A/C Major Issue - Service Tag - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac SRX Second Generation Forum - 2010+ Discussion, A/C Major Issue - Service Tag in Cadillac SRX Forums; The puddle is no larger than the one our 08 CTS used to make....
    Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

Re: A/C Major Issue - Service Tag

The puddle is no larger than the one our 08 CTS used to make.

bankO_mAn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

So this is the 4th time now my a/c has messed up but this time something w/ the controls isn't working as well as blowing HOT air. GREAT!!

Sorry abt the video i took it w/ my phone and didnt realize it would upload sideways

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjKi7LCeUIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fjKi7LCeUIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

GeeVee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Crystal Red AWD 3L Luxury & Performance SRX

I noticed my SRX is blowing cool air, evan on the low setting. Temperature outside was low seventies. I will be heading to the dealership to get things checked out shortly. As a sidenote, I received my cargo area mat the other day from AutoPride. It is the Velourtex model with the black and silver Cadillac crest/insignia on it. I`m very happy with the overall product quality.

PJ1520 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe

I have been following this discussion and see the angst about varying degrees of "properly cold" and "cool." Please bear with me as I am not mechanically inclined.....so I always need to call someone more in the know than I am.

It is my understanding that a properly cooling automobile a/c unit set on the lowest temperature should be fully capable of blowing about 44-45 degree F air as it exits the dash vents, at normal operating engine temperatures and while the car has been moving.

Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap gauge to measure your a/c blowing temperature.....tell them what you need or what you need to measure, the a/c blowing temperature of your car. My gauge looks like a very thin pencil with a small round stainless/glass gauge on one end, and the pencil-shaped end slides right into the a/c vents in the dash.

That will take out any/all of the back and forth in your discussions with your dealer about what output temperature is normal. The a/c unit is either working correctly or it isn't. The same with intermittant correct operation. Bring the gauge with you when you drop off the car for the fix. And bring it with you when you go to pick up the car to make sure everyone is on the same page.

This stuff should not be rocket science for a qualified ASE and GM-certified dealer mechanic, well experienced in automobile a/c units.

Before I threw the baby out with the bathwater and demanded a new car under the lemon laws, and what that process entails, there ARE private mechanics/gurus out there that CAN and DO fix stuff that apparently stump the dealers, and quickly. I have an electrical/electronics guru in my stable of "backups" and also a transmission guru. If you saw the number of high end cars sitting in their lots awaiting a fix, you would be astounded. They get the stuff the dealers either can't fix, or they handle the overflow from the dealers. The dealer just doesn't tell you they had to farm your vehicle out.

I feel your anger and frustration. These a/c glitches are understandable. The failure to diagnose and repair is inexcusable.

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap gauge to measure your a/c blowing temperature.....
    Good Advice! Now why didn't I think of that? Not only will I measure the air blowing out, I will take a video of it along with the climate control settings while it is happening. My dealer simply stated they could not reproduce the problem and that the software upgrades they performed will most likely resolve the issue... yea right! Waiting for my chrome trim pieces to come in, hopefully I can get a video of the car having this issue before then.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1520 View Post
    I have been following this discussion and see the angst about varying degrees of "properly cold" and "cool." Please bear with me as I am not mechanically inclined.....so I always need to call someone more in the know than I am.

It is my understanding that a properly cooling automobile a/c unit set on the lowest temperature should be fully capable of blowing about 44-45 degree F air as it exits the dash vents, at normal operating engine temperatures and while the car has been moving.

Go to a hardware store and buy a cheap gauge to measure your a/c blowing temperature.....tell them what you need or what you need to measure, the a/c blowing temperature of your car. My gauge looks like a very thin pencil with a small round stainless/glass gauge on one end, and the pencil-shaped end slides right into the a/c vents in the dash.

That will take out any/all of the back and forth in your discussions with your dealer about what output temperature is normal. The a/c unit is either working correctly or it isn't. The same with intermittant correct operation. Bring the gauge with you when you drop off the car for the fix. And bring it with you when you go to pick up the car to make sure everyone is on the same page.

This stuff should not be rocket science for a qualified ASE and GM-certified dealer mechanic, well experienced in automobile a/c units.

Before I threw the baby out with the bathwater and demanded a new car under the lemon laws, and what that process entails, there ARE private mechanics/gurus out there that CAN and DO fix stuff that apparently stump the dealers, and quickly. I have an electrical/electronics guru in my stable of "backups" and also a transmission guru. If you saw the number of high end cars sitting in their lots awaiting a fix, you would be astounded. They get the stuff the dealers either can't fix, or they handle the overflow from the dealers. The dealer just doesn't tell you they had to farm your vehicle out.

I feel your anger and frustration. These a/c glitches are understandable. The failure to diagnose and repair is inexcusable.
    Here in TX we have been having days where the temps reach 95. When turning on the A/C, it takes forever for this car to cool down. I'm wondering what residual effect a hot interior is going to have on what's coming out of the A/C vents. Even if I stuck the temp gauge into the vent, the heat of the vent tubing and interior car heat would have some effect on the reading because the initial state of the blower is to recirculate the hot air.

