Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Curb view selection for side mirrors

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  embassy 
#1 ·
Search was negative for prior discussion on this issue. I want my right mirror to turn down in reverse (not L and R, just R, like is selectable on all prior Cadillacs that I've owned in the last decade or so: simply leave the mirror selection button set to L if you want the L mirror down, center for no tilt, and R for R mirror down). On the other hand, my wife has a fit when the mirror goes down to curb view. To resolve this difference, obviously on this vehicle one would program right tilt for one fob and no tilt for the other fob, right? However, that doesn't work. First, the only selection available is either for BOTH mirrors to tilt, or for no tilt on either mirror. Moreover, whatever selection is made apparently applies to both fobs, meaning that my wife and I would have to reprogram every time each entered the car in order to have or not have mirror tilt. Bowing to the wishes of the primary driver (and likely avoiding severe retribution), the tilt feature thus simply stays off (I don't want the L mirror tilting down anyway). Thus, when I drive the car, I must guess just where the tires are vis a vis the curb when parallel parking, instead of being able to aim for close to but not scraping the curb.

Surely this arrangement wasn't intentionally done by any intelligent being. Is there some trick I (and the dealer) haven't come across in order to select a single mirror down and have different settings memorized for each fob? This situation is really irritating. Please tell me that I'm just overlooking something!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm assuming you're talking about the automatic mirror tilt feature in the Configuration Menu. No, there's no way to tilt only one mirror. Wouldn't that be annoying though, since the car has no way of knowing which side the curb is on? If you tie this in to the remote, it will automatically tilt the mirrors whenever you first get into the vehicle. I would suggest you keep the mirrors up for your wife and just manually tilt the mirror of your choice when parking. A few extra seconds of work on your part is worth it not to scratch your wheels.

Sube

#3 ·
Sube, I take it you haven't owned/driven other GM cars with mirror tilt feature - the mirror to tilt (right, left, feature off) is selectable. The 2010 SRX apparently has only two modes: tilt both mirrors or feature off. Who wants to take the time to manually change the mirror position every time he backs up? (And then run it back up again.) As neat as the SRX is overall, it's hard to believe someone on the design team thought this mode of mirror operation was useful.

Anyone have any tips for getting this system to work like other Cadillacs (and even my Avalanche)?

#5 ·
Sube, I take it you haven't owned/driven other GM cars with mirror tilt feature - the mirror to tilt (right, left, feature off) is selectable. The 2010 SRX apparently has only two modes: tilt both mirrors or feature off. Who wants to take the time to manually change the mirror position every time he backs up? (And then run it back up again.) As neat as the SRX is overall, it's hard to believe someone on the design team thought this mode of mirror operation was useful.
I hear you on this. My 07 STS had the right, left or off feature and it worked great. Especially with having each fob having its own setting. That is one thing that I am really missing in the SRX.

Only had my SRX for a month now, but just ran into a tilt down mirror issue myself this morning. Parallel parked and used the right had mirror tilt function to not scrape my tires. Good. Came back to the car and had to back up a bit to get out as someone had come in real close to my front bumper. Backed up and got enough space. Put into drive to pull out and checked my mirror first. What the *&%$. I can't see any traffic coming as my mirror was tilted down. Seems to take at least 8 seconds from the time that you put it into drive until the mirror tilts back up. So had to sit for that time waiting so that I didn't pull out and hit someone. Okay - not a long time to wait, but just a bit of a pain.

#4 ·
Understood. Woulda been a nice touch, but see "blind spot " mirror post here. Might give you a solution u could live with. I said goodbye to tilt-in-reverse when my Enclave (did 2 or nothing also!)was 1 week old....same for my SRX now. good luck

SS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.