Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Navtool

Tags
srx video
6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Smokin' SRX 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a product called NAV TOOL? They say they have a plug and play device for unlocking video and address entry on the 2010 SRX for around $400.00:suspect:. NAVTOOL.COM is the web site.

#4 ·
well you guys dont have to be sarcastic and snooty about it.... to someone who is loaded and isn't frightened to death at every little cadillac "we'll void ur warranty rule" but instead is more interested in customizing his caddy expierence, due to the fact that he's got his money situation all sewn up, then a nav tool might actually sound like a great idea..... let me explain.... i had an 05 viper that i enjoyed (before i had an idiot slam into me from behind at a stop light ;-(....) in it i had a kenwood 8 in flip up lcd screen with video input hookups.... i mounted a mac mini in the trunk that i set to automatically come on when the car was cranked. i had a verizon mifi for internet use, to control the mac i used a little 5 by 5 wireless keyboard, as well as a little pointer device that i used for the mouse... not only did i have all the wonders of a mac computer with internet access at my fingertips; but i also had a slingbox at my house, with a timewarner premium package connected.... and when it came time to go on my family business trips, it was much easier to persuade my sweetheart to come along for the ride knowing she would have an entertainment filled ride like no one else ..... to be truthful, it was off the hook..... now my warranty was already out, and had it not been, i would prob be just like tex.... however if money wasnt a huge thing for me, i would with out a doubt have that same set up in every future car i own for the rest of my days.... diamond jim had a simple question, and all he got was sarcasm... with a name like diamond jim, he may not give a flying whoop about a warranty

#7 ·
well you guys dont have to be sarcastic and snooty about it.... to someone who is loaded and isn't frightened to death at every little cadillac "we'll void ur warranty rule" but instead is more interested in customizing his caddy expierence, due to the fact that he's got his money situation all sewn up, then a nav tool might actually sound like a great idea..... let me explain.... i had an 05 viper that i enjoyed (before i had an idiot slam into me from behind at a stop light ;-(....) in it i had a kenwood 8 in flip up lcd screen with video input hookups.... i mounted a mac mini in the trunk that i set to automatically come on when the car was cranked. i had a verizon mifi for internet use, to control the mac i used a little 5 by 5 wireless keyboard, as well as a little pointer device that i used for the mouse... not only did i have all the wonders of a mac computer with internet access at my fingertips; but i also had a slingbox at my house, with a timewarner premium package connected.... and when it came time to go on my family business trips, it was much easier to persuade my sweetheart to come along for the ride knowing she would have an entertainment filled ride like no one else ..... to be truthful, it was off the hook..... now my warranty was already out, and had it not been, i would prob be just like tex.... however if money wasnt a huge thing for me, i would with out a doubt have that same set up in every future car i own for the rest of my days.... diamond jim had a simple question, and all he got was sarcasm... with a name like diamond jim, he may not give a flying whoop about a warranty
Hey folks, there's plenty of room for difference of opinion here. Sometimes the text "sounds" 10X more sarcastic than ever intended. Usually just honest, well intended, opinion. That's the limit of texting....ask Anthony Wieiner . LOL!

sosasura, I too love gadgets! And you sound like a responsible enough guy to intelligently control his toys while driving, but others on the road are not.(what was the guy that rear-ended you doing??) And yes, some here have been burned by modifying their rides only to be told, sorry, "voided warranty". No matter how much $$ someone has, paying a few thousand out of pocket to fix something sucks. Been there..... and I can afford it. Still sucks. That's all.

I personally don't want front dash movies or address input ability (by typing) to be available and would never get it myself. My family is on these roads too. We all know what's driving around out there. Many US States have condemned non-hands free talking/texting while driving. The reasons are very,very good. And irreversable....

Sure some will say ( and I do believe them) that it's for the passenger/spouse. But we all know about human nature. In a pinch even I have sent the quick cell text response..... "OK" ..while driving. I ain't dumb, just short on time most weeks. And human.

So yeah, the kits are out there to allow anything ya want to work, work, while driving. And they seem to work OK. Just go in with your eyes wide open. (no pun intended)

Finally, if you ever have a fatal fender-bender, and the responding authorities see a movie running on front dash, or your cell phone in Call mode, be advised. Civil suits are growing, and the $$ awards for the loss of a loved one are very high.

Drive safe, Feel free to ignore me if ya like. I won't mind. I haven't thought of everything either. Sorry if this puts anyone to sleep or pops their dream bubble, but the OP asked a question worth commenting on from this well-grounded Forum. He is now well informed. And he's ya got my .02........

peace
SS

PS..........don't forget, Onstar can download an address to your SRX (with or without the Nav screen), while you drive with eyes on the road, just for the asking. Enjoy the Summer! Arrive alive.

#6 ·
Most of the folks in this forum shy away from unlocking devices. I looked into it when I first got my SRX, and all I got on this forum was scolded for wanting to watch TV while I'm driving and kill, maim, and mow down every pedestrian on the east coast.

That's actually not what I want the unlock for; it's absolutely ridiculous that Cadillac will NOT let a passenger enter an Address in the NAV unit while the car is in motion. It is frustrating and inconvenient in this high-tech day and age.

The $400 dollars is probably for a hardware device that will get installed somewhere between the cars computer and the NAV unit.

#8 ·
... it's absolutely ridiculous that Cadillac will NOT let a passenger enter an Address in the NAV unit while the car is in motion. It is frustrating and inconvenient in this high-tech day and age.

The $400 dollars is probably for a hardware device that will get installed somewhere between the cars computer and the NAV unit.
IMO: You can call it Government Motors (all makes not just GM here) WILL NOT condone any car company to allow address input or cameras going when you are going forward etc etc GM and other manufactures will not want to be sued by someone who gets killed in a crash while someone is inputting information into a moving vehicle with an installed factory optioned Infotainment System.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.