Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC. in Cadillac SRX Forums; Ours did the same as well. We just completed a 2500 mile trip, and basically had to re-enter the addresses ...
    wag 42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 SRX4 2.8T Premium-Platinum Ice-Chrome Tech-RSE

Re: Nav / programming issue - clock resets and location defaults to Wash, DC.

Ours did the same as well. We just completed a 2500 mile trip, and basically had to re-enter the addresses each time we had the car off for more than 15 minutes. It was a total pain.

Dropped it off last night for service, we'll see how it goes...

Andy_TN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This just never ends....

They keep "updating" the Nav (or so they think) but we continue to have an issue - mainly that the nav will not acquire satellite signal until SEVERAL minutes of driving. It continues to default to Washington, DC when going to destination. Now they're telling us that the Washington DC thing is just "the way it is" on these SRX and CTS models. I think we've now taken it in 4 times for this exact same issue. I'm leaving out quite a bit of the story, but the bottom line here is that they still can't get this figured out and now they're trying to tell us that it's normal for Washington DC to be the default destination.

I'd just like to know if anyone out there has an ABNORMALLY functioning nav - you know, one that does NOT default to Washington??

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_TN View Post
    This just never ends....

They keep "updating" the Nav (or so they think) but we continue to have an issue - mainly that the nav will not acquire satellite signal until SEVERAL minutes of driving. It continues to default to Washington, DC when going to destination. Now they're telling us that the Washington DC thing is just "the way it is" on these SRX and CTS models. I think we've now taken it in 4 times for this exact same issue. I'm leaving out quite a bit of the story, but the bottom line here is that they still can't get this figured out and now they're trying to tell us that it's normal for Washington DC to be the default destination.

I'd just like to know if anyone out there has an ABNORMALLY functioning nav - you know, one that does NOT default to Washington??
    This makes my blood boil, and it's not even my car. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Some of these service departments have two infamous policies. "We don't know what the problem is, so let's blame the customer" and "We don't know what the problem is, so let's say it's normal". THIS IS NOT NORMAL, and don't let them BS you into thinking it is. Ask them if that's true, then why don't they all do this. Mine defaults to my home state and always has. They keep updating your Nav to avoid a much more costly correct repair......replacement of the Nav system. After giving them this many tries, you need to insist that they replace the entire Nav system. Just read the posts from Delores above. I'm sure she'll attest to the fact that replacement is the only option that works.

Sube

Jake2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX - Premium - Black Raven / Titanium - Chrome Tech

Hi All,

It's funny that I have read this thread and others like it (concerning the Nav issue) and always thought "glad that weird stuff isn't happening to me"... well guess what? Yep, my Nav is acting funny, here are the symptoms:

* Warning splash screen every time I turn on the car.
    * State is defaulting to Washington, DC
    * Time is right
    * Radio presets are ok
    * XM radio started working (I never renewed it)

Any one think the XM radio and the Nav issue are related?

Sube.... I remembering you saying you can set your default location somewhere through the navigation menu. I poked around in the config menu and couldn't find it. Do you happen to remember how you do it? I'd like to take a look and see what it is, I don't expect it to fix the issue though, sounds like a new Nav unit is the only way. So XM and Washington,DC or New Jersey and nothing?

Thanks!

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2010 View Post
    Sube.... I remembering you saying you can set your default location somewhere through the navigation menu. I poked around in the config menu and couldn't find it. Do you happen to remember how you do it? Thanks!
    Hmmmmm......I don't remember saying that. I don't deny it. I just don't remember saying it. Can you find that post so I can figure out what I was talking about? I just now went out and checked the car. I can't find any place to set the default location. When I go to enter an address destination, it displays the last state I entered, which is not necessarily my home state. That state remains until I change it. But whatever state I select, it stays in the memory each time I restart the car.

Sube

Quote Originally Posted by sube5186 View Post
    Hmmmmm......I don't remember saying that. I don't deny it. I just don't remember saying it. Can you find that post so I can figure out what I was talking about? I just now went out and checked the car. I can't find any place to set the default location. When I go to enter an address destination, it displays the last state I entered, which is not necessarily my home state. That state remains until I change it. But whatever state I select, it stays in the memory each time I restart the car.

