Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Should I use Sport Mode during break-in period?

Tags
cts engine srx
4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  algiorda 
#1 ·
Since sport mode enhances lower end torque and rev's the engine higher, common sense dictates that I should probably avoid Sport Mode during the break in period of a new SRX. I've got 250 miles and want to ensure this baby breaks in properly.

Any other opinions on this?

Al

#2 ·
I personally don't feel that new cars require a breakin period. I always buy them, drive them like I want to, and except for my 08 CTS, I have never had any engine trouble. That was due to some kind of defect in the engine block, not to any type of break in period that I did or didn't do.

#3 ·
I personally don't feel that new cars require a breakin period. I always buy them, drive them like I want to, and except for my 08 CTS, I have never had any engine trouble. That was due to some kind of defect in the engine block, not to any type of break in period that I did or didn't do.
According to the manual (8-16), that assumption would be incorrect. The break-in procedure for the SRX is pretty detailed.

Sube

#5 ·
IMO, the only thing 'verboten' in engine break-in is to run the engine in one specific (non varying) rpm range; all else fair game (okay maybe I'd refrain from red lining the engine but certainly no need to baby it either). And I'd do an early oil change (for the first maintenance).

#8 ·
If you have ever heard of the Moto-Man Break-In procedure (this is kind of what I was referring to). Here is a link: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Now personally, I don't fully subscribe to his method, though I have adopted a modified 'MotoMan' break in. And as the original is highly controversial (so is my modified approach).

After completely warming the engine (and I don't mean just getting the water up to temperature; get that oil up to temp as well), I will run up and down the rpm range (note: redline not required but get it up around 2/3's or so) 5 or more times (as described in the 'MotoMan', then change the oil and filter.
CAUTION: As stated in the MotoMan article, do this in a safe location, very high speeds need not be required and use some common sense.

Again, this is what I do, read the article and make your own choice (it's almost impossible to do it wrong with the engine tolerances of modern engines but if you want the edge, 'run it like you stole it' at least till your breakin is complete.

#9 ·
Here's what i've always done and its never failed for me. Run the car WOT with periods of relaxed 'cool down' travel in between. You have to do this from a roll and never from a standstill/stop. I run it all the way to the top of the rpm band. Do not run the vehicle at the same rpm/speed as stated for long periods of time ( aka highway travel ) Than change all fluids from oil to diff/trans between 500-1500 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.