Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Loss of memory from drivers seat

16K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  2ndprimetime 
#1 ·
About every 2-3 days I loose the stored memory from the drivers seat which is not the end of the world but annoying. When I bring it to the dealer they say that they tested the module but can not duplicate this problem . Therefore nothing can be done. Does anyone have this same problem? What I would like to do is show the dealership a list from this forum of others that do have this problem.

#2 ·
Oh Yes...
I just passed the one year mark, and I have had this problem since day one!
Not only does it "forget" what is stored in positions 1 and 2 on the drivers seat, it also forgets the last position by which key fob is used.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=32818

You are correct, it is not the end of the world, however, I would like to get into my $45,000 vehicle and not get pissed off because there are two drivers and I have to reset my seats and mirrors EVERY TIME I DRIVE IT...

#3 ·
I wonder why mine has never had this problem, even though lately i've been moving the seat around a lot, just to test it. :hmm:

#5 ·
And just so we are clear on proper procedures:

1. Adjust seats to liking
2. SAve settings by holding the "1" button
3. Exit Vehicle (seat returns to exit position if set in config)
4. Lock Vehicle
5. Unlock Vehicle
6. Open Door
7. Seat should return to Custom Setting <==== are you saying this does not happen????

It works fine on mine.

#10 ·
I have had my SRX for almost a year and I have had problems with the seat memory also since day one. I have had it in to the dealor on many occassions and the last time they replaced the seat module. It seemed to be better for a while but I'm now having problems again. I have notice that when it "forgets" it's setting, if I move the seat forward about 1 to 2 inches then press the button (1 or 2) again, it will move to the correct memory setting.

#14 ·
I have noticed that when it "forgets" it's setting, if I move the seat forward about 1 to 2 inches then press the button (1 or 2) again, it will move to the correct memory setting.
Exactly the same problem and results for one of my seat problems, the other is sometimes when exiting the vehicle you can hear the seat memory beep, which tells you that you have just set/reset the seat memory, which of course wipes out one of the existing ones.

This is all random, it can work fine for days at a time, or screw up everyday...

#11 ·
Ours works fine, I just don't like the way it works, so I have exit seating turned off. It drives me nuts that the seats moves to the driving position BEFORE you enter the car. Our 08 CTS, the seat didn't move forward to driving position, till you started the car.

#12 ·
I love the Exit Seating, but I turn OFF Memory Seat Return! As u said, who wants the seat to move forward before you're in it! I just press the Memory button after I'm seated. BUT WHY couldn't they make it a One Touch, like the windows??? Gotta hold it for 5 seconds to get everything into place What a pain after by 2004 SRX and 2008 Enclave both had one touch! Sheesh...............

SS

#13 ·
I love the Exit Seating, but I turn OFF Memory Seat Return! As u said, who wants the seat to move forward before you're in it! I just press the Memory button after I'm seated. BUT WHY couldn't they make it a One Touch, like the windows??? Gotta hold it for 5 seconds to get everything into place What a pain after by 2004 SRX and 2008 Enclave both had one touch! Sheesh...............

SS
Lowest bidder perhaps?

#15 ·
The 2011 owner's manual has additional information on seats and memory below.

If I'm understanding this issue correctly, it happens when
(1) Exit Seating is enabled
(2) Seat Memory recall is enabled
At unknown random intervals, the seat does not return to the memory position when the vehicle is unlocked. Do I have this right?

Is everyone using the same remote all the time, or might you be switching them up?