Steve.....it has also been in the 90s here this year with putrid humidity. I am not talking about how long it takes to cool the car down after it has been baking in the sun, just the air temperature exiting the dash a/c vents "while the car has been moving." By that time the a/c ductwork has been cooling down and the system has come up to its highest cooling temperature. You should be getting close to the coldest temperatures exiting the a/c vents within 3 minutes or so.

I may be wrong, but when you first fire up the car and drive off, the hvac system is not on recirculate. You have to manually select recirculate. When the car is turned off, the hvac defaults back to "fresh air." No?

I'll bet the temps inside the vehicle can easily and quickly top 140 degrees F. If you have the car a/c set to recirculate, you are trying to cool 140 degree air, not the much lower outside ambient temperature.

stevec5375 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale

I think before I would feel comfortable taking my car to the dealer and complaining about the A/C, I would have to drive it at least 15-30 minutes, take a vent reading with a gauge (with the sunroof closed).

Right now, I'm not 100% satisfied that this A/C system is capable of "comfortably" handling a Texas summer. My old 10 year old Infiniti QX4 did a better job.

bankO_mAn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5375 View Post
    I think before I would feel comfortable taking my car to the dealer and complaining about the A/C, I would have to drive it at least 15-30 minutes, take a vent reading with a gauge (with the sunroof closed).

Right now, I'm not 100% satisfied that this A/C system is capable of "comfortably" handling a Texas summer. My old 10 year old Infiniti QX4 did a better job.
    I agree with you it's already 100* outside and black on black doesn't help my situation! lol...I took it to George at Sewell in Grapevine who's customer service is top notch and has been helping me thru the a/c issue. He is actually getting frustrated with the car as they change everything they are told to change yet the same problem happens every couple of week. Im also wondering why my cadillac doesn't have the build date on the door jam w/ color code and all that stuff you usually find. Something tells me this car was made on a Friday after lunch before a Holiday weekend.

I had 4 consecutive black over black cars. When the a/c is working perfectly, it still takes much longer to cool down the cabin than a lighter colored vehicle with a lighter colored interior. You are not just cooling the air in the cabin. You are cooling down all of the interior surfaces as well. When it comes to generating and holding heat, you can't beat black.

On particularly hot days I open doors, roll down the windows, and open the roof just to let most of that 140+ degree air out. I might start the car and crank the a/c, step out for a minute or two, before I settle in and drive away!

I hope each of your dealers finds the fix.

Ponyman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Premium, Radiant Silver

I too hope you find a happy place with your air conditioners. My SRX blows such cold air that even I eventually have to back it off a little, and my wife says I must have many Eskimo's in my heritage. She keeps a small blanker in the car for her comfort. It is not the SRX airconditioning system, as a whole that is defiective, just your vehicles. I live in Southern Oklahoma, and it gets prety damn hot and humid here alo, and the SRX keeps me as cool as I want.

Willo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX

I noticed that nobody has mentioned the fact the SRX has a large open space behind the back seat which is a gigantic pool of heated air when the car is sitting. Unlike some of the larger GM SUV's that have a/c vents in the ceiling for rear passengers (such as the Enclave) the SRX relies on rather inefficient rear vents in back of the center console to provide a measure of air to the rear.

Until that large volume of air in the back has been tempered, the car will not feel cool and on a 95 degree day with high humidity, than can take up to ten minutes or longer. You may feel cold air coming out of the vents, but remember what the essence of a/c is..."conditioning" the air and removing the humidity component from it.

A car with good a/c will cool down much more quickly.

Other things to consider are number of people you are carrying...bodies are also heat generators and add to that "hot pool."

Driving around in my region, which is the humid and hot South, the SRX does an "as-expected" job of cooling down considering all the factors. It will cool much more quickly on a cloudy day...the direct sun at this time of the year does quite a number on heating up the sheet metal which is surrounding you with amazingly hot temperatures, especially if you have a dark color, which most of us seem to have.

Keep the fabric shade closed on the top...put your hand on it while you're driving on a sunny day and see how warm it gets...and that warmth enters the car if it's open.

And, a related question..using the remote start can give you a "jump" on cooling off a car sitting out in the baking sun, but I have found the distance from the car that it will work in is rather small, negating much advantage. Anybody else noticed this as well?

Bee iLL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Raven Black STS-V, 2010 Radiant Silver SRX Premium 2.8T

I understand ambient temp inside can effect the rate at which the car cools, however, once the car is cooled it should not start to warm back up with the A/C still at that same setting. That is what happens with my SRX. It gets to the point where I start sweating. Not normal. It should maintain the cooled environment.

Bee.....it shouldn't happen! You are right.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 13 SRX AWD 3.6L Premium - Platinum Ice Metallic

EDI (what i call the SRX's computer / Auto ) takes pretty good care of me. No complaints here.
    A/C blowing ice cold before i am out of the alley.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.