Power Folding Mirror Issue?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MI-SRX
  • 2 Post By njacobsen
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, Power Folding Mirror Issue? in Cadillac SRX Forums; Hey all. So there has been something that is such a minor thing that I haven't bothered to research it ...
    jcarlilesiu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Ice SRX4 Luxury Collection +Nav +RSE - 35,000M

Power Folding Mirror Issue?

Hey all. So there has been something that is such a minor thing that I haven't bothered to research it until now.

I noticed after using the power folding mirror button that it appears that the passenger side folds completely flat to the passenger door window while the drivers one seems to stick out slightly. It folds nearly all the way in but not as far as the passenger.

I dropped off the car today at the dealership from some service and asked them to look into it. They called and said everything is normal. When I go to pick it up, I am going to play with one on the floor and see if it has the same issue.

Anybody else notice this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sube5186 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Premium, 3.0L AWD

Re: Power Folding Mirror Issue?

This is perfectly normal. Under certain situations the power mirrors will need to be reset.

Page 1-20 of the manual:

Resetting the Power Foldaway Mirrors

Reset the power foldaway mirrors if:

. The mirrors are accidentally
    obstructed while folding.

. They are accidentally manually
    folded/unfolded.

. The mirrors do not stay in the
    unfolded position.

. The mirrors vibrate at normal
    driving speeds.

Fold and unfold the mirrors one time using the mirror controls to reset them to their normal position. A noise may be heard during the resetting of the power foldaway mirrors. This sound is normal after a manual folding operation.

Sube

I don't think you are understanding me Sube.

The mirrors have been reset and none of the conditions listed in the manual is what I am talking about.

When I power fold the mirrors, the passenger side folds completely in with the passenger door while the drivers folds nearly flat.

I understand the resetting of the mirrors and the reason why that is done... this isn't that.

Just curious if anybody has actually looked at theirs in the folded position to see if they are folded in to the same extent.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
    I don't think you are understanding me Sube.

The mirrors have been reset and none of the conditions listed in the manual is what I am talking about.

When I power fold the mirrors, the passenger side folds completely in with the passenger door while the drivers folds nearly flat.
    OK, gotcha. Checked mine, and they both fold completely flat. I made a point of checking this when I first discovered how to fold them. I think the passenger side mirror finishes folding a millisecond later than the driver's mirror, but they both fold completely.

Good idea checking another SRX on their lot. I've done that myself with other things. You might need to compare just to prove to them that this isn't normal, but you and I both already know it's not. Your problem sounds like something that should be easy enough for them to fix. Convincing them that a problem exist may be the hardest part. I hate when they do that.

Sube

OK, now I feel really silly. I think I spoke too soon. I went out and checked again. Looked a little more closely than the first time. What do you know. Mine are exactly the same way. Passenger side folds completely flat. Driver's side sticks out a wee bit more. This would account for why the passenger mirror takes a fraction of a second longer to fold in. I manually bended them in and then folded them completely out (backwards). Then I did the reset procedure. I repeated this twice. Still the same. I noticed the driver's side mirror physically won't go any farther inward, so this is not a defect in the motor. This is too weird to be a coincidence. I think it's designed this way, possible having something to do with the auto-dimming feature in the driver's mirror. I say that because that's the only thing I can think of that's different between the two. Don't lose any sleep over this one. Apparently, they may have been telling you the truth when they said this was normal.

Gotta hand it to you jcarlilesiu. Your eyes are obviously sharper than mine.

Sube

Phew... glad I am not the only one. I also tried to push on the drivers mirror a little and it wouldn't budge. Its folded completely closed, just not to the same degree as the passenger mirror.

I suppose I noticed it because I power fold the mirrors all the time. Living in Chicago, where space is tight, and side mirrors get wacked off by passing vehicles being a common occurance, I am constantly folding them.

From the interior of the vehicle it isn't very noticable, but approaching the vehicle from the outside head on, its its noticable.

I am an Architect for a living so I suppose I am just trained to pay close attention to detail.

Anybody else notice this?

Andyhi5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

jcarliesiu.

I notice your problem is same with me even it is quite a long time ago article now. : )
    Anyway I have troubled with driver side view mirror folding which is not completely flat folded. Due to the long history of folding mirror, my mirror have some undesirable sound of clicking when it is folded. I think the internal folding motor gear or some part of it is broken. It works but wiggled at final position.
    And I found the reason is the inside mirror position itself. Precisely its angle of mirror. If driver adjust its mirror angle to the inner side of the car, the mirror hits the car body when it is almost folded and that stops the mirror's flat folding.

Did you find the resolution with this? I think Cadillac should replace this parts since this is Design Faults.

I hope you have the answer. : )

Andy

westham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury

I just went and power folded my mirrors on my 2010 Lux and when folded the drivers side tip of the mirror housing is 4 &1/4 inches off of the window glass and the passenger is 2 & 1/4" off of the window glass, so what ever the reason is it appears to be common.

MI-SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '14 SRX4 Perf., Crystal Red Shale/Brownstone, DAP, spare

Just saw this old thread and it piqued my interest so out of curiosity I checked mine and they do the same, passenger side folds flatter than the driver, so it's consistent over at least 5 model years.

As to Cadillac redesigning and replacing it - why? Let's get real. The worst possible scenario is it's mildly esthetically unbalanced and then only if you're looking at the vehicle directly from the front or back and you're OCD about it. Myself I don't sit around looking at the car while the mirrors are folded, in fact I don't even sit around looking at it when they aren't.

Maybe Cadillac can put a shim in the passenger side so it stops closing at the same point as the driver side, i.e. sticks out further?
    TheCaptain likes this.

njacobsen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX AWD Premium, Xenon Blue, 20" Chrome

I think it is an additional vanity mirror of benefit to drivers who like to look at themselves from different angles.

If you look in either mirror, at least that is the way my 2013 mirrors line up, you will see your profile in the reflection from the opposite mirror. Look in your left mirror, and you will see the right side of your face; look in the right mirror and you will see the left side of your face.

Cadillac can add this as a feature for their vain customers.
    crump13 and MI-SRX like this.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium
    My 09 Escalade does the exact same thing. Dealer said ( with confidence ) it just needs to be reset, went to the truck, pushed it in manually, open and closed several times, nothing changed. He shook his head and said he has no idea.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.