Recalling RKE Memory Positions (Memory Remote Recall)
The Memory Remote Recall feature can recall the driver seat, outside mirrors, and adjustable pedals, if available, to previously stored RKE Memory positions when entering the vehicle.
Every time the ignition is placed in OFF, the positions of the driver seat, outside mirrors, and adjustable pedals, if available, are automatically stored to the RKE transmitter that was used to start the vehicle.
These positions are called RKE Memory positions and may be different than the previously mentioned Button Memory positions saved to the “1” or “2” buttons.
To automatically recall RKE Memory positions, unlock the driver door with the RKE transmitter, and open the driver door. On vehicles with Keyless Access, opening the driver door when an RKE transmitter is present will activate the RKE Memory recall. If the driver door is already open, pressing the RKE transmitter unlock button will also activate the RKE Memory recall. The driver seat, outside mirrors, and pedals, if available, will move to the previously saved RKE Memory positions.
This feature is turned on or off using the vehicle personalization menu.
See “Memory Remote Recall” under Vehicle Personalization on page 5‑40 for more information.
To stop recall movement, press one of the memory, power mirror, or power seat controls, or the adjustable pedal switch, if available.
If something has blocked the driver seat and/or the adjustable pedals, if available, while recalling a memory position, the recall may stop. Remove the obstruction; then press and hold the appropriate manual control for the memory item that is not recalling for two seconds.
Try recalling the memory position again by opening the driver door and pressing the RKE transmitter unlock button. If the memory position is still not recalling, see your dealer for service.

#16 ·
Thanks for this print out. For me however, all this has been tried. IT works for a short period of time and for no apparent reason the memory is lost. When I bring it to the service department, nothing can be reproduced when testing out the module. Which is this problem therefore they don't want to repair anything until it can be reproduced Catch 22.

#18 ·
i have had this problem for about 7 months on and off ,I have taken it to the dealer 5 times and it still is not fixed,they said they reprogrammed it and also changed the module I am picking the car up from the dealer tomorrow.I have brought the car to the dealer for this and a bunch of other problems since I got the vehicle its been at the dealer for a total of 6 weeks on and off at different times.

#22 ·
I am a life long GM owner, and purchased a 2009 CTS last year for my wife, and a 2010 SRX for me this year. These are our first cadillacs. The CTS is flawless. The SRX has been nothing but a repair and service nightmare. However, in most of my GM vehicles, the memory seating has lost the memory from time to time. This is something I have come to accept. In the SRX case, I have seen where the posiiton of the program buttons on the seat make them easy to push with your leg as you exit or enter the car. So I wander if this is the case sometimes?

#23 ·
I am a life long GM owner, and purchased a 2009 CTS last year for my wife, and a 2010 SRX for me this year. These are our first cadillacs. The CTS is flawless. The SRX has been nothing but a repair and service nightmare. However, in most of my GM vehicles, the memory seating has lost the memory from time to time. This is something I have come to accept. In the SRX case, I have seen where the posiiton of the program buttons on the seat make them easy to push with your leg as you exit or enter the car. So I wander if this is the case sometimes?
Given the ever-increasing girth of some American thighs (gasp), it should not be surprising if this is the case. :lildevil:

#26 ·
Guys - I'm no expert, and you're all living with this issue everyday - so I do suggest you leverage your dealer as appropriate.

Anyways....in regards to the seat memory.
-There was a software update released during the 2010MY for seat memory issues.
-There was a module update to address issues with Premium Collection cars that have passive entry.

-YOU MUST HAVE "Memory Remote Recall" enabled in the "Remote Lock/Unlock/Start" menu under Vehicle Personalization if you want your seat to always be in your desired position. This returns the seat to the position it was in when last used with a specific remote.
-The seat position recalled using this feature has nothing to do with the Memory 1 or 2 positions you can save on the actual seat.

If somebody else drives your car "with your remote", and moves the seat - either manually or by pressing a memory button. It will be in this position when you return with the same remote.

If you are using the "Easy Exit Driver Seat" - which is set under the "Comfort and Convenience" menu, you need to also enable the "memory remote recall" feature if you want the seat back in the driving position when you open the door. Again, you have to use the same remote as when you exited the vehicle, as this is how the car remembers where to return the seat.

