1 ·
Apparently we're not the only ones with this issue, hence my reaching out to see if anyone else here has had the problem. Essentially, the time in the nav display itself resets itself to about -7hrs of the present EST anytime you shut the car off and come back to it. As well, when you go to enter an address into the nav, the default location is Washington, DC. So you have to re-enter your city, state, etc every time. And everytime you reset the clock to the proper time, it reverts the next time you start the car. I have also noticed the nav acting a little funky a couple of times, for example, we got back in the car after dinner out one night and according to the screen we were driving in the complete opposite direction for about 2 miles. It finally caught itself and showed us back on track, but that was a bit odd.

Anyways, so the car is in the shop. They've had it since last Tuesday but didn't touch it until Monday of this week (awesome huh!). And what we're hearing is that they've been in touch with GM because reprogramming this nav / computer system is not easy. They even threw a whole new physical nav unit at it today (supposedly), to no avail. So they'll have another tech helping tomorrow to see if he can figure out the reprogramming, if not, then they go back to talk to GM I guess - and it sits there for who knows how much longer.

So for the one or two techs lurking here, have you seen this issue or something like it? Is the navi so complicated that there's not a set protocol for resetting/reprogramming everything?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

See less See more
#118 ·
My Turn - Nav Defaults to Washington DC

I have a 2011 Luxury SRX. Just a few days ago I tried to enter a destination in the nav and noticed the state indicated I was in Washington DC. I had to change it to my actual location and the nav worked fine from there on. However, the problem has persisted. I don't really want to search all the threads here for an answer but seems I recall the dealership had to update the software, right? I now have two problems for the dealer to take care of. My other problem is the driver door does not lock when the transmission shifts to "drive". All the other doors lock automatically but not the driver's door. I've got less than a year remaining on my lease and this is the first problems I've had with the car.

#120 ·
Re: My Turn - Nav Defaults to Washington DC

yup, they will want to update the software. This probably won't fix it (even if you need the update). They will have to replace the radio. Just had mine done a few weeks ago. You are probably having some other issues with the radio 'forgetting' various settings....

#121 ·

Get ready for a total fiasco. I've had my Nav/Radio unit replaced TWICE over these issues and my 2010 SRX only has 21K miles on it. I'm out of warranty come Jan 2014 and I plan on being out of this car by then too. I would love to see a dollar figure that I would have paid out of pocket for all the warranty repairs I've had done on this vehicle. Just last week I was in for the trim around the mirror falling off. That was the 3rd time I had to have that fixed even though I was told the last time that the fix was a total redesign of the part. Yeah right! I'd redesign that engineer's job into a pink slip.

I can clearly see why Consumer Reports rates this car's "predicted reliability" as fair/poor.

#122 ·

Etexlady, I'm sorry to hear about your concerns and would like you to know I'm available if you want me to investigate further on your behalf or contact your dealer at any point. Please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I can always investigate your next steps with you.

Stevec, are you still experiencing concerns after your frustration last week? If you would like me to document your feedback or research concerns on your behalf, don't hesitate to email me at the email address above.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#123 ·

Thanks, Katie. Unlike Stevec, I have had a very good experience with my SRX. The only warranty service I have had up until now, other than the recalls, was for a humidity filter replacement (?) that was keeping my AC from cooling properly. My lease is up in less than a year and I expect to replace my current SRX with another when the time comes.

#126 ·
Radio & Clock Issues 2010 SRX

Just got the car a few weeks ago. Radio comes on when I start the car whethere I want it on or not.. Tried everything(turned auto volume off; turned off the radio while engine running; turned off the radio when the engine was off). Got out of car and got back in; turned on the engine and the radio comes on. Also digital clock will not stay on correct time. Set it per manual (NAV model) and its fine. Turn off engine and come back later and clock is several hours off. I heard per this forum that a software update might work. Haven't contacted the dealer yet.

#131 ·
Re: Radio & Clock Issues 2010 SRX

Just got the car a few weeks ago. Radio comes on when I start the car whethere I want it on or not.. Tried everything(turned auto volume off; turned off the radio while engine running; turned off the radio when the engine was off). Got out of car and got back in; turned on the engine and the radio comes on. Also digital clock will not stay on correct time. Set it per manual (NAV model) and its fine. Turn off engine and come back later and clock is several hours off. I heard per this forum that a software update might work. Haven't contacted the dealer yet.
Hello carybrent,

I understand how these issues can be annoying when dealing with your vehicle. I see you are willing to work with a dealership towards a possible resolution. Other members have offered great advice on the situation. Please let me know if you decide to take it into a dealership. I would like to stay involved throughout the process. I can also be reached via private message so we can continue our interaction that way.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer service

----------

my suggestion if they want to try the software upgrade 1st is to schedule an appointment to have it done while-you-wait (takes about an hour), then try it in the parking lot (you'll need to shut off/lock the car, leave it for at least 15 mins, then see if it lost the settings). This way *when* the software fix doesn't work you won't have to drive back out to the dealership. Insist on the radio replacement. It's really the only way.