Sube
    You're right Sube, you didn't say that. After reading multiple threads concerning this with pages and pages of posts, everything starts to run together. You mentioned resetting to factory defaults from the config menu... not setting a default location. Sorry, and thanks for checking in your car! I also was looking and didn't find anything. I think I need a new nav unit, my symptoms are similar to others having the problem except my XM starting working. Maybe the others were subscribers so they wouldn't have noticed anything different. Will have it checked-out at next oil change.

Thanks!

wag 42 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 SRX4 2.8T Premium-Platinum Ice-Chrome Tech-RSE

We had ours reprogrammed about 3 weeks ago, and whatever they did, it seemed to work. No more default to Washington DC, and it saves the addresses we added to the address book. So far, so good...

rtsittner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Premium AWD in Graphite Metallic

Jake2010 - the very same thing happened to me. My navi was working fine and then three days ago, I start the car and the screen didn't rise up. I pressed the navigation button and the warning splash screen appeared. All appeared normal. When I restarted the car later that same day, the same thing happened. I went into the Destination function and the State/Province was listed as Washington DC. Yesterday, I pulled the power from the battery for another project and when I started the car, the screen popped right up. Once I set my preferences, it has not gone back to DC and the warning splash screen has not appeared with each ignition cycle.

Odd...

Quote Originally Posted by rtsittner View Post
    Jake2010 - the very same thing happened to me. My navi was working fine and then three days ago, I start the car and the screen didn't rise up. I pressed the navigation button and the warning splash screen appeared. All appeared normal. When I restarted the car later that same day, the same thing happened. I went into the Destination function and the State/Province was listed as Washington DC. Yesterday, I pulled the power from the battery for another project and when I started the car, the screen popped right up. Once I set my preferences, it has not gone back to DC and the warning splash screen has not appeared with each ignition cycle.

Odd...
    Thanks for the info! Glad everything worked out for you. To make things even stranger, my problem seems to have fixed itself - so I'm happy! Everything is working fine now and I have no more free XM radio, the warning splash screen doesn't come up every ignition cycle and the state doesn't default to Washington DC anymore. It's interesting that it's Washington DC, I think XM's headquarters is in DC - maybe it's related.

Jake

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

Check your current map database version under the Nav key selection. If its not U413 it needs the updated USB firmware installed and SPS programming.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssconv View Post
    Check your current map database version under the Nav key selection. If its not U413 it needs the updated USB firmware installed and SPS programming.
    So what if the current map DB version is not U413 and one is not having this problem?

I would get the update installed next time you take it in for service, it usually takes anywhere from 35 minutes up to 1.5 hrs depending on if the programming goes through the first time without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssconv View Post
    I would get the update installed next time you take it in for service, it usually takes anywhere from 35 minutes up to 1.5 hrs depending on if the programming goes through the first time without any issues.
    My dealer refuses to put updates on the car unless I can specifically point to a problem that needs to be fixed. Also, I admit I know absolutely nothing about fixing these new computer-controller cars, but I don't understand why updating the "map DB" would fix the location default being remembered. Their first attempt to fix this was to replace the entire Nav/Radio unit. It worked for a while then it was back to Washington D.C. I took it back in again and they fixed it once more. They said that when the Nav/Radio was replaced that they failed to update the software to the latest version.

GM charges $299 for a DVD to update the Nav DB. So it confuses me why updating the Nav DB would fix a memory problem unless they share the same software.

OK. I stand corrected. Yesterday when I was stopped in my car, I checked the config and I do indeed have DB update U413. So apparently there is some connection. I had no idea they had updated that when they did the last software upgrade. <blush>

The update we install at the dealer is for software/firmware issues. It fixes concerns that GM engineering has identified. It does not update the streets on your navigation. We check the current version and if it has U306 we install the updates to U413. Only way to do that is through gmnavdisc.com which they charge for the updated maps. Hope this helps your confusion

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    OK. I stand corrected. Yesterday when I was stopped in my car, I checked the config and I do indeed have DB update U413. So apparently there is some connection. I had no idea they had updated that when they did the last software upgrade. <blush>

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.