As far as the memory button losing its memory, as previously stated, it is possible for the seat side cushion to deform and hit the button when you exit the vehicle. You will hear a "beep" when this occurs.

LarryK - I know you've had ongoing issues, and would appreciate if you'd let us all know if you (a) have had the required updates, and (b) what settings do you use under Personalization, and (c) you use the same fob, and don't share?

Geez...seems like one needs a PhD to figure this out...

#29 ·
LarryK - I know you've had ongoing issues, and would appreciate if you'd let us all know if you (a) have had the required updates, and (b) what settings do you use under Personalization, and (c) you use the same fob, and don't share?

Geez...seems like one needs a PhD to figure this out...
The last time I had it in was 3/19/10, and at that time it had all of the software patches applied...
Memory Recall is enabled, as is easy exit.
The system does work, when it wants to, we have bets - will it or won't it!
Some days it works perfectly, and other days it suffers from "CRS".
I think that Premium SRX's with only one driver do not have these problems, but if there are two drivers, it just gets confused, which really ticks me off, as I have spent my career in the computer industry, and there is no excuse for these problems - setting/resetting your seat position has been around for a long time, this is not a new idea...
I'll stop now, as I get ticked off every time I think about it, you should not pissed off every time you think about your luxury car - Thanks Cadillac...

#30 ·
I finally brought mine in to the dealer a few weeks ago and mentioned some of the comments I have read on this thread. I think that convinced them to go ahead and replace the seat module. Since then, the remote memory recall has worked flawlessly with two drivers. We bought our SRX in late June, so I am curious if we had the original seat module and they replaced it with the upgraded one. So far, so good, though. Hope it stays working.

#33 ·
Some specific PI's to reference:
#PI0187A: Remote Memory Seat Recall Intermittent Operation or Inoperative - (Aug 26, 2010) <-Calls for a new driver's seat adjuster memory module and calibration.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when using the key fob to unlock the doors or opening the door on vehicles with passive entry (RPO ATH), the remote memory seat recall feature is inoperative.

#PIT4913B: Memory Seat Recall Inoperative From Key Fob - (Mar 11, 2010)
Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment that intermittently the memory seat will not recall when using the key fob, but will operate after using the memory 1 or 2 buttons on the driver's seat trim or after using the other key fob. This concern will only occur after the power seat is manually adjusted using the power seat switch.

#34 ·
I really hate to resurrect this long dead thread, but does anyone know if these PIs still stand for 2012s?

I use the passive entry mode, and have easy exit and remote key recall turned on. every 5 or 6 times I get in my car, the seat goes to some crazy position, mirrors are pointing at the ground, etc. I am the only driver and I always use the same fob. I programmed my preferred settings into the memory button, which seems to work getting things back to proper settings, but it still is a pain. I had the same problem on my Trailblazer, and just lived with it (since it was out of warranty) and I so looked forward to the seat memory working again.

#35 ·
I haven't experienced the issue you've noted on my 12 SRX....... However, apparently what you've described is a known issue. A new software update exists to correct it. I'm waiting for confirmation on whether it's available for dealers to access yet.

Kudos to you for actually reading the owners manual and understanding how all the features work! I finally forced myself to read it too.

#36 ·
I still have my Memory Seat issues, that have existed since I picked up the car on 9/1/09. My vehicle has been back to the dealer for service six (6) times, and I have had three (3) cases with Cadillac Customer Service about it (absolutely useless). The last time I made an appointment to have the newest software patches applied, I questioned the ability of their tech's to actually repair the problem, and I was told that I could always take my SRX to another Cadillac dealer, thanks - that's really the answer? My dealer is Findlay Cadillac, Las Vegas, makes me really want to buy another Cadillac from them...
All I want is to have my seats/mirrors adjust to each driver - consistently! Is that to much to ask?