While I have also had my radio replaced, as well as some other minor items, overall I am very pleased with my 2010 SRX. Once these bugs were worked out it is a very enjoyable vehicle.
Hello davedogcaddy,

Thanks for sharing this information with the community. I am happy to hear you are pleased with your 2010 SRX after bugs were worked out. You should definitely be able to enjoy your Cadillac :)

Laura M.

#127 ·
This is a known issue (by user's anyway) and warrants a unit replacement in order to fix the radio. The dealer wants to update you a couple of times first, but it likely won't fix the issue.

#128 ·
my suggestion if they want to try the software upgrade 1st is to schedule an appointment to have it done while-you-wait (takes about an hour), then try it in the parking lot (you'll need to shut off/lock the car, leave it for at least 15 mins, then see if it lost the settings). This way *when* the software fix doesn't work you won't have to drive back out to the dealership. Insist on the radio replacement. It's really the only way.

While I have also had my radio replaced, as well as some other minor items, overall I am very pleased with my 2010 SRX. Once these bugs were worked out it is a very enjoyable vehicle.

Reactions: stevec5375
#129 ·

Replacement is the only way. I had to have my Nav/Radio replace TWICE before they got it right. Often what happens is they upgrade the firmware in the Nav/Radio but for whatever reason the flashing procedure doesn't work or it isn't stored. Then after the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) of 15 minutes passes, the Nav/Radio reverts. One thing to be aware of is that even if they replace the Nav/Radio they still need to flash it with the latest firmware if it doesn't already have it.

#130 ·
yes, this is a good point about making sure the new radio has the latest firmware, the great thing is YOU can check their work on this via the menus on the radio! The first time they 'did the update' they actually hadn't...still had the old firmware on it. They swore they ran all the updates, but I had to sit down with their tech and show him the TSB (even tough I TRIED to get them to look at the TSB to start with "oh we don't need to look at that"). Then the tech was like "Oh, it's a USB update!" :thepan:

#137 ·
Hello etexlady,

Are you experiencing current issues with your radio/nav system and thinking about taking your vehicle into a dealership? I am more than happy to stay involved throughout this process if you are experiencing issues. I can be reached via private message so we can continue our interaction and further discuss anything you would like.

Laura M.

#141 ·
Re: Gps

Same thing happened to my 2010 SRX and to many more also, it seems to be a common fault, take it to the dealer, they will try and update the software and when that fails they will put a new unit it your vehicle under warrenty so long as it has not expired. Best of luck.

#142 ·
Re: Gps

Robert this is a well known issue on the '10 and '11 SRX's. A quick search brings up many threads, the most helpful being this one (I will merge this one into).
Please search a topic before starting a new post.

#145 ·
So long as your 2010 is under 50k miles and 48 months old you are golden take it to the dealer and get a new radio installed, if you are out of warranty go cry to the dealer and see what he can do, tell him how long you have been having the issue and see what the outcome is.
Best of luck

#146 ·
I have a 2010 Premium I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I just noticed I have the clock reset issues (It just stays on eastern Time)
Navigation doesn't save favorites. Otherwise it works great. Firmware was 306 and I took it to Bellevue Cadillac to see if they could update it to Firmware 415. They said they scanned the radio and there is an internal short in it and the firmware update won't fix the problem. They said the only fix is a new radio at over $2,000 since I am 3 months past the 4 year warranty.
$2,000+ for a radio? I wish I would have bought the Lexus RX350 Vin 3GYFNFEY9AS503124

#148 · (Edited)
So after finding out it would be close to $2,000 to repair the radio since I am past the 4 years but still only 32,000 miles I am going to just take my losses and trade it in on a 2011 Lexus RX350. I lose $4,000 by trading it in but I gain the $2,000 by letting the next guy fix the radio. Lessons learned.

I also want to thank Cadillac Customer service for looking into this for me. The fact that they tried meant a lot. Unfortunately they were unable to come up with any kind of discount to help me out with what seems to be a common 2010 SRX problem. It was still nice that they were there at least offering to help.

#150 ·
I honestly hope that is the final solution for you - but for those of us who have dealt with the issue before, a hardware replacement was the only solution (after trying software/firmware updates). Hang on to that receipt should things change in the future.

#151 ·
It is just a computer running a glorified program with a few push button dip switches. If the hard drive and memory and motherboard are okay then it is usually a corrupt software issue. bad hardware should make it crash and stop completely. No different than a laptop running windows that acts up and the first thing they want you to do is reinstall the software.
So far today it is still 100% Saves all favorites in navigation and radio. Defaults to my homes state and the digital clock is correct. I'll set up the phone later.

#153 ·
The service director told me they get paid $X to R&R a radio under warranty. No more no less. They order one in and they swap the radio out. They don't always arrive with Firmware 415 sometimes an earlier version.
Two hours to update the firmware but that has to be another warranty claim after the radio is replaced. Cadillac wants to see if the radio works before they authorize the firmware upgrade.
Most dealerships just keep swapping radios out until they find one that works.

#154 ·
I'm sure these Nav/Radio units are supplied by a 3rd party. Boy, I sure would like to know who it is that made these. GM's rushing the SRX to market before it was truly "debugged" has probably cost them a lot of $$. I know it has cost them at least one customer, me. I won't be buying GM anymore after this first attempt on the 2010 SRX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.