#37 ·
You're too passive. I would have called Cadillac Customer Service and given them an earful. I would have filed a bad report with the Better Business Bureau about the dealership. And if your state's Lemon Law is like ours here in TX, after returning to service for the 3rd time over the SAME problem, you're eligible to file for that as well. It's true that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." And buddy, I'm a squeaker when someone tries to abuse me.

#38 · (Edited)
What is normal ? I traded in my 2011 cts for a 2013 srx. Setting the seat memory was no problem it is also set for easy exit. When you get in and start it doesn't go to either setting it goes all the way forward and all the way up. Press number 1 won't move the seat (1 is all the way back and all the way back) start doing it manually then it will do it. Shut the car off and easy exit works. Now driver 2 works mostly but easy exit never works. So what is normal seat travel all the way up when starting and easy exit only working for driver 1. Before I take it back to the dealer I need some clue as to normal with easy exit and when you start the vehicle

#41 ·
Does this post right here not answer your question?

The 2011 owner's manual has additional information on seats and memory below.

If I'm understanding this issue correctly, it happens when
(1) Exit Seating is enabled
(2) Seat Memory recall is enabled
At unknown random intervals, the seat does not return to the memory position when the vehicle is unlocked. Do I have this right?

Is everyone using the same remote all the time, or might you be switching them up?

Recalling RKE Memory Positions (Memory Remote Recall)
The Memory Remote Recall feature can recall the driver seat, outside mirrors, and adjustable pedals, if available, to previously stored RKE Memory positions when entering the vehicle.
Every time the ignition is placed in OFF, the positions of the driver seat, outside mirrors, and adjustable pedals, if available, are automatically stored to the RKE transmitter that was used to start the vehicle.
These positions are called RKE Memory positions and may be different than the previously mentioned Button Memory positions saved to the “1” or “2” buttons.
To automatically recall RKE Memory positions, unlock the driver door with the RKE transmitter, and open the driver door. On vehicles with Keyless Access, opening the driver door when an RKE transmitter is present will activate the RKE Memory recall. If the driver door is already open, pressing the RKE transmitter unlock button will also activate the RKE Memory recall. The driver seat, outside mirrors, and pedals, if available, will move to the previously saved RKE Memory positions.
This feature is turned on or off using the vehicle personalization menu.
See “Memory Remote Recall” under Vehicle Personalization on page 5‑40 for more information.
To stop recall movement, press one of the memory, power mirror, or power seat controls, or the adjustable pedal switch, if available.
If something has blocked the driver seat and/or the adjustable pedals, if available, while recalling a memory position, the recall may stop. Remove the obstruction; then press and hold the appropriate manual control for the memory item that is not recalling for two seconds.
Try recalling the memory position again by opening the driver door and pressing the RKE transmitter unlock button. If the memory position is still not recalling, see your dealer for service.
Some specific PI's to reference:
#PI0187A: Remote Memory Seat Recall Intermittent Operation or Inoperative - (Aug 26, 2010) <-Calls for a new driver's seat adjuster memory module and calibration.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when using the key fob to unlock the doors or opening the door on vehicles with passive entry (RPO ATH), the remote memory seat recall feature is inoperative.

#PIT4913B: Memory Seat Recall Inoperative From Key Fob - (Mar 11, 2010)
Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment that intermittently the memory seat will not recall when using the key fob, but will operate after using the memory 1 or 2 buttons on the driver's seat trim or after using the other key fob. This concern will only occur after the power seat is manually adjusted using the power seat switch.
Or this one?

#43 ·
There is no difference in the 2010-2014+ memory seat recall functions. The addition of CUE in '13 has no effect on the memory seats.

Wait a minute. I think I seen exactly what you were talking about in another thread. (Sorry, just woke up)

----------

Bugger, I can't find it any more. It was happening to extlady... where did it go?

It is sincerely my mistake 2ndprimetime. I quickly read over your question and focused on the loss of #2 setting rather then the also crunching the driver to the wheel.

It is not normal, and needs to be reprogrammed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.